Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Doc prescribed guanfacine for tic disorder

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:50 pm
Took dd to nuerologist today on advice of pediatrician as dd was having some muscle contractions in her arm that he could not explain. Before doctor walked in to meet dd, I stepped out with her and said I want her to watch dd's right arm to nocitce when it twitches in real time without bringing attention to it.. well we walk back in the room and doc says, "I hear your arm has been twitching"... whaaaat! Way to call attention to it and not just watch as you talk to her. She then does a few motor testt, like touching nose, walk in a straight line etc. and says dd has a motor tic and have her take 1mg of guanfacine a day- don't worry the only side effect is sleepiness so have her take it night.
Of course I go home and look up what this drug is and it says it is for ADHD or high blood pressure. dd does not have adhd. never ever was part of the discussion and does not have any of the criteria for ADHD. I emailed the doc saying what's up, please explain how this medicine works, cuz doctor google says something else....

In short, has anyone used this for motor tics?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:41 pm
Yup. Same story. Guanfacine is used for Impulsiveness (it can be taken in addition to ADHD meds, if needed).
My sons psychiatrist also recommended this for TICS.
Then she switched it to some zoloft, she claims he might have anxiety.
Trust the Doctor, they know. She's not their first patient.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:45 pm
I would personally go for a second opinion and try to find a neurologist who is a little more personable and forthcoming regarding recommendations.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:58 pm
Yes that is a common tic medication. sounds like the neurologist didn't have a great bedside manner at all, which is a shame. but an even bigger shame is that neurologists don't even make an attempt at figuring out *why* the tics are happening. All they do is medicate.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:14 pm
[quote="amother [ Linen ]"]Yes that is a common tic medication. sounds like the neurologist didn't have a great bedside manner at all, which is a shame. but an even bigger shame is that neurologists don't even make an attempt at figuring out *why* the tics are happening. All they do is medicate

Yes!!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:16 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Yup. Same story. Guanfacine is used for Impulsiveness (it can be taken in addition to ADHD meds, if needed).
My sons psychiatrist also recommended this for TICS.
Then she switched it to some zoloft, she claims he might have anxiety.
Trust the Doctor, they know. She's not their first patient.

Not be snarky. How is impulsive related to tics?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:18 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Yes that is a common tic medication. sounds like the neurologist didn't have a great bedside manner at all, which is a shame. but an even bigger shame is that neurologists don't even make an attempt at figuring out *why* the tics are happening. All they do is medicate

Yes!!!
Unfortunately, this is going to be your experience across the board with most if not all mainstream neurologists, give or take bedside manners. If you want to get to the bottom of it you will need to start doing some of your own digging and learning, become your child's fiercest advocate, and start viewing doctors as consultants rather than as all-knowing healers.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not be snarky. How is impulsive related to tics?
A tic is an impulse of sorts. Like an itch that needs to be scratched.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics