Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do you decide where to give your maaser
Previous  1  2  3

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:41 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Nobody I know gives large sums to everyone who rings their bell. It's just not possible and it's not a good idea, in any case. But if someone gets $5 from every house they collected by, they can end up with a few thousand dollars by the end of the day. That's not so bad.

I live in Lakewood and here the meshulachim have to get a letter certifying that they are legit.

I would imagine that the very wealthy give bigger donations.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 5:05 pm
For those that use Masser for tuition, I did too at some point.

Awhile back, we decided to get super strict about Maaser, we account for every penny and none goes to tuition. Despite the fact, it was really difficult to do, we did it.
All of a sudden, small changes started happening and we BH keep ding better na better financially.

Personally, I attribute it to giving correct Maaser and not using for tuition.

I give to family, local organizations, local Shul, local schools and friends that run organizations.

happyone

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 7:55 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
For those that use Masser for tuition, I did too at some point.

Awhile back, we decided to get super strict about Maaser, we account for every penny and none goes to tuition. Despite the fact, it was really difficult to do, we did it.
All of a sudden, small changes started happening and we BH keep ding better na better financially.

Personally, I attribute it to giving correct Maaser and not using for tuition.

I give to family, local organizations, local Shul, local schools and friends that run organizations.

two people I know struggles financially both said when they maaser seriously despite the challenge they saw unreal bracha in their financial situation. one just made.chasunna and as thanks to hashem paid for a poor.kallahs full.wedding the night of her sons wedding. this from a family that four years prior.could not.walk into a grocery.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 10:08 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I won't give to people who come to the door (except neighbor's kids I know) because it only encourages more people to disturb me. We can go months without a knock whereas before it was several everyday. It was driving me crazy. Collectors are like cats. If you feed them, they keep coming around.

I give to chabad, Rabbi, school, friends IRL, and ladies on this site. I also give money to my Rabbi to distribute as he sees fit. For all I know, he gives it to collectors.

Some of the collector's have life stories that are more tragic than anything written up in fiction. They are not cats. The have a tikkun that I am happy was not allotted to me.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 1:05 pm
Just to chime in that we see tremendous bracha from giving maaser (we give chomesh - 20%). At first it was so hard for me, we were struggling and giving away 20% felt so irresponsible and wasteful.

But the brachos are kind of hard not to see, B"H although we are not (yet) wealthy we are doing so much better. And now it makes me happy to give to other poor families. Some other families give to our organization, and that enables us to get paid... Kol Yisrael Areivim.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics