Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
OTD questions, what was the driving force, turning point
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

what was his/her driving force
mental illness in family  
 10%  [ 6 ]
parents to strict with halachot etc  
 19%  [ 11 ]
insecurities  
 5%  [ 3 ]
[filth]  
 3%  [ 2 ]
OTD or non jewish friends  
 5%  [ 3 ]
s-xual abuse  
 10%  [ 6 ]
emotion abuse by a parent  
 28%  [ 16 ]
not successful in school  
 17%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 57

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:56 pm
amother seagreen, you growing up ffb but not seeing the truth only today in different form you see truth, that must be that you grew up in a hypocritical home then, not in the untruth.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:01 pm
To the poster who says someone growing up in a traumatic situation turned her sib OTD,
I find the fact that while growing up with challenges, we were instilled with more emunah & bitachon because of our situation, even more so than my peers who grew up with everything fine & dandy, just doing the religious thing out of rote. That actually gave me the strength to forge on, when I encountered my own challenges later in life.
I think if strong values of emunah/bitachon is not instilled when young then it's much harder to face difficulties later on.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:03 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
To the poster who says someone growing up in a traumatic situation turned her sib OTD,
I find the fact that while growing up with challenges, we were instilled with more emunah & bitachon because of our situation, even more so than my peers who grew up with everything fine & dandy, just doing the religious thing out of rote. That actually gave me the strength to forge on, when I encountered my own challenges later in life.
I think if strong values of emunah/bitachon is not instilled when young then it's much harder to face difficulties later on.

this 1000%

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:40 pm
Ds's father has gone otd....

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:44 pm
My sibling is a little socially off, maybe even on the spectrum. He's extremely bright and realized that he was different and always felt like he didn't fit in. He didn't get the social cues that everyone around him got.
He went through depression and now says that he believes in G-d but it's better for his mental health not to keep mitzvos.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:48 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
My son was in Sinai, this month. He brought home a rock from Mt Sinai, when cut up there is an image of sneh, any way you keep cutting it, you will see it reappearing.
There is said to be a place in Saudia Arabia today, that matches all the details that say in Torah about midbar, Matan Torah etc.

Source? He has been doing extensive research and there doesn’t seem to be any historical or archeological evidence of a mass exodus from Egypt or remains from the 40 years in the desert.

Also do we have a direct historical records chain all the way back to Moshe, besides what the Torah tells us?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 5:37 pm
Because a lot of rabbis and teachers don't have the answers but pretend they know it all.
Also putting others down (other religions, less observant jews) makes some people turn away in disgust. Orthodox judaism can be very superficial and fake.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:17 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Plenty of other people have unfortunate life sentences. Take my sister with a terrible mental illness for example. She is plenty ostrasized because of that, even during her sane periods. Not sure why many think that those with same-s£x attractions have it the worst.

Who said that people with attactions have it the worst? Plenty of people go OTD with those other issues as well. But multiple things being bad doesn't make a single one of them any better.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:15 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Haven't read the whole thread - has anyone suggested adding "being bullied" to the poll?

op here, I dont know how to add to the poll, but tx for letting us know

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:19 am
op here, wow, tx all for your replies, really interesting to hear, it gives me allot to think about.

from all this, and having asked this on a different group, its often up to the parents to help the child along the way, its been often cause of parents that kids turn that way, again not always, but very often. emotional abuse by a parent, and parents being too strict with mitzvos, forcing kids to do it etc.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:50 am
My friend left the derech when her husband took away her children, and frankly I understand her.

But for the record:

Many ON THE DERECH people struggle and struggle with painful and bitter lives and yet stay frum.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:58 am
For me it was many reasons. I was never a good student, I was always the one being kicked out of class, failed all my tests throughout high school etc. Add on top of that a dysfunctional home where my parents just left me to do whatever I wanted. I was depressed and suffered with anxiety, and I was cutting. I didn’t see how there cld be a god and cause me all my pain. After I stopped believing that’s when I made my “friends”.
Today I’m frum but def struggle with lots of things.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children