Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Post grad ideas

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:20 pm
My daughter is in 12th grade and I'm looking for ideas for her for next year. She is very bright and capable of doing anything, but isn't pulled in any specific direction. I'd love to see her get a degree/certification for something that is practical for a frum woman who wants to be able to work part-time while balancing family life. For example, she has a classmate who is thinking of training to be a sonographer. Any good ideas? What good programs are available within heimishe settings? TIA

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:02 pm
OT, speech therapy, computer programming, graphic design.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 11:04 pm
COPE- junior accounting course
https://agudathisrael.org/cope-and-pcs/

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:02 am
See if she can trail women at work. Lots of people are flattered if you ask them about their jobs.
Seeing what someone does all day might help her figure out what she would love (or hate) doing. A relative of ours chose a career this way.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:13 am
Before choosing something for her, try to flesh out what she would be most interested in even if it's difficult. I wanted a specific career and knew my parents wouldn't be thrilled with it so said nothing. Instead they decided for me and they signed me up for special ed that I started but didn't finish (with my own money, mind you) and then 10 years later and after having a few kids I went back to school for the career I originally wanted. But it's a shame on money that could've not been spent and time that could've been used more wisely. (thank goodness I didn't waste too much time on special ed but...)

STMommy

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:33 am
please help set her up with some career interest inventories and job shadowing. she needs a better idea of what she wants to do so she's not one of those imas who comes on here chas veshalom saying how much she hates her job.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:23 am
My parents were also all for me getting a degree, but I wasn't pulled in any direction.
Ended up going for bachelor's of liberal arts, but dropped out when I got married, before it was completed.
I now work as a bookkeeper/payroll person in an office.
I don't want to go back to college, the homework was just too annoying while running a household especially if I'm not pulled in any direction.
I actually did think a bit about becoming a sonographer but people told me the rays may be harmful for someone who wants to have kids.
Would love to hear from other sonographers though, how the schooling was, difficulty in finding a job, and what they do to prevent rays from reaching them. I know people think it's an easy job, but I know there can be long hard stressful shifts. Also according to my research schooling is intense, lots of math and physics and other sciences.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 12:50 pm
I am in school for Ultrasound now. The rays are fine for you and for kids. I had a healthy baby while in school. The hours and work can be a little hard especially with starting family but if you have help(meaning husband and parents/in laws can lend a hand it's much easier) I can't talk abt jobs yet since I am Not done yet, but almost. As per the school it's hard work and the program I am in is very intense.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:51 pm
STMommy wrote:
please help set her up with some career interest inventories and job shadowing. she needs a better idea of what she wants to do so she's not one of those imas who comes on here chas veshalom saying how much she hates her job.

What do you mean "career interest inventories"? I would love her to have an idea of what options are available to her. She's aware of the typical: OT, PT, speech, graphics, accounting, computers... She's not interested in any of it. But she is so bright, she could do anything. I don't have anyone for her to shadow...

Ella1

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 5:04 pm
bump

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 5:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter is in 12th grade and I'm looking for ideas for her for next year. She is very bright and capable of doing anything, but isn't pulled in any specific direction. I'd love to see her get a degree/certification for something that is practical for a frum woman who wants to be able to work part-time while balancing family life. For example, she has a classmate who is thinking of training to be a sonographer. Any good ideas? What good programs are available within heimishe settings? TIA

Is this something SHE wants, as well? Because you sound like my mother, whom I gave into, and totally regret it.
I was dying to become an OBGYN. It was my dream since I was a kid. But my mother "wanted to see me get a degree for something that is practical", so I got a masters in speech instead. I regret doing that. Worst decision of my life. I'm burnt out, and I'm only 24!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 5:17 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Is this something SHE wants, as well? Because you sound like my mother, whom I gave into, and totally regret it.
I was dying to become an OBGYN. It was my dream since I was a kid. But my mother "wanted to see me get a degree for something that is practical", so I got a masters in speech instead. I regret doing that. Worst decision of my life. I'm burnt out, and I'm only 24!

Yes, of course, that's why I'm trying to search for ideas of what's available out there...so she can find something she likes!

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 7:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, of course, that's why I'm trying to search for ideas of what's available out there...so she can find something she likes!

Ok awesome! As long as she's on board.
I would recommend the TTI speech program. There are classes in BY 18th avenue every sunday. The rest (submitting assignments, homework, quizzes/ tests...) is online. And then you do your externships wherever you're placed starting 2nd semester. The whole program is a little under 2 years. The teachers are excellent. And it's so much fun to be with a whole group of frum girls!

She first has to get an undergrad degree, so start with that.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 8:53 pm
I'm 25, with a Masters and still don't know what I want to do with my life.
I have ordered but not yet read books by Barbara Sher. Supposed to be amazing

snoopy613

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 9:53 pm
would you mind sharing what that book is about?
thanks

forgetit

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:12 pm
How about something in IT (or related) or STEM? These options can be lucrative and flexible, eventually, given the right job.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 1:16 am
forgetit wrote:
How about something in IT (or related) or STEM? These options can be lucrative and flexible, eventually, given the right job.

Like what, specifically??

forgetit

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 1:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Like what, specifically??

The simple answer and VERY frum friendly are things like computer programmer, web developer, software/app development, cyber security, etc. I say very frum friendly because with these things you can either be your own boss/freelancer, or find a position in a frum company.
If your daughter is a go-getter or wants something more than vanilla in this area, she may be interested in more complex STEM opportunities. There sky is the limit here, for the right individual. But I'm not knowledgeable enough to share more and I don't want to mistakenly give wrong info. Maybe some other posters can weigh in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children