Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Please help me tweak my Israel itinerary
Previous  1  2  3

persephonefalls

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:42 pm
harriet wrote:
Also, is the shuk (machane yehuda) open and "happening" motzai shabbat (and I can move it to there) or is really better during the week and/or erev shabbat?

The shuk on erev shabbat is BANANAS. It's packed and crazy and people are yelling and you can barely move through the crowds. It's absolutely beautiful and an experience to see everyone preparing for Shabbat, but it's hard to really experience the shuk that way.

I much prefer the shuk on a day or evening that's not erev shabbat--you can sample fruit, the restaurants are open, there's tons to see and explore. It's become a huge foodie spot, so it's definitely open on motzai shabbat, and you can definitely go then!

persephonefalls

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:44 pm
ora_43 wrote:
I think someone mentioned this already, but whatever you decide, remember to call the destinations ahead of time and make sure they are open + tickets are available on those days. Some attractions you basically just walk in, but others need to be booked in advance. Some close down on random days for private parties and other events. And a lot of museums close earlier/later some days than others (and a lot are closed Sunday, for whatever reason).

This! We were cautioned to call ahead, and not trust websites, but we trusted website anyway, and showed up only to find out that the website information was inaccurate and the place was closed. Always call ahead!

persephonefalls

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:45 pm
I'd also caution you that driving in Jerusalem is TERRIBLE. Having a car is great for going outside of Jerusalem, but driving and parking in Jerusalem itself is so stressful and terrible and time-consuming. Even though you have a car, consider walking or taking a cab or public transit if you're only traveling within the city.

heidi

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:00 am
harriet wrote:
Okay so... what about:
Monday: Kotel/tunnel tours/VR/Aquarium*
Tuesday: kever rochel and Me'arat hamachpela
Wednesday: Masada and the Dead Sea
Thursday: blind musueum, candy factory, shuk*, dinner out
Friday: one hour photo shoot, volunteering

with the realization that the two starred items (aquarium and shuk) may be moved to other days or disappear (ie move aquarium to Thursday and shuk to Friday or not at all, if necessary)...

Would that work? (to be clear, I have to be able to get the aquarium in on Monday or Thursday, but if the shuk doesn't happen, we'll live)

Thanks again!

OK, so here's my take
I have no idea why everyone thinks Mearat Hamachpela and Kever Rochel are a full day-- with kids, it's maybe half an hour at each place. I would totally do the aquarium in the morning and then them on Tuesday.
Blind museum has a children's museum alternative for kids too young to go the Blind museum. Book (tours in English) at the same time.
Blind museum is in Cholon- it's about an hour from Jerusalem. The tour takes about an hour if I recall correctly.
Ramat Gan is a zoo in terms of traffic. It's about 40 minutes from Cholon. Leaving there anytime after 2:30 it will take you almost an hour and a half to get to Jerusalem.
The shuk has become a super popular night life hangout. It's hard to even walk around there at night. It's tons of beer bazaars and teeny restaurants. Not somewhere a family (did you say 6 people?) could comfortably sit and eat. I would recommend popping over there if yoiu have extra time in a morning or afternoon.
You didn't ask, but Crave is a must eat at place if you have teenagers.
Also, not to confuse you, but the Bullet Factory (Machon Ayalon) in Rechovot, near Cholon is really really interesting and the whole family can do it. Might be worth switching that with the Blind Museum (call to make reservations for a tour in English)- also about an hour.
Enjoy!

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:28 am
persephonefalls wrote:
This! We were cautioned to call ahead, and not trust websites, but we trusted website anyway, and showed up only to find out that the website information was inaccurate and the place was closed. Always call ahead!

Yes, especially English websites. I found many times that the Hebrew websites are up-to-date, but nobody bothers to update the English version.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:13 am
I like doing things that are exclusive to Israel.
Maybe tell your son that you will do an aquarium in your hometown.
I wouldn't give up the shuk, or any of the Israel things.
Even walking in geula, hiking through magnificent trails are more memorable.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:59 am
From my experience last January When going in the winter its very important to schedule and prioritize stuff that can only be done during daytime and the ones that can happen when it's dark already.
I would do Kever Ruchel etc. when it's dark to save the daylight time for other activities.
You can either go there vasikin-it worked for us the second day since the kids were jet lagged and up anyway so we decided to just start our day-and nap once we get tired if necessary.
Or Maariv time.
Same with other activities.

ora_43

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:03 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:

But it's pretty awesome that OP is willing to do a fish-themed Israel trip for her kid's sake Very Happy .

And a kid who is that into aquariums might notice the difference between American-aquarium fish, and the Mediterranean/ Aqaba themed fish we have here.

harriet

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:07 am
Twinklejoy wrote:
Kever Rachel & Chevron is not a full day trip. We went on Friday with a Kosel tunnels tour prior. It all depends what time you start your day.

Wow. Was this an early shabbat (meaning, during the winter) or a summer shabbat? Would love to move kever rochel and mearat hamachpela to Friday after our photog session but I'm nervous about getting back on time (definitely would not spend more than 30 minutes at each place but travel time....)

harriet

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:12 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:

We've done the aquariums near our hometown.
He's looking forward to seeing fish native to the waters near Israel and as I said, fish are his passion. He also hates crowds so honestly, it sounds like going to the shuk will be hard for him. He perhaps shouldn't even go at all (to the shuk) so I definitely wouldn't trade out the aquarium for the shuk.
It's his trip and it's important to me that his interests be given primary consideration (obviously as long as they work for everyone else too...)

doctorima

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:12 am
If you want to squeeze everything in and are willing to do it at the expense of sleep, there is a Friday morning shuttle to Kever Rochel and Chevron that leaves Yerushalayim at something like 5 am and returns at about 9 am. We did it with older ones and left little ones back to get their rest (we were staying with relatives who could watch them until we returned). We were a little tired, but that way we didn't have to cut back on other activities, and still had Shabbos to rest up. If you're interested, hopefully someone local can get you the #. If you're really desperate, PM me and I can try to track it down.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:22 am
harriet wrote:
We've done the aquariums near our hometown.
He's looking forward to seeing fish native to the waters near Israel and as I said, fish are his passion. He also hates crowds so honestly, it sounds like going to the shuk will be hard for him. He perhaps shouldn't even go at all (to the shuk) so I definitely wouldn't trade out the aquarium for the shuk.
It's his trip and it's important to me that his interests be given primary consideration (obviously as long as they work for everyone else too...)

My kids hated the shuk when they were little. Crowds and other sensory stuff.
They still don't like it all that much actually and even I find it overwhelming when it is very crowded.
I don't enjoy eating there for this reason, despite the fact that there is some good food to be had there.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:31 am
persephonefalls wrote:
I'd also caution you that driving in Jerusalem is TERRIBLE. Having a car is great for going outside of Jerusalem, but driving and parking in Jerusalem itself is so stressful and terrible and time-consuming. Even though you have a car, consider walking or taking a cab or public transit if you're only traveling within the city.

Public transit is also pretty nightmarish.
I would walk as much as possible or take cabs, although you would need 2 cabs with a family your size.
If you do drive, then don't forget to use Waze to see which roads are congested and for alternate routes and try to figure out parking in advance.
Definitely choose your dining destinations with parking in mind.
Cinema City has parking and so does Mamilla. So does the Malcha Mall.
The First Station also has an outdoor parking area nearby.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:34 am
If you're looking for a fun and yummy workshop
Check out yaar hacacao. They're located in Yerushalayim. Not super expensive and fun. I took 4/5 of my kids there in the summer (7 and up) and everyone had a blast.
https://www.yaaracacao.co.il/
I also agree shuk on Friday can be crazy and the kids probably won't enjoy. if your kids are old enough I'd recommend leaving them at the apartment and going out as a couple Thursday night or Motsei Shabbat.
Where is you apartment located?

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:39 am
etky wrote:
Public transit is also pretty nightmarish.
I would walk as much as possible or take cabs, although you would need 2 cabs with a family your size.
If you do drive, then don't forget to use Waze to see which roads are congested and for alternate routes and try to figure out parking in advance.
Definitely choose your dining destinations with parking in mind.
Cinema City has parking and so does Mamilla. So does the Malcha Mall.
The First Station also has an outdoor parking area nearby.

Really depends where they're staying. If they're in town they can just walk most places.
Also it might be worthwhile to stay near the lite rail, which can be crowded during rush hour but you're not stuck in traffic.

Twinklejoy

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:09 pm
harriet wrote:
Wow. Was this an early shabbat (meaning, during the winter) or a summer shabbat? Would love to move kever rochel and mearat hamachpela to Friday after our photog session but I'm nervous about getting back on time (definitely would not spend more than 30 minutes at each place but travel time....)

It was in the spring. We went first to Mearat Hamachpeilah,since that's further & we had time to go afterwards to Kever Rochel. Was there max an half hour at each stop. The entire roundtrip was about four hours.

harriet

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:30 pm
persephonefalls wrote:

I’m confused by this. The vast majority of what we’re planning on doing requires booking online in advance (I think the only ones that don’t are kever Rochel, mearat hamachpeila, the shuk...). Should I be worried that even if I book online (for a specific time), when I get there it’ll be closed? Do I still need to call those places? Or can I assume once they’ve charged my cc (and I have an email confirmation for a specific time and date) that I’m good to go?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 3:33 am
harriet wrote:
I’m confused by this. The vast majority of what we’re planning on doing requires booking online in advance (I think the only ones that don’t are kever Rochel, mearat hamachpeila, the shuk...). Should I be worried that even if I book online (for a specific time), when I get there it’ll be closed? Do I still need to call those places? Or can I assume once they’ve charged my cc (and I have an email confirmation for a specific time and date) that I’m good to go?

It's not about you not having your slot. It's the details more.
Me and DH went on a trip recently to a mehadrin hotel we found up north in off season hoping to use the spa and it was closed cuz it was off season. They said they only open it for groups and when there's lots of people and we should of asked in advance.

Well it said on their website there was a spa....and it was separate....
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics