Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Residential treatment center for ED-oklahoma

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 4:37 pm
My friends daughter has an eating disorder and after unsuccessful fbt therapy/ maudsley at home Relief recommended a residential place in Oklahoma.
questions? Does anybody body know anybody who went there? Can anybody recommend a good inpatient facility? Are these facilities successful in long term recovery or just temporarily? Has Relief been helpful to anybody with an eating disorder-as in have they been able to help with real recovery not just suggestions of therapists and facilities.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 5:38 pm
I spent about 6 months in an inpatient hospital recommended by Relief. Prior to that I was in treatment for a year and a half, both outpatient and day patient, also recommended by Relief. For me, being admitted was a turning point. Being away from my family, friends, and school shocked me and so I decided to just listen to the doctors. I had no intention of listening to them once I left but eating normally and getting the therapy I needed ended up having a positive effect. By the time I was ready to leave I had zero interest in ever going back to where I was. This was when I was in 11th grade. I am now married BH and completely healthy. Unfortunately, not everyone has the reaction I had. Many people spend years in and out of programs but being hospitalized worked for me. It shocked me and made me realize that not eating was a serious thing and not just a game, that the ramifications were real.

lauful

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:45 pm
I can't recommend this program enough. They are one of the top eating disorder centers in the world. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:53 pm
No idea about that specific program but I went in-patient (not to a hospital but a residential facility) and it's been like 9 years now and I'm no longer in therapy or seeing a nutritionist because I no longer find it necessary. So going was positive for me. Part of me wishes so bad that I could go back to how I used to be but part of me knows that it just isn't worth it... And that's huge. I have these kids and this life I like too much.

But yeah no guarantee that anything will "work". Recovery happens for some but doesn't for others. There are many different facilities out there and honestly I think the best match has to be made. I hated the first place I went to and it did nothing for me. I needed something differebt and found that in the second place I went to.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:34 pm
I went to a residential program for 3 months after battling anorexia for basically all my teen years until 20 years old. I was in extremely terrible, dangerous shape by that point. Residential was the help I needed. It's not easy, and you have to really want to get better and work hard. I've been in recovery for more than 12 years and eating disorder stuff is not part of my life at all anymore, barring extreme exceptions (twins in NICU and life falling apart after traumatic pregnancy/birth was the closest I came to relapse in 12 years, and I knew to get help and I pulled through).

Residential is an incredible opportunity at the right place, and for a patient who wants to be there and who works hard, because it can be brutally hard in the beginning, but it 100% can get better. Many others I was in treatment with also recovered and are living healthy lives today.

I'm out of the loop about which places are good nowadays, but definitely do your homework to find somewhere good. It makes a difference where you go, so you want to choose well (I know you know this already).

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:37 pm
If you're referring to Laureate, they have a very good reputation, at least they did in 2007 when I went to treatment (I didn't go there, though). I would check reviews online and search around the internet to see what their current reputation is, and talk to doctors/therapists who specialize in EDs to ask their opinions on where is best.

lauful

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:38 pm
I have personal experience with Laureate. They are still probably the best treatment center in the country.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics