Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Shwekey Song "I am Alive" Why is it 340 days?

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 12:52 am
I'm scratching my head over this line..

"Three hundred and forty days,
Thanking Him ten million ways,
That I am alive..."

It can't be referring to a regular year (365 days) or to the Jewish calendar year (354 or 384 if it's a leap year).

Anyone know the backstory?

groovy1224

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 12:56 am
https://mishpacha.com/living-h.....live/
Quote:
t’s been several weeks since Yaakov Shwekey’s exuberant new song “I Am Alive” has been released and the question has been asked, again and again: What is meant by the lyrics, “It’s been 340 days / thanking you ten million ways / that I am alive, I am alive.” What’s the significance of the number? It’s been 340 days since what?

A generation ago, the music superstar’s grandparents were committed members of Rav Avigdor Miller’s shul in Brooklyn. The respect went both ways, Yaakov Shwekey says. “Rabbi Miller would say that people seeking blessings could go to my grandmother, Mrs. Adele Shwekey.” The Shwekeys lived with many of Rav Avigdor’s life lessons. One of those teachings was that we have to be grateful for each day, and he had a practical way to implement it. “Rav Miller suggested that we count each day beginning with Rosh Hashanah, numbering each one as another gift from the Ribbono shel Olam. My brother-in-law adopted the minhag, and it motivated us to do so as well.”

The words to the hit song were written 340 days after last Rosh Hashanah (with 5779 being a leap year, the Jewish calendar is longer than usual). Now, on the eve of a new Rosh Hashanah, Rav Avigdor Miller’s lesson continues to inspire.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 1:00 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
https://mishpacha.com/living-higher-I-am-alive/

Makes sense now. Thanks for posting.

Moonlight

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 3:02 pm
Lol just came to look this up
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics