Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
List of questions for organized people- help!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:51 pm
List of questions for all you organized people out there. I try really hard not to keep clutter. I always look around and see what I can throw out. But yet my house still has so many areas that just look cluttered! The items are needed though! So how do I organize things that are not able to be thrown out? Ok here we go

Where do you keep all the bottles of creams, lotions, perfumes, vitamins, makeup, removers brushes hair products etc.. that clutter up my dresser top?

How do you keep your makeup organized yet easy to grab in the morning? I bought a clear makeup tray holder thingy- and the only thing in it is the makeup I dont use! The makeup I use daily is on the dresser in front of it.

Where do you keep cases of water and seltzer bottles etc?

How do you store snacks in the cabinet so there isnt a jumbled mess of chip bags and cookie boxes?

Where do you keep items of various projects you are working on, such as right now my dining room table is covered in poster boards and paper, folders and copies of papers etc.. for a project I need to present to my office. Before shabbos I take everything and dump on floor of my room! and put it back on table for week. but all week long table looks messy.

Where oh WHERE do you keep receipts??!!! I always keep receipts for a few weeks after buying things in case I need to do a return and after a few months I know I can safely throw them out but until then? Where do they go?

My pocketbook is also a jumbled mess. How do I keep that neat?

Please please help.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:02 pm
Receipts I safety pin to the clothes tag until I wear it. Throw it out with the tag you pull off. Once you have worn it, no need for receipt.

If you don't have room, don't buy cases. Buy 6 bottles of seltzer a week if that's how much you use.

If you can rearrange your dresser drawers and empty one for makeup, that would be ideal. Line it well with pretty liner so it doesn't get dirty, and keep it open while you apply your makeup. Put back items as you are done with them.

Hairbrushes, choose 2 and that's it you should keep. Buy a pretty pen holder and store them standing up in the holder on your dresser.

Vitamins, if used daily, keep on a lazy Susan inside a kitchen cabinet. Whatever you don't use, give away.

Makeup remover, cream and lotion should be stored in the medicine chest of your bathroom.

Snack bags go into bins that have easy reach and fit into the cabinet.

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:43 pm
I have a long nail above the fridge and hold my receipts on it.

If you are in middle of a project, it's ok if the items stay out on the table. But at night, organize it neatly on the table.

Cases of water and seltzer I keep in the coat closet.

Surrendered

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:54 pm
*I keep receipts in a folder in the file cabinet.
*makeup that you use daily, goes into a little container or cosmetic bag in the top drawer of your dresser. Use and put away right away.
*creams/lotions/perfume go into a large container in the second drawer of the dresser.
*snacks go into a cheap clear oblong container in the pantry, closed with a mini clip.
*vitamins goes into the medicine chest on a lazy susan.
*paperwork should go into file folders when done working on the project that day, so that they don't just lie around.
Maybe have a designated shelf in the dining room, or in your personal drawer to keep it overnight.
If the posters are large, roll it up and put a rubber band around it and place it behind stuff, it shouldn't be out.
Or place it under your bed.
*cases can sit outside at entrance door, in the coat closet or if you have any place you can keep storage in the house...
*pocketbook: I keep little stuff in mini sandwich bags, than all odds & ends items into a cosmetic bag in the handbag. Cell phone in one pocket, wallet and (current receipts) in another pocket.
You need to every-so-often, unpack all items, clean it out and replace only what you actually use.

Hatzlacha

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:13 pm
. I have a little basket that I divided into compartments with a variety of little boxes and tubes that I had around, and put all my daily morning routine stuff in it: makeup—only what I use all the time; brush, comb, mirror, tweezers, sunblock, nail file, nail polish, that sort of thing. If I plan to wear jewelry the next day, those pieces, in a small box or ziplock bag, go in the basket, too. I tote the whole thing to wherever I’m going to put myself together, usually the bathroom. Extra makeup for special occasions is in a separate box stashed in a drawer.

Any time you have multiple small things, whether it’s pill bottles or makeup jars or toy blocks or bills to pay, find a vessel to put them in: a box, canister, basket, bin, bowl, tray, whatever. If the vessel is clear you can see the contents, but if you want to cut visual clutter, use a solid-color opaque container. You can further cut visual clutter by painting all the vessels the same color or covering them with matching self-stick vinyl aka Contact.

You can further organize your boxes and bins by dividing them into compartments with rectangles of cardboard or plastic, or by putting smaller boxes without lids into bigger boxes.

I collect handy-looking containers—not too many, just a few—to have on hand for such uses. Items in drawers and on shelves are corralled in silverware trays, plastic containers or tin boxes from things like tea bags and salad greens, divided boxes of chocolates( the best for earrings, but you could also use ice cube trays or egg cartons) you name it.

Credit card receipts go in an envelope till I get the bill.

I don’t keep little snack packs around but if I did they would go in a big shoebox or a bin or tub of some sort.

Surrendered

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:24 pm
Nice ideas periwinkle.
I love that you don't spend on store bought containers and make use of boxes you anyways have and decorate it with designed contact paper. Massive idea!
I also like that you put receipts into an envelope, instead of in a file folder, like me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:44 pm
Ok this is enlightening. I didnt realize the drawers in dresser are meant to be used for bottles and makeup. I have all my clothing socks pjs in the drawers.
I need to get a folder for receipts it seems. Though what is a long nail on fridge for receipts? How does it work? sounds interesting.
I need to go find some boxes and bins and things it seems.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok this is enlightening. I didnt realize the drawers in dresser are meant to be used for bottles and makeup. I have all my clothing socks pjs in the drawers.
I need to get a folder for receipts it seems. Though what is a long nail on fridge for receipts? How does it work? sounds interesting.
I need to go find some boxes and bins and things it seems.

Boxes and bins make everything more manageable. I just bought nice looking bins from Walmart, a pack of 4 cloth bins for $14.
Makeup: I keep my brushes in a coffee mug, next to a small tray that has my every day essentials - eye liner, mascara, brow pencil, tweezer.
Behind that I have an acrylic storage thingy with the rest of my makeup (which I use for weddings and events).

Vitamins: I keep in a plastic bin in an upper kitchen cabinet.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:08 pm
I store things where I use it. I have an over the toilet bathroom shelf for hygiene supplies and I have a little basket near the bathroom sink for make up. In a Monsey bathroom, there is a door between the sink area and the toilet and tub.
There are little shelves over the kitchen sinks for medicines and pushkas.

yiddishmom

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 12:09 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]Though what is a long nail on fridge for receipts? How does it work? sounds interesting. [/quote]

Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't explain it right.

You know the spike holder that stores and restaurants use to keep their receipts? I use a long nail as the spike, and I keep it above the fridge.

yiddishmom

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 12:10 am
Here, I found it on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H.....0S62M

Good luck OP!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics