Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do you hold of the Eruv in Flatbush?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

dovebird

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 4:43 pm
I’ve seen a bunch of people using strollers and want to know what rabbi people are holding by so I could get my own heter as well. (Totally not judging anyone!)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 4:58 pm
No. R' Moshe was against it. Nothing has changed to mitigate his psak.

I think that Ocean Parkway is the biggest issue, but I forgot the details.

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 5:15 pm
No, don't use it and never did. The halacha hasn't changed, but unfortunately we do see more people using it than in the past. I haven't heard of any Rabbonim coming out and permitting its use. Some of the people you see may be visitors who just assume that "Brooklyn must have an eruv" since their communities do.

amother
White

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 5:39 pm
I don't know of any RW frum rabbanim who allow it. I was told that there is a problem with Ocean Parkway that precludes Flatbush from ever having a kosher eruv.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 5:56 pm
dovebird wrote:
I’ve seen a bunch of people using strollers and want to know what rabbi people are holding by so I could get my own heter as well. (Totally not judging anyone!)

It is absolutely not a valid eruv, please do not use it! If you ask any of the people who hold from it, which rabbis okay it, and which rabbis are in charge of checking it and maintaining it, you get the same answer: “No one knows.” It’s sad, they’re absolutely being mechallel Shabbos.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:19 pm
Www.avenjc.org/eruv

dovebird

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:33 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
No. R' Moshe was against it. Nothing has changed to mitigate his psak.

I think that Ocean Parkway is the biggest issue, but I forgot the details.

Yes I’ve heard this before. I guess there aren’t any ways around it?!

dovebird

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:34 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Www.avenjc.org/eruv

Thanks for this! Do you know who checks it? (Anyways I’m not even sure the eruv is where I need it)

mirror

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:35 pm
Yes. Convert to Sefardi. The sefardim in the neighborhood hold of the eruv.

dovebird

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:36 pm
mirror wrote:

Done and done!! LOL I’m Sephardi, do you know which Sephardi rabbi says it’s okay? I would like to contact him. Thanks!

Simple1

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:44 pm
mirror wrote:

Are you sure? As far as I know, many Sefardim are extra strict and often don't even hold by RW accepted eruvs.

cbsp

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:52 pm
dovebird wrote:
Thanks for this! Do you know who checks it? (Anyways I’m not even sure the eruv is where I need it)

From the "About the Rabbi" section of that website :

Meet Rabbi Eisenbach
Rabbi Eisenbach grew up in Brooklyn, attending Yeshivah of Flatbush. After graduating high school he went to learn in Eretz Yisrael at Yeshivah Elon Moreh. Rabbi Eisenbach learned in Yeshivas Ner Yisrael in Baltimore for eight years, from 1981-89; the last two years in its kollel, and received semichah there.

Afterwards he and several other yungeleit from Baltimore went to Milwaukee to learn in a kollel established by Harav Michel Twerski, shlita. He was there for almost two years.

Rabbi and Mrs. Eisenbach returned to New York in 1992, settling in Flatbush, where he began delivering shiurim in the shul and elsewhere. Eleven years ago he was asked to become assistant Rav under his predecessor, Rabbi Max Schreier, shlita, who was mara d'asra for over fifty years, and upon his retirement in 2012 Rabbi Eisenbach became the primary Rav of the shul.

In addition to his duties as rabbi of the shul, Rabbi Eisenbach has held the position of Mashgiach Ruchani at Stella K. Abraham (SKA) High School for Girls in Hewlett, N.Y. for the past 20 plus years.

He can be reached at rabbideisenbach@gmail.com

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:19 pm
My husband's family is heimish Boro Park and their Rav holds that there is an eruv in Flatbush. (they cross ocean parkway only on 1 particular Ave)

dovebird

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:33 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
My husband's family is heimish Boro Park and their Rav holds that there is an eruv in Flatbush. (they cross ocean parkway only on 1 particular Ave)

Boro Park has its own Eruv that doesn’t inclead ocean parkway- are you sure the rav hold Flatbush is also okay? Would love to hear more info

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:37 pm
I do not use any eruv in brooklyn, but I read an article on the flatbush eruv. They close off ocean Pkwy once a year. I think it is around ave R where you can see two low metal swing barriers laying along ocean pkwy.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:40 pm
I'm sefardi and don't know of any sefardim that hold of the eruv. However, it's said that Rav Ovadia didn't agree with Rav Moshe's psak but refrained from paskening against him.

cnc

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:42 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

Because there is not an Eruv along the whole Flatbush (Ocean Parkway) There is an Eruv in BP and an Eruv in Flatbush but they only overlap at certain points.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:45 pm
If there can be an eruv on the UWS and the UES I’m not sure why there can’t be an eruv in Flatbush.

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:01 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
If there can be an eruv on the UWS and the UES I’m not sure why there can’t be an eruv in Flatbush.

Those who don't recognize the validity of the Flatbush eruv also don't hold of the Manhattan one for the same reason. Rav Moshe Feinstein paskened that both places are considered a reshus harabim due to the high volume of people/traffic, and an eruv cannot be made around a reshus harabim.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:16 pm
Middle & left MO have held the eruv for at least half a century in flatbush. The new one is held of by almost noone in flatbush from any group outside the old one that was fine with the original eruv. The half of b.p. that holds of the b.p. eruv also holds of the flatbush eruv. In fact when this newer eruv came out, it was a well known fact that they had to shop for rabbi's to approve it and got one from b.p. and one from monsey after no after no from the flatbush rabbanim of all groups who didn't already use the old eruv. Once it was advertised as new and kosher The rabbanim were very upset and there was a letter sent out against going against rav Moshe's psak that had basically every medium to right wing rabbi's of all the neighborhood including the sefardic ones say it's not OK. The only ones who didn't sign on were the main Rabbi that helped it come to be and a couple other chassidish shteibels. Also some of these chassidish ravs of shteibels don't openly use it anymore because the kehilas don't pasken like their ravs on this.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries