Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
The fashion industry is bad for the world.
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:55 am
penguin wrote:
You could also say that it's the advertising industry that is persuading people to purchase items that they don't need, or shall we say creating the need. Without advertising how would you even know that your wardrobe is out of style and needs to be updated?

Similarly, you can blame the high cost of health care on the AMA or on the attorneys who drive up malpractice fees.

Perhaps the bottom line is that few people are going into altruistic professions. Most are driven by the need to make money so that they can buy more things that they don't need.

I know because I have eyes in my head and see no one’s wearing the type of clothes I’m wearing any more.

penguin

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:55 pm
Penguin wrote:
Quote:
Without advertising how would you even know that your wardrobe is out of style and needs to be updated?
amother Teal:
Quote:
I know because I have eyes in my head and see no one’s wearing the type of clothes I’m wearing any more.
True, but without advertising I doubt people would care as much.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:13 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

Except me

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:19 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Thanks, Six.
I wear a lot of resale,and wash cold, besides towels, and air dry anything that will go on a hanger anyway, so I'm on the right track.
BTW, Eileen Fisher's expensive. I have a Shabbos skirt I got at a resale (not thrift) shop at it was $20.

I can often find Eileen Fisher on Thred Up or ebay at very reasonable prices.

Wearing a dress from Thred Up today, in fact (not Eileen Fisher, though, alas).

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:23 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

What are you wearing? Maybe we can suggest easy updates.

But I hear you. I purchased a classic raincoat, below knee length, just before everyone started wearing mid-thigh coats. Its probably more than a decade now, but the coat is still in pristine condition, and I can't bring myself to purchase a new one. Someday, I'll be in style again.

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
People are not only not fighting back, they are following fashion more than ever.

This is such an irritating thread
You are conflating fashion with consumerism

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:39 pm
Nope. Consumerism and fashion are related, but I'm referring mostly to people following fashion trends exclusively.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:39 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
What are you wearing? Maybe we can suggest easy updates.

But I hear you. I purchased a classic raincoat, below knee length, just before everyone started wearing mid-thigh coats. Its probably more than a decade now, but the coat is still in pristine condition, and I can't bring myself to purchase a new one. Someday, I'll be in style again.

But, SixWands as you and I know, a below-knee length raincoat makes so much more sense, especially on Shabbos.

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Nope. Consumerism and fashion are related, but I'm referring mostly to people following fashion trends exclusively.

If you don't know the difference then you don't know anything about either one.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 4:16 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
What are some good websites or brick and mortar stores to shop good quality secondhand?

Check your Yellow Pages under Resale. You'll find everything from Purple Heart thrift shop to reasonable for profit to tonier for profit.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 4:18 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I can often find Eileen Fisher on Thred Up or ebay at very reasonable prices.

Wearing a dress from Thred Up today, in fact (not Eileen Fisher, though, alas).

Cool. I've never heard of Thred Up.
I'm not that into Eileen Fisher but if I find it at a good price and like it, I'll grab it, especially skirts by anyone.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 4:23 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
If you don't know the difference then you don't know anything about either one.

That's a very mean thing to say. Also, nobody conflated the two to begin with.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 4:27 pm
Librarian wrote:
Not that it should matter to anyone, but even "classic" styles become outdated. There is always a new tweak to the classic styles and you can definitely tell if something is "old". I can often update with some strategic alterations but this does require an investment of some $ unless you are lucky enough to be able to do it yourself. My mother wears very very expensive designer couture and sometimes passes it down to me. For me, it is worth putting the $ into altering the 10-20 year old clothes because once I am done they look new and current. I am not ashamed to admit that I care.

Well if I saw you in a 10 year old dress I wouldn't know it's old. If it's pretty it's pretty. That's my opinion.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 5:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Consumerism means to promote the interests of the consumer, such as truth in advertising laws. It can also be defined as promoting a culture of spending which helps the economy but promotes buying beyond our basic needs.
Conspicuous consumption is when we buy for the purpose of showing off the purchase and fashion can be tied to that because people see if we are in style.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics