Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Storing fruits and vegetables?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 5:02 am
posting anon because I'm embarrassed at how little I know!

my fruits and vegetables always go bad really quickly, so I think I'm doing it wrong. what's supposed to be in the fridge, what's supposed to be left out? do I leave them in plastic bags or take them out? can I store them in the pantry (dark) or do they need to be out in the open? can someone please walk me through it? Sad

yksraya

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 5:48 am
All vegtables except for potatoes belong in a fridge.

avocado if not ripe it belongs in a dark dry place and when it turns soft eat it or store in fridge so it stays fresh.

garlic belongs outside too I store it near spices.

amazingmommy

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 7:17 am
I also store my onions outside.

LN

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 7:26 am
What I've learned from trial and error...

Do not leave in plastic bags. Potatoes, bananas and onions out of fridge. Onions more cry resistsant when cold (chill before cutting).

Avocados to ripen out, to keep longer in fridge.

Much is related to temperature. Wash fruits/veg before eating, not before storing. Store dry/low humidity if possible. Allow for air flow.

Enjoy.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 8:56 am
Each one is different. Check online for each. Things ripen slower in the cold, so if it's not ripe and you want it, either leave it out or for faster, a brown paper bag. If something is overripe, either use it or freeze it, if possible.

In my house bananas don't necessarily go very fast, so I leave it in the fridge. The downside is, it's cold. Also with bananas should be separated because one affects the other. The bananas I leave in the fridge might turn brown faster than if I leave it out, but the inside gets brown faster out of the fridge. In other words, the brown ones in the fridge, the inside of it might be brown and if I left it out and it's brown, for sure the inside is. Once I see it's brown for awhile and no one ate it, I stick it in the freezer. When I'm ready to use it, not plain, I leave it out to defrost and then squeeze and use.

Celery, wrap the whole thing in foil. I've had it lasting, nice and crisp, for at least two weeks in the fridge like that.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 9:32 am
Never store tomatoes in the fridge. For leafy greens with stems (parsley, cilantro, chard, kale etc) trim a pit of the stem and put in a glass of water. For storage they can go in the top shelf of your fridge or if your kitchen isn't very warm just sit them on the counter. For celery, trim the bottom and put into water and store on the top shelf of your fridge.

For leafy greens such as leafy lettuces, rinse or soak, spin dry and layer in a plastic bin, with paper towels between. They will keep for weeks. Same with fresh to market carrots (these quickly wilt), just put a few on the top of a box of greens.

Avocado's ripen best at room temp with a apple in a paper bag. Apples and bananas off gas and that gas helps to ripen their fruit and that of others. Consequently if you want green bananas to ripen quickly put them in a bag with some apples.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 9:39 am
You'd be much better off Googling on "how to store fruits and vegetables" and get the lowdown on everything than asking here and getting dribs and drabs of info on just a few items. .

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 9:53 am
zaq wrote:
You'd be much better off Googling on "how to store fruits and vegetables" and get the lowdown on everything than asking here and getting dribs and drabs of info on just a few items. .

You must have missed the memo, Ima has replaced Google.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 26 2015, 10:03 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
You must have missed the memo, Ima has replaced Google.

As well as the community rabbi, family doctor, and any number of therapists.

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:48 am
zaq wrote:

Old thread but I just located this helpful article.

https://www.rd.com/food/fun/ke.....nger/

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics