Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Talking with your hands
Previous  1  2

dankbar

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:01 am
icedcoffee wrote:
I'm a teacher and sometimes I have to watch myself on video teaching. The whole experience is "ohh noooo what am I doing with my hands!" I don't think I do it in general but when I'm standing in front of 30 pairs of eyes watching me, it seems to come out.

I am sure your students love you for that! You are probably an exciting teacher who is very explicit with explanations with your hand motions, so don't stop that!

I take that anytime over a boring teacher who is just reading out of her notes, in a monotonous tone having a monologue by preaching her lectures.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:40 pm
When a date asked me if I always talk with my hands, I felt very self concious and forced my hands to stop moving. Until he was telling me something and using his hands to motion the action. So he could talk with his hands, but I can't? Needless to say, we didn't go out again.

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:36 am
I do not talk with my hands. If someone is very over the top about it, I find it distressing. Otherwise, I wouldn't really notice or give it a second thought.

Rappel

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 3:03 am
Well, now I feel like an alien:

Why is everyone bothered and embarrassed by using your hands as a story-telling tool? Or am I missing something? Body motions add richness, nuance, and emotion to your verbal meaning. I love body-talk; I think the world would seem very muted without it, like as if you had lost your sense of smell.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 5:45 am
There’s a difference between using occasional hand movements to illustrate a story and constantly making meaningless random motions unrelated to the story. One is a deliberate dramatic device that enhances the text while the other is background noise that distracts and detracts from it. It’s just as annoying as constantly interjecting um, err, uh, like, I mean, ya know?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:52 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I've read that genetically Jews are more similar to Italians than any other group. Because we originally come from the Mediterranean area.
I know OT, but I have songs relatives who aren't ffrum. If you'd see them on the streets, you'd think they are Greek. Dark and handsome and absolutely gorgeous Greek looking.
My cluster tales all have peyos, beard hat..... that look obviously Jewish. But has those been missing....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics