Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Erev shabbos food for guests
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:12 pm
solo wrote:
Both when I was a kid and now as a mom of kids I appreciate having food available before shabbos. When ur hungry ur hungry and it doesn’t matter that in 2 hrs Well be served a large meal. That’s just not something my kids can understand. Matter o fact I serve my kids a pre seudah snack (or supper when shabbos starts later) every week just so they don’t come to the table Feeling hungry and impatient.
I would say most of my adult guests politely decline any offers of food. And most guests with families accept and are happy to have something to feed their kids

If parents know that their kids will be hungry when they reach their destination, they should pack food for them. At most the hosts can put out some basic snack food. But hot kugel and sushi?! ridiculous to me.

Tzippy323

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:25 pm
Franks in blankets and chicken nuggets on toothpicks.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:29 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
If parents know that their kids will be hungry when they reach their destination, they should pack food for them. At most the hosts can put out some basic snack food. But hot kugel and sushi?! ridiculous to me.

Ridiculous to expect as a guest.
Extremely generous and good-hearted as a host.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:32 pm
In my neighborhood people look to host their guests in homes that have a private entrance to the guest room. Often the guests don’t even see the person whose house they are staying at.
When people ask me if I can host guests for shabbos I always explain that I don’t have a guest suite or basement apartment rather one of our bedrooms upstairs. Since there are many neighbors with better accommodations people decline my bedroom offer. Hence I believe that guests would rather not have to interact much with the person hosting them; although of course they are thankful and might even bring a small gift of appreciation.
When I’ve been a guest, I always appreciated a nut/chocolate platter and water bottles.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:55 pm
The more I think about it, I’d only ever leave out non perishable food. Like not cut fruit but rather whole fruit (apples, bananas, oranges, Stone fruit if in season, etc), nuts, dried fruit etc.

solo

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 12:09 pm
My guest apartment does have its own entrance. And I always offer to give them the combination so they can let themselves in anytime or they’re welcome to ring the front doorbell. Now that I’m thinking about it The only time guests let themselves into the apartment is when they’re arriving at odd hrs. It does seem nice to say hello and introduce urself. I show them around the apartment and my kitchen and let them know that Asside from the beverages I leave in the fridge I don’t like food in the apartment but they’re welcome to help themselves to anything in my kitchen. Usually the next time I’ll c them is when they’re saying goodbye before they leave.
When I know ppl are staying by me I try to have a stocked pantry and cut fruit n veg in the fridge. Guests rarely help themselves. On erev shabbos I always prepare enough to offer guests. and when it’s families with kids they almost always accept. Sometimes they feed they’re kids breakfast at my house too.
All this to say that I don’t think it’s absurd to prepare food for guests even if ur not hosting for the weekend. Personally I would be caught off guard if a family showed up with their own food and ate it at my table. (I once arrived at my accommodations with sandwiches not knowing what to expect. But when they offered us cake n food We were happy to accept. And the sammies stayed in my suitcase all weekend. the one time guests had obviously been eating in the apartment even though I asked that they don’t I thought it was rude.
Also I really don’t appreciate those hostess packages ppl leave for they’re guests with babka or something sweet something salty boxes. I usually say ur hostess left u a package with some food and an itinerary if u don’t mind pls save the food for when u get home. Who wants crumbs under the bed.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 12:22 pm
solo wrote:
My guest apartment does have its own entrance. And I always offer to give them the combination so they can let themselves in anytime or they’re welcome to ring the front doorbell. Now that I’m thinking about it The only time guests let themselves into the apartment is when they’re arriving at odd hrs. It does seem nice to say hello and introduce urself. I show them around the apartment and my kitchen and let them know that Asside from the beverages I leave in the fridge I don’t like food in the apartment but they’re welcome to help themselves to anything in my kitchen. Usually the next time I’ll c them is when they’re saying goodbye before they leave.
When I know ppl are staying by me I try to have a stocked pantry and cut fruit n veg in the fridge. Guests rarely help themselves. On erev shabbos I always prepare enough to offer guests. and when it’s families with kids they almost always accept. Sometimes they feed they’re kids breakfast at my house too.
All this to say that I don’t think it’s absurd to prepare food for guests even if ur not hosting for the weekend. Personally I would be caught off guard if a family showed up with their own food and ate it at my table. (I once arrived at my accommodations with sandwiches not knowing what to expect. But when they offered us cake n food We were happy to accept. And the sammies stayed in my suitcase all weekend. the one time guests had obviously been eating in the apartment even though I asked that they don’t I thought it was rude.
Also I really don’t appreciate those hostess packages ppl leave for they’re guests with babka or something sweet something salty boxes. I usually say ur hostess left u a package with some food and an itinerary if u don’t mind pls save the food for when u get home. Who wants crumbs under the bed.

I understand you don’t want food in your guest apartment but I really think you should tell your neighbors before agreeing to host their guests.
Personally I always bring small snacks when going away- with or without kids. I would have a hard time following your rules if I brought something let’s say to eat before I leave in the morning. Some of the pros of staying in a private guest apartment is specifically for this - privacy! I would feel very uncomfortable going into your kitchen and eating your food. Of course it’s beyond nice of you to have strangers sleeping over and no one wants to deal with someone else’s crumbs; that’s really not nice. So I just think you should mention the no eating rule before. I wouldn’t eat in your kitchen and would have packed a few things to eat privately ( without leaving a mess hopefully).

solo

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:18 am
I always tell my neighbors and then the guests when I c them that I don’t want food in the apartment. It’s not a chessed apartment and I don’t have a staff to maintain it... I wonder if ppl r surprised when they hear that.
Obv if someone eats 3 almonds on the sofa Ill never know or care. But when I find empty yogurt containers in the trash or crumbs on the counter it really bothers me (and I’d decline to host next time im asked)
It was so obvious to me but I guess that’s why ppl thought it’s silly to offer guests food.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:37 am
solo wrote:
I always tell my neighbors and then the guests when I c them that I don’t want food in the apartment. It’s not a chessed apartment and I don’t have a staff to maintain it... I wonder if ppl r surprised when they hear that.
Obv if someone eats 3 almonds on the sofa Ill never know or care. But when I find empty yogurt containers in the trash or crumbs on the counter it really bothers me (and I’d decline to host next time im asked)
It was so obvious to me but I guess that’s why ppl thought it’s silly to offer guests food.

An empty yogurt container bothers you??

solo

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 12:20 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
An empty yogurt container bothers you??

Yes. If I make and specific request and it’s disregarded I’d consider that rude and disrespectful enough that I wouldn’t want to open my home to them again
I’m happy to help someone out. Especially with such minimal effort. But if know that I can’t trust them or I feel like they are not respectful of my things I would not want to put myself in that position again

solo

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 12:27 pm
Also. Tx for all the suggestions. I made an extra potato kugel. fresh is best but the first early shabbos I hate leaving things for Friday. Also frank n blanks cuz I was feeling more lazy n less healthy😁

momof6girls

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:10 pm
my friend told me this great recipe perfect for erev shabbos.
frozen strawberries, a can of pineapple tidbits, kiwi, pomegranate aril, some orange juice & sugar.
watch it disappear!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:12 pm
momof6girls wrote:
frozen strawberries, a can of pineapple tidbits, kiwi, pomegranate aril, some orange juice & sugar.
watch it disappear!

Really? I wouldn’t touch that. Canned fruit is way too sweet to my liking. Plus it seems to liquidy and messy to leave in a guest bedroom

solo

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 5:16 pm
momof6girls wrote:
watch it disappear!

Yummy my sil makes it + jello 😋 😋 😋
But also so full of sugar we consider it a special treat

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 5:54 pm
momof6girls wrote:
watch it disappear!

What is it? A drink?
The kiwis aren’t smooshed?

persephonefalls

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:51 pm
Wow guys, wow.

Just to recap: no one is saying anyone HAS to provide erev shabbat food for their guest apartment guests. It's definitely not a requirement, and is absolutely above and beyond. But why are you all so critical of someone who wants to do a nice thing?

The question isn't "why don't you all provide erev shabbat food?" The question is "can you suggest good options for me to provide?" If you don't have any ideas, you can just...not respond. Just like that!

My 2 cents: I think potato kugel is great, if it's not too inconvenient for you. But aside from that, I appreciate food that keeps, that might be a good snack late at night after the meal, or the next morning, like nuts, pretzels, or whole fruit, and a bottle of water.

If there's a fridge in your guest house, you can provide challah rolls or bagels, and leave some sandwich fixings in the fridge (cream cheese, sliced cheese, tuna, etc). Even if you don't have a fridge, you could provide bagels and little packets of cream cheese or butter.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics