Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What does she have?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 5:28 pm
Babyblue I understand what you saying , but I just wanted to first know what’s she has and then from there I can do my research on how to solve it
Thanks for the book I’m gonna look into it

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 5:31 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
As someone with adhd... I completely understand your daughter. I couldn’t concentrate with so much noise and did so much better one on one. I was barely passing in school because of the distractions But when taken out one on one, I excelled.

As an adult, I am affected by this daily and I’m 40. I take adderall and there are times when I need quiet at work to concentrate and get things done with out any distractions.

Wow that’s sounds hard ! So how was your life during school ? miserable ? there is something that you did to make it less hard ?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 5:36 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
OP ou said she's already complaining as soon as she sees you after school, is she hungry then? Does she eat in school?

Yes that’s another problem I didn’t mention
She doesn’t eat healthy food ,so lunch she eats very little

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 6:20 pm
ADHD/ ODD possibly
Sounds just like my DC. The reason you haven’t heard about is because it’s not usually diagnosed until second or third grade. A psychologist or psychiatrist should be able to guide you. Children like this need strict routine and consistency, A LOT of patience, and good diet , lots of physical activity, and enough sleep are important.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 6:24 pm
Can everyone please, please, please stop trying to diagnose over the internet from a snippet of information given by a parent without a real evaluation of the child? There are many things that have overlap, and even a professional who has seen and diagnosed many cases can have hunches that are proven to be wrong after a real evaluation?

Saying that something could be an issue and should be looked into is different than saying something *is* the issue.

/soapbox

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 6:31 pm
How many people do you know who don't eat well or sleep well day after day and still are pleasant people to be around? That's too much to ask of anyone, let alone a small child. A brain can't function normally without proper nutrition and sleep. That's extremely basic.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 7:27 pm
Maybe do a sleep study to find if there is an underlying issue.
A good kinesiologist/functional medical doctor can help detect and treat underlying issues.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:46 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Can everyone please, please, please stop trying to diagnose over the internet from a snippet of information given by a parent without a real evaluation of the child? There are many things that have overlap, and even a professional who has seen and diagnosed many cases can have hunches that are proven to be wrong after a real evaluation?

Saying that something could be an issue and should be looked into is different than saying something *is* the issue.

/soapbox

Don’t worry I wouldn’t give her any medication without asking the doctor . People are just give some ideas of what it could be so I know which professional to go (I don’t know if you read but the pediatrician said she is fine which o don’t believe )
And by the way a lot of the advice of “those strangers on internet “ were more useful to me that the ones that I receive till now ...the blanket , the book etc ...
And I don’t live in USA so I can’t even ask for recommendation of professional

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:56 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Melatonin is made from serotonin, converted via methylation. Have you tried melatonin precursors to give her body the building blocks to make more melatonin? Those would be tryptophan, 5htp, l theanine, gaba. The herb chinese skullcap has a lot of natural melatonin.

In general I find this book explains the neurology well and gives very realistic doable treatment options. It's officially for adhd but can help anyone with similar type symptoms https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

Melatonin in a bottle is standardized and in an easy to give measurement. Herbs can vary widely, even in the same bottle.

DD's pediatrician said that if your body is not producing enough melatonin, then it is not a problem to take a small amount, even over very long periods of time (I mean years, not weeks).

If you are deficient in vitamin D, you can't get "reliant or addicted" to taking a vitamin D supplement. It's the exact same thing. If your body needs it, then you need it!

With DD, on days when she didn't have to get up on time, we would give her the choice of taking a melatonin break so she could stay up later and play, but she often wanted it when she felt overtired. We tried to take her off it for summer vacation, but again, we made it her choice.

She's a teenager now, and doesn't take it anymore. She still has trouble settling down for sleep, and I suggested she try taking it again. She said she's rather try to teach her body to sleep when she wanted it to, and I respect her decision. I thought that was a very mature way of looking at it (even though she tends to nap in class.)

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Really? And we went already for like 3 psychologist !
Who usually give the diagnosis for ADHD ?

Usually a neurologist or developmental pediatrician or even a psychiatrist diagnoses ADHD and other neurological issues. Please don’t take a diagnosis from here. Take her to the right person, and hopefully you will get to the bottom of this.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:23 am
Franticfrummie Did she have to make an analysis to know if her body is producing enough melatonin?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:55 pm
I've been on Chinese Skullcap for a couple of months and seen a HUGE difference. But it was prescribed for me by an alternative practitioner, I don't usually like to self-medicate, even in herbal & homeopathics.

You might like this CD - relaxation for kids.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 3:32 pm
The body adapts to melatonin.
It's like using tylenol or cough medicine long term in that sense. (Not comparing it to those as medication lol)

Erin

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:28 am
Have her go through comprehensive neuto-cognitive testing. It can be an attachment disorder. Look up the symptoms. Good luck and good for you for addressing it early.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:01 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I've been on Chinese Skullcap for a couple of months and seen a HUGE difference. But it was prescribed for me by an alternative practitioner, I don't usually like to self-medicate, even in herbal & homeopathics.

You might like this CD - relaxation for kids.
chinese skullcap is da bomb!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Franticfrummie Did she have to make an analysis to know if her body is producing enough melatonin?

It's pretty easy to tell by the results. If you have really horrific dreams, and wake up exhausted, then you don't have a deficiency and the problem is something else.

If you fall asleep within a half an hour, and wake up on time feeling rested, the you most definitely needed it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:01 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It's pretty easy to tell by the results. If you have really horrific dreams, and wake up exhausted, then you don't have a deficiency and the problem is something else.

If you fall asleep within a half an hour, and wake up on time feeling rested, the you most definitely needed it.
Common misconception that if you don't tolerate a supplement, that means you don't need it. There are many reasons why people would react poorly to melatonin, that doesn't necessarily mean they make enough melatonin.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:12 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Common misconception that if you don't tolerate a supplement, that means you don't need it. There are many reasons why people would react poorly to melatonin, that doesn't necessarily mean they make enough melatonin.

I'm just quoting my pediatrician. If you have other info on melatonin, please share.

advocate

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:34 am
Daven
Pediatrician.
Child Find

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:00 pm
UPDATED - thank you all we just got the diagnosis today ADD
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)