Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Small kitchen ideas

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 4:34 pm
So I might possibly be moving into a larger house but the kitchen is really small abt quarter size of my current large one (I'm talking specifically the counter cooking area). Right now I have alot of stuff on the counters like bread bin, kettle, fruit basket etc. So can any ladies with a small kitchen give me good ideas / hacks for coping and settling into this size.
(Obv right now refurbishing is not an option)
Much appreciated.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 4:42 pm
Some people get a small portable cart to put that stuff.
Others just don't have the luxury of having (any or more than 1 or 2) small appliances on their counter.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 4:44 pm
Actually, I would prioritize a small appliance over a fruit basket. Fruit lives in the refrigerator, with the exception of bananas, which hang from a banana tree, which has a diameter of about 5 inches.

I dont have an electric kettle. My regular kettle lives on my stove, with the exception of the rare times that I am using all 4 burners, or am frying milchings or fleishigs and don't want it to get dirty.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 4:51 pm
[quote="BetsyTacy"]Actually, I would prioritize a small appliance over a fruit basket. Fruit lives in the refrigerator, with the exception of bananas, which hang from a banana tree, which has a diameter of about 5 inches.

I also have those on the counters aswell that's my issue Can't Believe It

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 4:56 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]
BetsyTacy wrote:
Actually, I would prioritize a small appliance over a fruit basket. Fruit lives in the refrigerator, with the exception of bananas, which hang from a banana tree, which has a diameter of about 5 inches.

I also have those on the counters aswell that's my issue Can't Believe It

You can get a 3-tiered hanging basket to hold fruit and other items.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 4:56 pm
Bananas sit in middle of the kitchen table. All other fruit stays in the produce drawer of the fridge.
Install a hot water dispenser near your sink faucet and gst rid of the urn except for shabbos.
Bread bin goes into the cabinet or pantry.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:12 pm
Right, op, so what we are saying is that even in small kitchens in houses, there is usually some "discretionary" space on your countertop. So we are saying,lose the electric kettle and the fruit basket and the bread bin and maybe you will have room for 1 or 2 key small appliances which you use every day, often multiple times a day. Those are worth the very expensive real estate of counter or cart top space in a smallish kitchen.

(I know there are some apt kitchens with really no counterspace, but we are talking about a house here.)

cbg

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:26 pm
Is there anywhere you can put floating shelves/cabinets.
This Can free some kitchen cabinet space for those counter things to be put away

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:49 pm
If there's a window over the sink, run shelves across it or rig up something akin to an Israeli dish drainer in front of the window.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics