Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Yichud room gift- average cost?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:06 pm
watergirl wrote:
I've been at the mikvah more than once and heard a woman talking to the front desk attendant a bit too loudly, asking what the kollel discount is or telling the woman that she needs a reduced fee. And then the woman sits in the waiting room and is wearing her kallah jewelry (the waiting room and mikvah where I live is relaxed, people chit chat and are comfortable with each other). This post and the post about the women who was gifted a wallet full of money for mikvah is a reminder to me at least, that more important than those bracelets and heart necklaces is the money so many women NEED at this stage of their lives. Now, I realize that of course in many cultures, the idea of the MIL paying for her daughter's mikvah is icky. Just something I'm stewing over from these posts. Where are we spending our money, and where SHOULD we be spending it?

Just as a random comment,
I am MO/Askenaz/in-town
While I think my MIL giving me cash would be weird, I think her gifting me lifetime Mikva membership (which includes/covers user fees) would have been beyond lovely and thoughtful. Of course if one moves, that becomes an issue.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:55 pm
DD's MIL has one DIL who never wears her pearls, so she asked if DD wants pearls, ended up giving a necklace.

Yet my youngest DDIL did want pearls, and she's quite high style. DS went to choose & evidently the larger pearls were in style so that's what she got.

I was buying $600-800 pearl necklaces (with a connection, wholesale of course) for the DDILS, when the friend in the business told me that you can get nice ones for about $200, which I mentioned to DH, hint, hint (never got pearls).

So for 30th anniv he gives me pearls (which are not strung yet so I can choose the clasp). Well, I went back to her & she said, these are really nice, and I said, I hope he got the cheap ones. Well, no, he got the $800 ones. I asked her if I can trade & use the change to buy him s/t, but he hadn't paid yet... I don't even remember now if I got the $200 or the $800 ones... and I doubt most of us could tell the difference. I'm pretty sure it was $200 because I wouldnt want to worry about them getting lost or stolen.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics