Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Insight Lkwd elementary school

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 12:52 pm
Orchos Chaim vs Ohr Yehuda (Rabbi Bender's school)

Looking for insight from parents who send to each.

I have heard a lot about each school, but I am looking to hear from parents who actually send there.

I am not looking to hear good luck getting in, or don't count your chickens before they hatch.

I am looking to make an informed decision, and if you have any helpful insight in these following areas I would love to hear from you.

- focus on Middos?
- Hanahala knows every kid/personalized, warm environment, focus on child as an individual?
- what type are you (parent body)?
- peer pressure amongst the kids? (In both Gashmiyus like what knapsack/game do you have to Ruchnius like how much are you learning)?
- bullying policy?
- additional services for children who may need (whether it may be a focusing issue, social issue, or behavioral issue) and support from school?
- English department up to par?
- well run and organized school?
- security measures?

Thank you in advance.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:15 pm
I send to orchos chaim

focus on Middos?

dont know what this means. It’s not reall a focus. You just act appropriately.
Boys are expected to behave. Especially older grades they are strict about behavior in school talk with derech eretz.
In primary there is s social skills class where they discuss including other kids. Being nice.

- Hanahala knows every kid/personalized, warm environment, focus on child as an individual?

Tons of staff. Rabbi shulman seems to know exactly what is going on. Not sure how that is possible tho Smile. Every 1-2 grades has a skan menahel and some also assistant to skan. They are very approachable and available and really now what is going on.

Very big mix. Yeshivish (surprisingly a lot) to all ends. Lots of very rich kids.
I had a feeling in primary it was grouped by yeshivish (& money due to working or learning). But I totally made that up. My sons have some of the wealthiest along with boys whose fathers are still learning and they live in small apt. But the richer is the more common
We are yeshivish in hashkafa. DH works . I dress very tzinius not trendy. We are prob on poorer end of parent body sprectrum. We don’t stick out at all.
They try to be strict with internet, books, movies. Personally my kids have no internet access or screen time. I don’t really hear too much about it.

- peer pressure amongst the kids? (In both Gashmiyus like what knapsack/game do you have to Ruchnius like how much are you learning)?

My kids are pretty oblivious. They dress very cheap. Somethings are important based on what they see like Nike sneakers. But no specific napsacks. (They use the same lands end ones for 2 years with no problem).
Sometimes they’ll ask for like $100 sweatshirt - but I don’t get it and there is no problem with old navy. Prob most of the class had old navy anyways.
There is no mid winter vacation so no stress there. Smile

At these ages there isn’t really peer pressure to learn more. In 8th grade some boys will learn more or during lunch. But it’s not really the norm (would be surprised if norm in any yeshiva)

- bullying policy?
Excellent. One phone call fixed any issues I’ve ever had. (Bus issues, snack sharing pressure, sports teams)

Recess is very supervised by rebbeim and teachers. I find rebbeim are very good at setting up sports leagues and getting kids involved.

- additional services for children who may need (whether it may be a focusing issue, social issue, or behavioral issue) and support from school?
Excellent. They are very on top and have some of the best services in Lakewood.

I have issues with it - but they say it is from the better options.
They are strict you must behave during English. Follow the curriculum.
Recently had an issue where English didn’t work out on year. Spoke to my friend who is an English principle in oot mo school and was telling me she had same issue. So I guess I can’t expect perfection.
Boys learn reading, math, spelling, vocabulary, history, some science. No computers. No script hand writing.

Excellent. Runs very on time. They are super yekkish - to the point it’s a joke.

- security measures?

Guard at front door.
Buzz you in.
Kids can’t leave until parent arrives.
The txt you of kid is absent.
Problem is that kids will still open outside doors sometimes - but I think they try their best.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:18 pm
I applied to orchos Chaim - they wouldn’t send me even an application; said no room . I’m also looking into more information about ohr Yehuda .

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:22 pm
Thank you very much Forestgreen. I really appreciate the time you took to write that all out. It was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, insightful, to the point, and first hand.

I would love to hear others experiences as well or from parents who send to Ohr Yehuda.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:23 pm
In general, if possible, an established school that is thriving with parallel classes is always a better choice

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:52 pm
Orchos chaim is looking for a specific parent body. I think less and less yeshivish ppl apply. Especially now that tuition went up and there are so many new choices.
I think a yeshivish family. Father learning. Wears white shirt. Has rav call and describe family would have first be accepted as a new family.

It’s always worth a try. And if for some reason you really want a specific school you are mor likely to get in August or even after school starts. (I know from experience with my daughters). I know ppl who really held out like thatat orchos chaim. Often kids are held back or pushed ahead last minute creating new slots.

tinyfingerprint

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:55 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I applied to orchos Chaim - they wouldn’t send me even an application; said no room . I’m also looking into more information about ohr Yehuda .

... Just curious as to when you requested the application from Orchos Chaim?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:01 pm
Few days ago .

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:06 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
In general, if possible, an established school that is thriving with parallel classes is always a better choice

They're both thriving est schools with parallel classes

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:44 pm
tinyfingerprint wrote:
... Just curious as to when you requested the application from Orchos Chaim?

Why ?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:11 pm
I know 2 boys who moved to Lakewood in the middle of last year and they got in. Administration said they had an empty slot for those grades. Getting into primary might be harder because they fill up half of each class with siblings.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:51 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I send to orchos chaim

focus on Middos?

dont know what this means. It’s not reall a focus. You just act appropriately.
Boys are expected to behave. Especially older grades they are strict about behavior in school talk with derech eretz.
In primary there is s social skills class where they discuss including other kids. Being nice.

Tons of staff. Rabbi shulman seems to know exactly what is going on. Not sure how that is possible tho Smile. Every 1-2 grades has a skan menahel and some also assistant to skan. They are very approachable and available and really now what is going on.

Very big mix. Yeshivish (surprisingly a lot) to all ends. Lots of very rich kids.
I had a feeling in primary it was grouped by yeshivish (& money due to working or learning). But I totally made that up. My sons have some of the wealthiest along with boys whose fathers are still learning and they live in small apt. But the richer is the more common
We are yeshivish in hashkafa. DH works . I dress very tzinius not trendy. We are prob on poorer end of parent body sprectrum. We don’t stick out at all.
They try to be strict with internet, books, movies. Personally my kids have no internet access or screen time. I don’t really hear too much about it.

My kids are pretty oblivious. They dress very cheap. Somethings are important based on what they see like Nike sneakers. But no specific napsacks. (They use the same lands end ones for 2 years with no problem).
Sometimes they’ll ask for like $100 sweatshirt - but I don’t get it and there is no problem with old navy. Prob most of the class had old navy anyways.
There is no mid winter vacation so no stress there. Smile

At these ages there isn’t really peer pressure to learn more. In 8th grade some boys will learn more or during lunch. But it’s not really the norm (would be surprised if norm in any yeshiva)

- bullying policy?
Excellent. One phone call fixed any issues I’ve ever had. (Bus issues, snack sharing pressure, sports teams)

Recess is very supervised by rebbeim and teachers. I find rebbeim are very good at setting up sports leagues and getting kids involved.

Excellent. They are very on top and have some of the best services in Lakewood.

I have issues with it - but they say it is from the better options.
They are strict you must behave during English. Follow the curriculum.
Recently had an issue where English didn’t work out on year. Spoke to my friend who is an English principle in oot mo school and was telling me she had same issue. So I guess I can’t expect perfection.
Boys learn reading, math, spelling, vocabulary, history, some science. No computers. No script hand writing.

Excellent. Runs very on time. They are super yekkish - to the point it’s a joke.

- security measures?

Guard at front door.
Buzz you in.
Kids can’t leave until parent arrives.
The txt you of kid is absent.
Problem is that kids will still open outside doors sometimes - but I think they try their best.

Are u me forestgreen? I could have written your post verbatim! I wish I could speak to you irl! I thought I was the only poor, yeshivish parent in the school:( my sons are thrilled in school and we as parents couldn't be Happier!! It's really a great mosad with a really mixed crowd. And so far my sons have BH zero pressure from the wealthier kids in their class Smile

tinyfingerprint

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:34 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Why ?

I requested one on Isru Chag and got one so I was curious as to how much later they closed out the application process.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics