Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is there a need for a Dental Organization

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 10:27 pm
Hi,

Would love to hear your take on this.

3 weeks ago, on Chol hamoed, I suddenly started experiencing excruciating tooth pain .
I needed an appointment NOW.
My regular dentist was not in. And I had no clue where to turn to.
The pain was unbearable. It was right up there with labor and delivery (I had a posterior drawn out hell of a birth with no epidural).
The Gemara even backs me up about toothaches being the worst kind of pain.
Yom Tov passed in agony and if I thought I'm over the, the fun just began.
My dentist told me I need to do a surgery and gave me some endodontists to call.
I called all of them and none of them could give me an appointment right away. First a consultation and then an appointment. Don't forget I'm in excruciating agony for 5 days already. They wanted $1500-$2000 for the treatment but still couldn't give me a same day appointment.
I tried calling other places, tried asking around. All I got from people was "good luck, there's nothing like dental pain, but nobody to talk to".
I don't get it. There are organizations for literally everything. But for the thing that the Gemara says is the worst kind of pain, there is nothing out there?
I wanted to hear what others have to say about this.

My plan for an organization would be:
Referrals
Same day appointments
And help with funding.

Is this something you relate to, like an organization you would donate to?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

whewpy

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 10:32 pm
Definitely important

Amarante

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 10:38 pm
I sympathize with your plight as I have unfortunately had lots of dental work.

However my experience, at least where I live in Los Angeles, is that my dentists will always see my the same day or at most the next day if necessary. The receptionist always asks if I am in pain or if it’s an emergency and somehow fits me in. This has included dental surgeon, endodontist and my regular dentist when I have broken a filling.

I do live in a major city with lots of dentists so this might of course be a case of supply and demand. In my experience, my regular dentist will often be able to make a difference because he has relationships with other dentists.

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 10:57 pm
OP, are you paying out of pocket? I do and never have a problem. If you are limited by insurance or government program, that might explain it.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 11:26 pm
Oy - I feel for you!!
So painful!

I recently had a dental issue.
Didn’t have that problem bh.
My regular dentist sent her X-ray to the oral surgeon and I had an appt the next day.
Yes it was crazy expensive...

I have bad teeth and usually when I needed an emergency appointment my regular dentist got me in where I needed.

Good luck! Hope by now it is taken care of and you feel better.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 11:28 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
OP, are you paying out of pocket? I do and never have a problem. If you are limited by insurance or government program, that might explain it.

Yes I paid for it.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 11:29 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Oy - I feel for you!!
So painful!

I recently had a dental issue.
Didn’t have that problem bh.
My regular dentist sent her X-ray to the oral surgeon and I had an appt the next day.
Yes it was crazy expensive...

I have bad teeth and usually when I needed an emergency appointment my regular dentist got me in where I needed.

Good luck! Hope by now it is taken care of and you feel better.

Thanks. Yes, finally taken care of.

Bruria

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 2:26 am
Some Dental schools like NYU have walk in emergency for dental, I'm sure other universities do as well. While it's not ideal, if it's really necessary, might be worth looking into.

meme6

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 3:03 am
There’s many dental hospitals near me westchester , Columbia and montefoire which cane help with this right away and are free.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics