Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Prepare me for the Road test in New York

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:01 pm
Hi I’m scheduled for a road test next week in Stony Point NY. I took lessons through a Monsey driving school and feel pretty much prepared.
Has anyone taken their test in Stony Point or Orangeburg and has advice for me?
Was your instructor nice? What did your instructor focus on? Anything specific to know?

TIA

tigerwife

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:15 pm
What helped me was taking a driving lesson in the area my road test was scheduled. Sometimes the new neighborhood and driving habits can throw you off.

vet techy

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:56 pm
I have a friend of the family who could prepare you for the test. He is a driving instructor for a Monsey driving school but does private lessons also.
An expert. He could take you out and in one lesson tell you what you need to improve.
I used him for all my kids and they all past on the first try.
Pm me for his number if interested.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:31 pm
Good luck on the road test. I’m in the same boat like and same location. I’ll be taking the road test soon although I haven’t booked yet cuz I still need practice.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 12:34 am
I didn't take my road test there, but for mine, the most stressful part was parallel parking, and to a much lesser degree, K-turns. Make sure you can do them smoothly and properly, because one small mistake can cause them to fail you.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 12:37 am
Some pointers:

When you do the K turn, as much as you want to do it meticulously, you also need to do it quickly. (Cost me 10 points)

When you finish up, and he tells you to pull up here, you're not done yet. Turn on your blinkers before pulling over. (Cost me 10 points)

I ended up passing with the max allowed points. One more infraction and I'd have failed.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 12:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi I’m scheduled for a road test next week in Stony Point NY. I took lessons through a Monsey driving school and feel pretty much prepared.
Has anyone taken their test in Stony Point or Orangeburg and has advice for me?
Was your instructor nice? What did your instructor focus on? Anything specific to know?

TIA

Yes, I took it at Stony Point, as did my two sons. With instructors, its the luck of the draw. And the instructors barely say a word to you, besides for giving instructions. The tip that I can give you is to vocalize all the safety checks you're doing - checking the side mirror, checking the back, and so on.

The instructors can miss a safety check you do, and mark you down for it. When I pulled out, I checked the mirrors, but the instructor had his eyes on the paperwork in his hand and he missed it. A similar thing happened to my son who just got his license a few weeks ago. He was marked down for two safety checks that he swore to me that he did. He failed the first time, and followed my advice the second time around and passed easily.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries