Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood HS entrance exam

sweetnsalty

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:56 am
How do I find out when the general entrance exam for HS is in Lakewood this year
and is it true that you don't apply to h.s. all individually, it's rather one general exam that all h.s. accept and look at?

keym

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 10:21 am
The exam is usually on a Sunday in January time. The elementary schools hand out info shortly before.
Most of the high schools do participate in the one big test- and you pick up your applications there.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 10:21 am
The school she's in now will let them know. There's one entrance exam for all schools, but you still have to apply to the schools you want to apply to. I think most years they give out applications to all the schools at the entrance exam.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 11:02 am
As a HS teacher, I have to tell you PLEASE APPLY TO FOUR SCHOOLS AS REQUIRED BY THE VAAD!!!!!!!!
if you don't, they wont help you if you don't have protektzia in one of the schools!!!

sweetnsalty

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 1:26 pm
OP here
does this apply even if we don't live in Lakewood yet? daughter would still go to the ONE main exam?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:30 pm
sweetnsalty wrote:
OP here
does this apply even if we don't live in Lakewood yet? daughter would still go to the ONE main exam?

Yes. But do yourself a favor and consult the Vaad first, so you know what they do for those coming from OOT

sweetnsalty

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:01 am
How do I contact the vaad? I know nothing about the Lakewood vaad for schools....

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 2:25 pm
sweetnsalty wrote:
How do I contact the vaad? I know nothing about the Lakewood vaad for schools....

I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago. I called the vaad and I think they gave me the cell phone number of a very nice guy who deals with the high school stuff (I don't remember his name). I can't find the number I called among my papers but on the Lakewood Scoop I found this number for the vaad: 732-961-1161.

Make sure you find out when the date of the test is so you don't miss it. Two years ago the test was on January 7th so I it'll probably be around that time.

There's a $10 fee for the test and the girls wear their uniforms.

At the test, they'll give your daughter applications to several different schools and you have to apply to I think 4 or 5 of them. I don't remember exactly but it'll say it in the papers.

It's important to send out these applications right away because the deadline is like a week later. My year it was due back the following week Tuesday but the day before was MLK jr. day so I missed one mailing day. One of the schools sent back my application saying it arrived too late so they can't consider it.

After that, if I remember correctly, the schools called me to set up interviews, except 1 school I think emailed me.

Then, you wait to hear from the schools. I only heard from one, which accepted her. I didn't hear from the other schools at all.

If you don't hear from any schools, then you call the guy I mentioned before. I think they work to get each girl into a school before the school year. I know they did 2 years ago but I'm not sure about the current school year.

I hope this helps!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics