Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Did you/your child change schools? How old? How did it go?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:46 pm
We know that eventually we will need to relocate but would like to stay where we are as long as possible. However we don't want the move to be hard on our kids. Right now our kids are preschool age and under. I know when kids get older changing schools can be really hard on them so ideally although we would like to stay as long as possible where we are, we would like to move before the change would be hard on them. Until what age is it fairly easy for a child to ajust to a new school? If you or your child changed schools, how'd it go?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:52 pm
my children switched school's in fourth grade
they adjusted well and made many new friends

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:54 pm
I moved from ISrael to the usa in fourth grade
I made new friends

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:57 pm
I think it's not only based on age but on child and the class they are switching in to in terms of kids. Below is my experiance.

My older dd switching in kindergarten (pre-1a) (to school a) and it was hard. We moved and we sent her to camp with most of her new classmates and the kids were really not welcoming at all. It was horrid. Once school started she broke her leg which made her famous Wink and helped but after that wore off she still had a hard time but did have at least two friends.

We then switched her again to a new school (school b) but she went with a a friend from that school. No problem adjusting at all and then in 4th grade we switched her back to the first school (school a). Some kids moved out, other kids had moved in so it was a new "class" with new dynamics. She seems ok. Don't think she's necessarily having a much harder time with class politcs then the girls who've been there all along." She is happy she switched but not over the moon happy. Just thinks it's better for her.

My next child was switched from school b to school a in kindergarten so she switched in to the same grade with the same teachers as my first child did. Her transition has been much smoother. She just keeps raving about her new school, how she is so incredibly happy that she switched. There's only one other girl in her class in school a but she has recess with pre-k and she doesn't care. The kids are nice and that's all she cares about. She struggled socially in her old school.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:10 pm
My 4-year old has been in 3 different schools so far, and will switch to another school next year (where he'll hopefully stay until high school). B"H he's a happy, bright, well-adjusted kid and makes friends easily.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:12 pm
My sister and I changed schools after we moved. I was in 5th grade and she was in 7th. She actually had an easier time with the switch because of her more easygoing and friendly personality.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:32 pm
I think it so depends on the child and the class they will be switching into and other factors..
I switched at the begining of 4th grade and 11th grade. Both times went fine. I didn't make any super close friends in 11th since those girls had mostly been together for a very long time (smaller school) but I did well enough to not feel too lonely. It was only 2 years and I was just happy to be away from my previous school.

tweety1

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:35 pm
My DD changed schools in 2nd grade within the same community. She adjusted very well bh. I sent her to the DC the summer before she started school so she should get to know some girls.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:40 pm
I switched in ninth grade and made new friend s

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 6:01 am
We moved when my oldest was going into 4th. It was the best thing that could have happened to him at the time. Absolutely no problems integrating. His brother under him went into 3rd (came from 1st)...also integrated beautifully. Interestingly enough, the "hardest" transition was my daughter going into 1st as the K curriculum in her old school was not as advanced as the K curriculum in the new one, so she had a full 2 weeks before she was fluent in kriah. Which is a speck on the radar, and she didn't find it hard, I just felt bad that she looked like she didn't know things, when really she just needed an opportunity to learn them. She's in 6th now, made no negative impact at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children