Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
She ruined my day

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:22 am
Maybe I'm ultra sensitive, but I am literally crying...
The cashier in my local small grocery said to me "your baby is so nervous, she's always crying"...
My 18 month old is usually fine if the grocery trip is short, but if there's a line, she'll keep trying to get treats from the display near cashier (evil stores!!) and then cries when I don't let. Today, she was generally cranky, probably from teething.
Anyway, I really took what she said personally and cannot stop crying. Probably doesn't help much that I'm hormonal.
Just a vent

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:30 am
Our identities are so wrapped up in our kids, and that comment would throw me off too even if I knew it wasn’t true. Not a nice or necessary thing to say. I would focus on the fact that she doesn’t know you or your baby outside of ringing up your groceries, and move on.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:39 am
Oy, that's rude! This comment would also make me upset.
I'd try to be dan l'kaf that she's going through a rough time now.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:40 am
She did not ruin your day. You ruined your own day. Take responsibility for yourself. She said something to you, you did not like it. You are the one that is choosing to cry instead of moving on. This Vicitim mentality is only hurting yourself.
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent!" (I think......First Lady Eleanor...)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:45 am
Rachel Shira wrote:
Our identities are so wrapped up in our kids, and that comment would throw me off too even if I knew it wasn’t true. Not a nice or necessary thing to say. I would focus on the fact that she doesn’t know you or your baby outside of ringing up your groceries, and move on.

Thanks for your response. Exactly the perspective I needed to hear.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:53 am
I absolutely HATED those long lines when my kids were young! They'd get so restless after 2 minutes and I'd have to jiggle and juggle and try to distract them in a million way and it still didn't help. How many 18 months old sit in one place for more than 2 minutes?
OP, this is so normal. Please don't let it ruin your day.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:00 am
OP, I've had so many comments from cashiers, receptionists, random people, etc. that made me so upset. It's worse when they're about my kids.

I totally hear you. Try not to let it ruin your day. She's just a random person making a random comment. Nothing to do with you.

I had a receptionist say to me recently, "You bite your nails?! My grandson does that, he's a baby! You're like a baby!" Wow, very nice of you, lady.

tichellady

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:29 am
It’s a weird comment. She sounds clueless about children

Stars

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:48 am
I agree the candy displays near the registers are evil. I try very very very hard to shop without kids whenever possible.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 8:57 am
Thanks for all the nice responses!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:36 am
Some people are socially awkward and unprofessional. This has nothing to do with you or your parenting abilities.

If you know that there's nothing wrong with your baby, then what do you care? Stop giving strangers power over your moods, and get a grip.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette