Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do I tell his teacher

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:00 am
My son is in first grade this year but in his yeshiva the boys are just starting to learn the ABC they seem to be going at a quick pace they are also learning some sight word too. I just had some workbooks in my house from my older kid and I was amazed how quickly he did it.
His reading is a at least a end of year first grade level
He can do addition, subtraction, on his own not even realizing he gets the concept of multiplication, time and money all learned on his own.
He only has English for one or 2 hours. I ask him if his teacher realizes he knows how to read the instructions on his ABC paper. And he said know. Since he taught himself all this with out teaching equipment there are a few stuff that are new to hi. For example he never new what an ax is. Or nod. Still alot of words he learned from seeing and reading them even harder words.
Should I say something to the teacher? Wait for p.t.a or perhaps not very important as long as son isn't complaining leave it.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:11 am
No idea, but your post has lots of spelling mistakes..
New=knew......

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:21 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
No idea, but your post has lots of spelling mistakes..
New=knew......

What a jerk thing to say.

OP, I think you should tell his teacher. You guys can create an enrichment plan together, to challenge him in class.

How is his limudei kodesh? Social levels?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:26 am
His teacher knows unless she is completely oblivious. It's obvious if a student is so far advanced.

If she doesn't know, then she is the wrong person for an enrichment plan.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:48 am
my dd is ahead and I said something to the teacher. but my daughter loves being challenged and doesn't like being bored...

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:00 pm
Do you have parent teacher conferences coming up? At my kids' schools they are in November. I think that would be a good time to bring it up, while you are there discussing how your son is doing, if you are reluctant to make a special call about this. Once you broach the topic you can then follow up with a phone call if you don't have enough time to discuss in detail.

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:00 pm
My son is a few years ahead of his class at least. He can read a 200 page plus library book in under an hour. He can learn sefarim in limudei kodesh years ahead. Hes in 3rd grade and can learn gemara on his own.

I was the opposite in that I kind of ignored his abilities because he had such intense social emotional needs and everything else seemed less important but when we had a full evaluation done I learned that this really does impact his day to day functioning in the classroom setting. You should reach out to the to teacher and also look into enrichment activities on your own.

Bruria

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:26 pm
Yes tell the teacher, also there might be other children that are at his level and if the school knows about it, maybe they can create groups based on levels so nobody's bored.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:47 pm
Tell the teacher
Also, let your child read, read, read
Almost everything (IMO except math) can be learned through reading

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:48 pm
I substituted for first grade this week. I absolutely could tell in one day where the kids were. It is that obvious who is more advanced and who is not. I could tell who is reading and where they were up to in math. A first grade class is still learning as a class.

You don't have to inform the teacher where your child is holding. It's kind insulting to the teacher. You can discuss your child's achievements, but don't think the teacher is oblivious.

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 3:07 pm
I think it's all in how the discussion is handled.

"Did you know that my son can read everything in your textbook, including the directions?" Versus:

"I was wondering if you had ideas for enrichment for my son; I'm sure you noticed that he already can read everything in the text including the directions to the teacher. How do you suggest we keep him from being bored?"

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:02 pm
Hi its OP overall my son is doing well. I think hes blnot the most social kid. He joins in games but alot of time likes playing on his own. Rebbe last year was not concern. He is also a end of year birthday so hes of the younges in his class. In Hebrew everything is new to him. So it's a little different than English, were he gets money and counts it up. or reads and asks me what the unfamiliar words mean. Hes a good kid so he's not disturbing. He enjoys coloring. He was very proud of his color by number or color by ABC sheet. That's why I'm torn if I should speak up or just leave it.

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 7:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi its OP overall my son is doing well. I think hes blnot the most social kid. He joins in games but alot of time likes playing on his own. Rebbe last year was not concern. He is also a end of year birthday so hes of the younges in his class. In Hebrew everything is new to him. So it's a little different than English, were he gets money and counts it up. or reads and asks me what the unfamiliar words mean. Hes a good kid so he's not disturbing. He enjoys coloring. He was very proud of his color by number or color by ABC sheet. That's why I'm torn if I should speak up or just leave it.

So then he doesn't need to skip a grade. But maybe the teacher can come up with "challenge worksheets," fun games and puzzles which bring the lesson to the next level, for anyone whom finishes their work early. That way, he can colour as long as he wants -- or have something else to do on the topic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children