Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Earring posts

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:43 am
The yichud room gift thread made me think about this again, although I've discussed it with my husband in the past.
My yichud room gift was a stunning pair of teardrop diamond earrings. When we were newly married I wore them for shabbos and yom tov all the time and I don't remember having an issue with them. A couple of years later we moved OOT and I didn't feel comfortable wearing them as much, just a different crowd.

I've been married now almost 15 years and I have tried them on a couple of times but the posts seem to be wider than my other earrings and whenever I put them in they are hurting me.
That's really strange because I have had my ears pierced for 25 years so I'm not sure why yet this point my holes would be any different than when I was younger.
At one point I mentioned this to my husband and I asked him if I could possibly sell the earrings and buy a new pair and he was horrified. I explained to him that at this point they're just sitting in my closet and I can't wear them, but he was not interested in discussing Sad

Has anyone had this before? Any ideas how to fix them or my ears? LOL

Elfrida

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:57 am
Do you have any other earrings of a similar size? It could be that the weight is an issue, rather than the posts.

If you take them to a good jeweller, he would be able to see if it is possible to change the posts for something you would find more comfortable, without affecting the actual earring.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:58 am
I agree. Change the post or backing to make it comfortable.

mom2mysouls

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 10:14 am
Perhaps you weren't wearing earrings every day? Normally, holes don't close up like that when one had it pierced so long ago.

I took my diamond earrings to adjust. The clamp was pressing down hard and was unconfortable. They loosed it and it helped somewhat, but it's not something I wear every day anyway.

Problem with selling is you barely get your value for it...Sometimes not even worth it.

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 10:16 am
mom2mysouls wrote:
Perhaps you weren't wearing earrings every day? Normally, holes don't close up like that when one had it pierced so long ago.

I took my diamond earrings to adjust. The clamp was pressing down hard and was unconfortable. They loosed it and it helped somewhat, but it's not something I wear every day anyway.

Problem with selling is you barely get your value for it...Sometimes not even worth it.

My earring holes close up all the time. I usually need to just push strongly through, deal with some blood and pain after, no matter how long the earrings have been in for.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 10:34 am
Everything changes with time. You grow more or less sensitive to environmental agents, you grow scar tissue, parts of you respond to the pull of gravity...

I can no longer tolerate many of my earrings, either, and every so often I find another pair that is no longer comfortable. I used to think it was the weight of the earrings, because I was never able to tolerate heavy ones, but now it's even light ones, sometimes even just little studs. They don't hurt, but they're just not comfortable. I chalk it up to the aging process and cheerfully give them away to dd/ddil, but none of them was a wedding gift from my dh.

A reputable jeweler should be able to change the posts. Is it possible you've grown sensitive to the nickel in the gold? Ask for surgical steel posts in that case.

OTOH, it may have nothing to do with the material or size of the posts, in which case changing the posts may be a waste of money. How about removing the posts altogether and wearing the earrings as a pendant on a chain? Either make two individual pendants (give one to your eldest dd when she gets married, maybe); or have the jeweler combine both into a single unit, one above the other for a long vertical drop; or convert one to a pendant and the other to a brooch or stickpin.

mom2mysouls

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 12:51 pm
nchr wrote:
My earring holes close up all the time. I usually need to just push strongly through, deal with some blood and pain after, no matter how long the earrings have been in for.

It is possible the skin never healed and if the tissue is raw, it will grow new skin and close up slightly.

I had that too...repierced my ears several times..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics