Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Eating alone at a restaurant/pizza store
Previous  1  2  3

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:54 am
Blessing1 wrote:
The only place I think it may be strange to eat alone is at a fancy fine dining resteraunt.

Why? Why shouldn’t a person be able to treat herself to an elegant meal just because she doesn’t have anyone she wants to join her? Maybe she davka wants to eat alone and enjoy the pampering without having to make small talk and calculate splitting the bill. Maybe she works with cranky people all day and revels in the soothing environment of fine dining at a table for one. Why should she have to settle for a pizza joint or takeout at her kitchen table?

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:20 am
L25 wrote:
my dh will go alone to a restaurant near our house. I sometimes wonder if people wonder why my dh is eating out by himself when everyone knows I'm a SAHM and its right by my house but: its a specific type of food that I'm not always in the mood for but he loves, he will often decide to go spur of the moment, and he likes to just go eat and get on with his day.

I can't imagine anyone speculating about this, and your DH certainly doesn't owe anyone an explanation for why he is eating in a restaurant.

Zehava

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:23 am
All the time, if I’m out on the street and get hungry. I don’t see anyone else doing it but that’s fine by me.

mommyla

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:40 am
When I was single, I took myself out for lunch in Boro Park on a visit from OOT. My BP-native friend was horrified that I would do something so weird, and I was stared at the entire time. Oh well, didn't hurt my confidence (or my shidduch prospects LOL despite the protests of the aforementioned friend, who insisted that it would look bad, but I managed to get married before she did LOL).

I still do it once in a while, but I usually have a kid with me.

vicki

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:46 am
With no insult intended, thinking that it is odd to see someone alone ANYWHERE is immature.
There are people in all phases of life.
Anyone in a single/divorced/widowed state needs to find a friend before they can try the newest restaurant or ice cream shop?
Ridiculous!
And while you're at it, check out that new double feature in the cinema. By yourself!

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:04 pm
vicki wrote:
With no insult intended, thinking that it is odd to see someone alone ANYWHERE is immature.
There are people in all phases of life.
Anyone in a single/divorced/widowed state needs to find a friend before they can try the newest restaurant or ice cream shop?

Ridiculous!
And while you're at it, check out that new double feature in the cinema. By yourself!

I don't even see why this is even a factor.

Married people can also eat ice cream without a chaperone. No justification needed!

Anyone who spends so much time speculating about such issues every time they see someone eating ice cream, having a slice of pizza, or using a public restroom is a total nosy-body whose opinion should not carry much weight.

nchr

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:21 pm
Not to mention that most people do not even notice who is eating and what is going on at others tables in the restaurant. People are usually preoccupied with their own company and food.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:53 pm
vicki wrote:

They still show double features?
Couple years ago I finally went to a movie by myself as dh had to work and a film I really wanted to see was in its final run. I missed dh but had a wonderful time.

Plonis

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:07 pm
dankbar wrote:
I once saw a guy order an entire pie of pizza to his table, was sure he is expecting company. Lo & behold, he had the entire thing for himself!

I could probably eat close to a pie myself too, but would be too embarrassed to do it in front of anyone else. I envy his self-confidence!

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:18 pm
Plonis wrote:
I could probably eat close to a pie myself too, but would be too embarrassed to do it in front of anyone else. I envy his self-confidence!

I don't think it's self confidence. I think it's also more of a man thing to do. You ever saw a woman eating an entire pie? Thank Hashem for the middah of embarrassment, it's a jewish trait.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:27 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
The only place I think it may be strange to eat alone is at a fancy fine dining resteraunt.

Agreed.

At a fast food place, it's not weird at all to grab a bite to eat alone. Why go hungry when there's yummy food to be had? I would totally do it. I mean, why not? It's casual dining. Lots of people enjoy their own company when eating casually.

At a more upscale formal place, where people often make reservations.... dimmed lights... that type of scene... yes, it would perhaps appear a bit strange to eat alone, since the setting is so formal.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:47 pm
gold21 wrote:

At a more upscale formal place, where people often make reservations.... dimmed lights... that type of scene... yes, it would perhaps appear a bit strange to eat alone, since the setting is so formal.

I repeat, why is this weird.? Uncommon, yes, but hardly weird. Just because a person has no desire or opportunity for dining company is no reason why s/he should have to forgo a fine dining experience. Some people enjoy treating themselves well. Where one person may choose to treat herself to a day at a spa—would you say doing that alone is weird?—someone else may luxuriate in being served superb food in a relaxed, elegant setting at leisure to listen to her own thoughts without the stress of making nice to anyone but herself. Just because this scenario of solitary splendor doesn’t appeal to you doesn’t make it weird.

hotzenplotz

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:07 pm
mommyla wrote:
When I was single, I took myself out for lunch in Boro Park on a visit from OOT. My BP-native friend was horrified that I would do something so weird, and I was stared at the entire time. Oh well, didn't hurt my confidence (or my shidduch prospects LOL despite the protests of the aforementioned friend, who insisted that it would look bad, but I managed to get married before she did LOL).

I still do it once in a while, but I usually have a kid with me.

I am a Boro Park native and I take myself to breakfast or brunch to spoons.
No one bats an eyelash.

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:27 pm
Ok, I guess I'm gonna be the only one on this thread to say that I would feel super weird eating alone. I wouldn't mind eating a danish and coffee alone while working or studying, but I'd feel stupid eating a slice of pizza alone in a restaurant.
All the boys I know do it all the time, though.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:04 pm
I would totally not think anyone is strange.
But wouldn’t do it myself.

nchr

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:08 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I don't think it's self confidence. I think it's also more of a man thing to do. You ever saw a woman eating an entire pie? Thank Hashem for the middah of embarrassment, it's a jewish trait.

Huh? Yes, women can eat an entire pie of pizza. There is a lot of judgment in this post.

giselle

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:39 pm
nchr wrote:
Huh? Yes, women can eat an entire pie of pizza. There is a lot of judgment in this post.

I’ve always wanted to try it!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics