Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you have to pay for lunch at DC's schools?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:01 pm
We're a mostly boy family, and in all the years of sending all my boys to all different yeshivos in Brooklyn, I never had to pay a penny for school lunch, it was always included. Now B"H I have a yummy DD who's up to school. I'm very happy with her school, but they charge several hundred dollars each year for school lunch.

Technically it's optional if you want to send lunch with your daughter every day, but that's a huge hassle, and also almost all the girls in her class pay for school lunch, so I don't want her to feel different and left out. Just wondering what's the norm, and if there's a reason why boys' and girls' schools would be different. Feel free to include your location if it's relevant.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:04 pm
Ive only had girls in school and I always had to pay for their school lunch or opt out and send from home.
NYC Bais Yaakov type schools

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're a mostly boy family, and in all the years of sending all my boys to all different yeshivos in Brooklyn, I never had to pay a penny for school lunch, it was always included. Now B"H I have a yummy DD who's up to school. I'm very happy with her school, but they charge several hundred dollars each year for school lunch.

Technically it's optional if you want to send lunch with your daughter every day, but that's a huge hassle, and also almost all the girls in her class pay for school lunch, so I don't want her to feel different and left out. Just wondering what's the norm, and if there's a reason why boys' and girls' schools would be different. Feel free to include your location if it's relevant.

I think if majority of school is eligible for federal free lunch program, then the entire school is eligible for free lunch (regardless of financial eligibility) However, if majority is not eligible for free lunch, then it's income based if you are eligible to get free lunch

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:26 pm
I don't pay for lunch, girls and boys. The schools have lunch program.

gingleale

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:35 pm
Never sent to a school where lunch was included. Options are always to send lunch or to pay for school lunch.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:02 pm
we have to pay. I get the days my kids like. if you are low income you get it for free so most of the class gets it so I felt bad telling my kids they couldn't have it. kind of feels like the reverse discrimination, the poor get but if you aren't poor you don't.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:14 pm
In Brooklyn, both my boys and girls have free lunches (and breakfast). For everyone.

Eta- at my girls school, they don't allow girls to bring their own lunch unless it's due to allergies or similar.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:39 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
we have to pay. I get the days my kids like. if you are low income you get it for free so most of the class gets it so I felt bad telling my kids they couldn't have it. kind of feels like the reverse discrimination, the poor get but if you aren't poor you don't.

In my kids' school, at least, low-income families aren't necessarily on free, but a nice number do get reduced if they aren't dirt poor (which is huge savings, I'm not knocking it; just that some people do think twice even if they are low income before picking lunches Wink )

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:46 pm
I grew up in Brooklyn public school in the 70s
We had to pay for lunch or brown bag it.
Only those financially eligible got reduce or free lunch
I don’t know if that still holds true in public school

Some schools don’t allow outside food so I guess it’s included in tuition.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:40 pm
Don’t get boys or girls included.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:44 pm
I do home lunch for all my kids. Its either pay or bring from home. Neither of my kids schools even participate in the government program for income eligible families. My sons schools allows you to pay for individual lunches so I let him pick once a week to get school lunch and he loves it!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:47 pm
Yes both for DD’s and DS’s and it’s a pretty penny $5.50. We only do pizza on Fri and as an occasional treat. Most people I assume do this as well. Haven’t heard any complaints from the kids.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:21 pm
Los Angeles, CA. No free school lunch here. Not every school even has an option to buy. I won't buy as its too expensive and not worth it- it saves me from making a sandwich when I still have to pack snacks, a drink etc.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:31 pm
gingleale wrote:
Never sent to a school where lunch was included. Options are always to send lunch or to pay for school lunch.

What she said. There’s no such thing as a free lunch! 🤷‍♀️

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 12:43 pm
School and yeshiva gives breakfast and lunch.
I think most chasidish and Brooklyn schools are like that. Correct me if I'm wrong

mha3484

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 1:05 pm
We have a hot lunch program in Chicago. There is a range from free to reduced from the government) and for those who on paper dont qualify but still find the fees too high there are alternate prices you can choose its the honor system through the local Agudah office.

There is also a full price if you feel that you want to pay that. The max is around $700 per kid for 10 months of school. I think the alternate rate was around $500 and then if you fill out a USDA form there were two choices in the $300 and $400 range.

I think they make it worthwhile for people to sign up for hot lunch. If I took the lower rate and divided it by 20 school days its between 2 and 3 dollars a meal. I would spend more then that making home lunch that my kids are wiling to eat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics