Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How much is your baby in a car seat?

lucky14

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:50 am
With my first he was held so much and out on a mat to wiggle around. Now with my second I find between driving my first to and from school, errands, and going on outings baby is in the car seat sooo much of the day. Then sleeping on her back for 8-10 hours straight at night. I'm so worried about flat head. Plus she has some reflux so when she isn't in the car seat she likes to be held so I'm worried about her not getting enough wiggle time on a playmate. Sigh.
How valid is my flat head fear? How many hours (honestly) do you think your baby is in their car seat each day?
I hate this.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:52 am
The flat head fear may be legitimate. Still, many babies spend hours upon hours on their backs with no adverse effects. I think some kids are just predisposed to the flat head based on their positioning.

When your baby is home, try to get in as much tummy time as possible. I know it's hard with a baby who has reflux, but that's one of the things that'll prevent a flat head. Also, the quicker she gets comfortable with tummy time, the quicker she'll be able to roll over and you won't have to worry as much about the flat head.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:48 pm
If your baby is in a car seat all day it’s not a danger of flat head as much as it’sa danger of breathing issues.
A baby should be taken out a car seat every 30-60 minutes.

You can google for more information but it’sa serious concern. The position they’re in in a car seat can cause them to suffocate themselves.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:50 pm
Ps I really don’t mean to freak anyone out it’s just a serious concern that many are unaware of.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:55 pm
It’s really not healthy for a babies development to be in car seats any more then they need to. The doona is really bad with the flat heads. Only use the car seat when you must for travel. It is also a safety issue as well in regards to breathing and the position. You should really make this a priority. Enjoy your new baby!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:00 pm
My baby got a very bad flat head from being in the car seat too much and sleeping on his back. I bought one of these pillows to fix flat heads and it BH worked. I put it under his head whenever I put him on his back whether in the doona, crib or floor. I also put him on his stomach a lot more often.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:06 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
My baby got a very bad flat head from being in the car seat too much and sleeping on his back. I bought one of these pillows to fix flat heads and it BH worked. I put it under his head whenever I put him on his back whether in the doona, crib or floor. I also put him on his stomach a lot more often.

Can you post a link to the pillow?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:26 pm
Why is the carseat position dangerous for breathing? I would think it's a safer position than flat. My oldest only slept in the car seat for the 1st 6 months, she wouldn't sleep anywhere else.

lucky14

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:03 pm
I thought the car seat breathing thing was only an issue if the seat is removed from the base (since it's not in the right position if not in the base)- is this wrong?

lucky14

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:04 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Are the pillows safe? If so shouldn't everyone be using a pillow to prevent flat head?

Btw how much was your baby in the car seat every day? Just curious.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:21 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Can you post a link to the pillow?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

amother
Red

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:40 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Are the pillows safe? If so shouldn't everyone be using a pillow to prevent flat head?

Btw how much was your baby in the car seat every day? Just curious.

I live in lkwd so were kind of in and out of the car a lot plus the babysitter kept him in the car seat/cradle plus he sleeps on his back

MommyM

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:40 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RW3XMSK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would be very wary of using this. It is a Chinese product so it doesn't have the standards that American baby products have that make them subject to recalls.
In addition to recommending that infants sleep on their backs, they shouldn't be using pillows either.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:56 pm
MommyM wrote:
I would be very wary of using this. It is a Chinese product so it doesn't have the standards that American baby products have that make them subject to recalls.
In addition to recommending that infants sleep on their backs, they shouldn't be using pillows either.

I used this under his head whenever I watched him. When I put it in his crib, I put it under his sheet
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics