Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Sheital pulls out my hair!

chipmunks

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:03 pm
Hey ladies,

I'm used to wearing tichels but sometimes over chagim or for simchas or whatever, especially if we're in chutz la'aretz, I wear a sheital pretty regularly. This year in particular I noticed that the combs are pulling my hair out in the front. (This year I wore it more often than other years). How do I avoid this?! I sure hope most of you daily sheital-wearers aren't going around balding....

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:15 pm
Wear a velvet wig grip band over your hair then put on your wig. Don't use the combs and clips - the velvet will grip your wig and hold it securely instead.

Surrendered

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:45 pm
I use wig-caps (.99 for 2 pieces, extra thin stocking material, very comfortable), I clip the sheitel into the wig cap so it keeps my hair neat and in control as well as have the clips in to hold sheitel. So convenient.

gamanit

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:46 pm
I use a sew in wig grip. It's amazing. You can probably technically sew in any strip of velour (make sure to sew it in in the right direction)

chipmunks

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Wear a velvet wig grip band over your hair then put on your wig. Don't use the combs and clips - the velvet will grip your wig and hold it securely instead.

Is there a brand you can recommend? I use one for tichels but occasionally have to adjust it. That's not a big deal with a scarf but I wouldn't like having to do it even once in public with a sheital. I hope this isn't a dumb question, but are we talking about the same thing? They don't make something different for tichels vs. wigs, right?

chipmunks

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:51 pm
Surrendered wrote:
I use wig-caps (.99 for 2 pieces, extra thin stocking material, very comfortable), I clip the sheitel into the wig cap so it keeps my hair neat and in control as well as have the clips in to hold sheitel. So convenient.

I've been covering my hair for over a decade b'H and feel like such a newbie all of a sudden. Can't Believe It How do you go about clipping the sheital into the wig cap? I'm afraid to tear the cap.

chipmunks

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:54 pm
gamanit wrote:
I use a sew in wig grip. It's amazing. You can probably technically sew in any strip of velour (make sure to sew it in in the right direction)

Does this change the look/shape of the sheital in the front? Which is the right direction? And LOL ! If you knew me IRL you would rephrase. That's "make sure the person you pay/bribe/beg to do it for you sews it in the right direction." Not my forte. It's okay, I have other talents. Wink

gamanit

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:02 pm
chipmunks wrote:
Does this change the look/shape of the sheital in the front? Which is the right direction? And LOL ! If you knew me IRL you would rephrase. That's "make sure the person you pay/bribe/beg to do it for you sews it in the right direction." Not my forte. It's okay, I have other talents. Wink

Not at all. It's a thin strip of velour sewn to the inside. You place it inside before sewing and run your finger against it. You want to make sure that you have some friction in the direction that would keep it on your head. You can pin it (with the sharp end sticking out of the top of the wig) to test if the wig stays in place before sewing.

chipmunks

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:57 pm
gamanit wrote:
Not at all. It's a thin strip of velour sewn to the inside. You place it inside before sewing and run your finger against it. You want to make sure that you have some friction in the direction that would keep it on your head. You can pin it (with the sharp end sticking out of the top of the wig) to test if the wig stays in place before sewing.

Great, thank you!

Cheiny

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 4:40 pm
chipmunks wrote:
Hey ladies,

I'm used to wearing tichels but sometimes over chagim or for simchas or whatever, especially if we're in chutz la'aretz, I wear a sheital pretty regularly. This year in particular I noticed that the combs are pulling my hair out in the front. (This year I wore it more often than other years). How do I avoid this?! I sure hope most of you daily sheital-wearers aren't going around balding....

I had that too. There’s an easy solution. Don’t use the regular combs, use the clip ones, or don’t use any, just wear a net or wig headband that holds the wig down.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels