Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Modern ortho school for girls in brooklyn.
Previous  1  2  3

granty

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:32 pm
For those asking why Prospect didn't accept my youngest, she didn't test well in her interview and the school demanded 10 SEIT hours. However the board of ed only allowed for 5, so the school said no. (Meanwhile my daughter is at the top of her class in the sefardi school.)

As for Lev bais yaakov they put us on a 2 year wait list.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:35 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
She didn't say all yeshivish people do. She was just explaining why having a Tv doesn't really make a person MO. I don't see a need to feel insulted...

Also, dress is a huge part of it, like it or not. I believe in Torah Umadah, in the State of Israel, in being an Ohr Lagoyim... but I am not MO. Maybe maybe maybe someone could stretch and say I am modern machmir but I identify more with mainstream American yeshiva lifestyle (not yeshivish- yeshiva). Like yeshivas such as Ner Israel in Baltimore.
So I do think dress plays a role. (I dress in a more chareidi way.)
Unless maybe I was wrong about myself all along, and I am indeed MO...

I agree with you. I think dress does make a difference .

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:37 pm
granty wrote:
For those asking why Prospect didn't accept my youngest, she didn't test well in her interview and the school demanded 10 SEIT hours. However the board of ed only allowed for 5, so the school said no. (Meanwhile my daughter is at the top of her class in the sefardi school.)

How old is your youngest ? Can't believe they really test them at such a young age.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:40 pm
granty wrote:

I think you should place some pressure on Prospect, especially since you’re a parent there.
You also seem like you would be a good fit there.

Unless they’re giving you an excuse, and they just don’t think you’re a good fit or something.

Can you have a teacher in the Sefardi school place a call to the administrators and vouch for your daughter’s good academic level.

Or can you agree to supplement with some tutoring?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:50 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
She didn't say all yeshivish people do. She was just explaining why having a Tv doesn't really make a person MO. I don't see a need to feel insulted...

Also, dress is a huge part of it, like it or not. I believe in Torah Umadah, in the State of Israel, in being an Ohr Lagoyim... but I am not MO. Maybe maybe maybe someone could stretch and say I am modern machmir but I identify more with mainstream American yeshiva lifestyle (not yeshivish- yeshiva). Like yeshivas such as Ner Israel in Baltimore.
So I do think dress plays a role. (I dress in a more chareidi way.)
Unless maybe I was wrong about myself all along, and I am indeed MO...

MO is, to a large extent, a matter of affiliation and belief, ideology. Someone who asks all his shailas to charedi rabbis and flatly opposes girls learning gemara does not become MO simply because he also likes to watch Game of Thrones, wear shorts, or go mixed swimming. He might be described fairly as "modern," but he is not "Modern Orthodox."

Same vice versa. A woman who asks her shailas to YU rebbeim, says hallel on Yom Haatzmaut, and attends a co-ed daf yomi shiur is not categorized as "chareidi" just because she wears tights and a sheitel.

forever21

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:24 pm
granty wrote:

I hope I don’t offend you with what I’m about to say but I do think there is a different reason why they’re not accepting you and they’re simply making excuses that your daughter needs 10 hours . Unless of course, they need to fill up the seits and so they’re pressuring you to ask the doe for more hours

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:26 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I doubt they would accept someone who is open to owning a TV.

I told them I have a tv when we had our interview. . They accepted us. My dd never even watches tv. All the "frummy' girls in her class who don't own a tv, know more that's going on , on the tv than my daughter. They watch netflix and shows on phones. My daughter even had issues bc she never wanted to talk about that stuff! I don't consider myself MO just bc I have a tv.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics