Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 3yo is "spacey"

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 4:33 pm
Today I went to a parenting shiur and the teacher talked about what might work for a "spaced out kid". I went home and thought about it, and I realized, omg, my 3yo is spacey.

I picked him up from nursery today and asked the teacher if she thought he was spacey. She said no, but she did mention that she was speaking to his preschool teacher the other day who checked on my son. The former teacher asked how he was doing, and she said he's doing great! Then the former teacher asked, "Really, cuz he was a little spaced out last year?"

SO.. that kind of confirms that he is a little spacey, doesn't it?

Is it something kids outgrow? Is there anything that I can do to help him?

I don't want him to have ADHD issues or be a weirdo.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 4:42 pm
You may want to check his hearing as well. DD was “spacey” in preschool. The doctor kept saying “maybe she has hearing loss?”. Long story short, she does... AND she also has ADHD 😂

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 5:26 pm
Yes check his hearing
& he might have slight autistic signs
My son had that-bleh Bh passed hearing test beautifuly had lots fouid in wars-autistic signs -& terrible selective mutism
Before switching him into special needs class
We tried sunrise method
BH !there was NO need to do that-other than repeating grades-hes Bh doing great!techer can’t believe it-a new person bh & even the leader!CHESED HASHEM YSOIVEVNEE

bnm

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 5:37 pm
check his ears, eyes and rule out epilepsy before you start thinking of anything else.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 5:58 pm
On a less frightening note, he may simply have a huge imagination and spends time in his thoughts dreaming creatively. It’s not a bad thing, although he may also need skill-brushing on focusing.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:25 pm
He’s 3. If he’s in a big school he may just be overwhelmed.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:33 pm
Spacey is not a diagnosis.

If a teacher had or has concerns, be sure to communicate and ask for clarification. Request several concrete examples - more than one vague comment - of the behavior. Ask the teacher to please be aware over the course of a week, so that she can point out those several examples and provide supporting detail so that you have an idea of where the issue is. Is it that your child can't follow verbal directions? Is it that she has trouble during transitions? Is it that she can't remember multiple commands and stalls when she finishes the first thing? Is it that she is unaware of others and isn't following along when everybody is lining up and she is still sitting on the floor? Is she beginning to play with others? Can she role play? Can she interact with toys in multiple ways or is she just always choosing the same kitchen bowl and mixing spoon and only pretending to make chocolate cake and that's it? Is she able to color, use stickers, express her opinion? How is her self-care - can she get her jacket, toileting??

You have to ask

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:11 am
I used to have petit mal seizures, but had no idea about it for the longest time. All through school my report cards said "Doesn't pay attention in class. Daydreams a lot." I was often startled when the teacher called on me, and someone had to poke me to get my attention. I didn't know what the teacher was talking about, or why she was mad at me. A seizure like that just feels like blinking, even though it can last for a very long time.

I didn't figure out something was very wrong, until I was in my late 20's. I went to get the mail, and then sat down to open it. I blinked, and it was dark outside! The mail was still in my hands, and I hadn't moved. I looked at the clock, and 4 hours had passed. Surprised

My doctor put me on Depakote (valproic acid) and I've been 99% better ever since.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics