Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bug Clinging to Back
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:04 am
My daughter had a medium sized bug that looked like a blue spotted ladybug clinging to her back for a few days. She has many moles on her back, so she didn’t notice the bug right away, but she now remembers feeling something weird on her back for a few days. I pulled the bug out, killed it and threw it away.

She has been nauseous and trembling with aching limbs since. It’s been 2 days.

I don’t know if it’s a seasonal flu or virus, or if it’s related to the bug.

Where do I turn to find out? Do we go to the emergency room? To the urgent care for a blood test? The pediatric medical clinic she’s been going to since she was a child?

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:09 am
Tick? Lyme disease?

Einikel

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter had a medium sized bug that looked like a blue spotted ladybug clinging to her back for a few days. She has many moles on her back, so she didn’t notice the bug right away, but she now remembers feeling something weird on her back for a few days. I pulled the bug out, killed it and threw it away.

She has been nauseous and trembling with aching limbs since. It’s been 2 days.

I don’t know if it’s a seasonal flu or virus, or if it’s related to the bug.

Where do I turn to find out? Do we go to the emergency room? To the urgent care for a blood test? The pediatric medical clinic she’s been going to since she was a child?

In the future it is always good to save these things even after they’re dead to show to a professional.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:16 am
dankbar wrote:
Tick? Lyme disease?

Definitely not a tick. It was a big bug.

And yes, I’m aware that the bug should have been kept. Sad

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:29 am
Are you in the US or in Israel? In Israel, I'd say take her to the pediatric clinic this morning and make sure a doctor examines her and gets told about the bug. I don't know the US health system so I can't recommend for over there.
Edit: but in any event make sure she gets examined by a doctor urgently. Clinging bugs can transmit all kinds of diseases.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:36 am
In the US.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:39 am
Ticks do get very large after being stuck for a long time. I had one on my back too. My mother flushed it. No lasting results B"H, but very scary!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:52 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Ticks do get very large after being stuck for a long time. I had one on my back too. My mother flushed it. No lasting results B"H, but very scary!

Oh goodness, wow. Did you get tested for Lyme disease, or take antibiotics just in case?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh goodness, wow. Did you get tested for Lyme disease, or take antibiotics just in case?

I didn't, this was many years ago and I guess it didn't occur to my mother.

BTW, if Lyme is suspected, PLEASE take antibiotics for AT LEAST 8 weeks. It can prevent a lot of lasting effects! (DS had lyme and although we tried, they only agreed to prescribe for 4 weeks, which can be too short based on the life cycle of the lyme. Still hoping there will be no long term effects.)

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 2:17 am
Seconding that ticks can get quite large (engorged with blood) after a few days.

Definitely go into your pediatrician tomorrow. They’ll probably do bloodwork and hopefully put her on antibiotics before the bloodwork even comes back. If it’s lyme (which it sounds like), the sooner you treat it the better. Most of the horror stories you hear (about lyme) are when it wasn’t diagnosed and dealt with for a while. You are still early enough that iyH she’ll be fine and it won’t be a big deal at all but definitely take care of it ASAP.

Refuah shelaimah to your daughter!

Odelyah

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 2:44 am
Please call your doctor's answering service and speak to whoever is on call asap! Do not wait until the morning.
and may your daughter have a refuah shelaima! Hug

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 3:56 am
I just googled and there is a type of blue tick

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:31 am
My kids have had very large ticks and my son that once had a large tick that I found in his head while giving him a haircut got Lyme Disease. Your daughters symptoms also are some symptoms of Lyme. Please get it checked out ASAP.

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:47 am
Usually you need to wait a few weeks to accurately test for lyme (since that is how long it takes to develop the anti bodies).

Her symptoms, regardless of whatever bug that was, probably warrant a trip to the doctor anyways.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:08 am
My sister was bitten in camp by a big bug! Not a tick. And she felt flu like etc after afew days. No one thought of Lyme
Although she got worse, It took afew months to remember the bite. By then it got complicated, she tested positive eventually for a rare Lyme strain that’s new in America and many doctors don’t even know about it (that doesn’t show up in blood tests and needs special test). plus another bad strain, bh she’s on antibiotics but it’s a slow recovery especially since it took a long time to diagnose.
Please have a lyme test done. By a lyme literate dr.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 2:41 pm
Thank you all so much for the push to get her checked out - BH the doctor put her on antibiotics right away. We tested for Lyme disease a few days ago and the results came back showing that she did indeed get Lyme disease from the tick, and the antibiotics got rid of it. BH!!

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 2:46 pm
Wow!!!
When I googled a few weeks ago it showed that there are ticks in strange colors... the way you described that it stuck to her I was sure it was a tick!

Odelyah

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all so much for the push to get her checked out - BH the doctor put her on antibiotics right away. We tested for Lyme disease a few days ago and the results came back showing that she did indeed get Lyme disease from the tick, and the antibiotics got rid of it. BH!!

Oh wow! BH!! thank you for letting us know!! Heart

Metukah

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 2:52 pm
BH

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 2:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Wow! Baruch HaShem you caught it early. Thanks for sharing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics