Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent without expensive meat
1  2  Next

jkl

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:24 am
How would you add flavor to a cholent without using expensive meat.

Last edited by jkl on Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:45 am; edited 2 times in total

LittleMissMama

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:25 am
Beef marrow bones

MiriFr

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:31 am
Sautee onions and use deli pastrami

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:33 am
For a while we used cheek meat. Now I use the cheapest stew meat. And you can go heavy on the beans and barley.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:33 am
Beef kolichel is the world’s best kept secret for cholent. Its about $10 for a very decent size piece. Do not cut it up, throw it in whole. It’s actually pretty ugly and has a big blue vein that goes across the top of it. It’s delicious in cholent. Stays super moist. Be careful when buying it, I’ve seen butchers put different cuts that have a similar look and label it kolichel.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:42 am
watergirl wrote:
Beef kolichel is the world’s best kept secret for cholent. Its about $10 for a very decent size piece. Do not cut it up, throw it in whole. It’s actually pretty ugly and has a big blue vein that goes across the top of it. It’s delicious in cholent. Stays super moist. Be careful when buying it, I’ve seen butchers put different cuts that have a similar look and label it kolichel.
This! Do you secretly watch me making my cholent? Smile

jkl

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:46 am
What about making a pareve cholent - how would you add flavor to it?

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:48 am
jkl wrote:

Saute onions with oil. Add beans, barley, diced potatoes. Fresh garlic, onion soup mix, ketchup, brown sugar, lots of paprika, salt, pepper and honey.

Rappel

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:50 am
jkl wrote:

Cumin, mushrooms, and eggplant all add a "meaty" depth to the flavour. You'll need some kind of fat (you can use whatever you sauté the mushrooms and onions in), and salt, to bring out the flavours.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:53 am
ShishKabob wrote:
This! Do you secretly watch me making my cholent? Smile

You got me!!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:47 am
jkl wrote:

What size crockpot are you using? I made a parve cholent for over a year and it was delicious. Maybe I can guide you.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:09 am
For a meaty flavor in meat or parve cholent, use the brown "Baby Bella" mushrooms, Porcini, or Shitake mushrooms. A combination would add extra depth of flavor and texture. Keep the mushrooms in fairly big pieces, about an inch or so.

You can sautee them with onions before you start the cholent if you want. If you're feeling lazy or rushed, you can just dump them in, it won't ruin anything.

For meat, I've always bought the very cheapest cut I can find. It works well for beef stew, too. Anything that can go in a crockpot overnight is going to come out nice and tender, so don't waste your money on fancy cuts.

ddmom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:10 am
Osem soup mix is amazing for pareve chulent!!

bsy

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:11 am
We use beef rib bones, about 7 dollars a pound. Its fatty and gives a great flavor.

jkl

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What size crockpot are you using? I made a parve cholent for over a year and it was delicious. Maybe I can guide you.

Thanks - 7 qt

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:29 pm
watergirl wrote:

Hey how did you know? Have you been in my kitchen?

I also find that my butcher tends to have specials on kolichel every couple of weeks, so I stock up then and freeze it. It usually runs about $5-6 per pound, which is pretty reasonable.

Tzivia18

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:11 pm
Use chicken fat, chicken bones and gravy. You have to start in the morning to let the magic happen. Let the chicken fat simmer for a long time with onions. Like a few hours. Then add your bones and let that sit for a long time. Then, like 1-2 hours before shabbos, add gravy, potatoes, barley, soaked beans and spices. It's delicious.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:34 pm
LittleMissMama wrote:
Beef marrow bones

Those are just as expensive as meat these days!

Cheiny

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:35 pm
[quote="MiriFr"]Sautee onions and use deli pastrami[/

Pastrami isn’t cheaper than cholent meat.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:36 pm
bsy wrote:
We use beef rib bones, about 7 dollars a pound. Its fatty and gives a great flavor.

Huh? Moishas in Brooklyn has diffrent cuts of meat for $6 a lb.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus