Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you carry groceries using a belt?
1  2  Next

Would you use a belt to carry groceries?
Yes  
 21%  [ 15 ]
No  
 78%  [ 55 ]
Total Votes : 70

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:41 pm

I don't do this, but I saw someone carry their groceries like this today. What do you think?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:53 pm
I think that someone was exceptionally creative and. I’m jealous of such ingenuity. Why would I NOT do this? I’m not a guy and my skirts stay up without the aid of a belt, so what’s the problem?

MommyM

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:02 pm
What happens when the bags rip and fall down?!

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:15 pm
I wouldn't. I don't carry a belt, but I do carry a backpack and large cloth bag when planning to get groceries:)

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:16 pm
MommyM wrote:

What happens when they rip and fall down when you're holding them? No different.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:17 pm
My shoulder hurts just looking. (But yes I would, it’s not immediately obvious that it’s a belt.)

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 7:23 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
What happens when they rip and fall down when you're holding them? No different.

Exactly.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:10 pm
I wouldn't. I try to balance things in both hands. When I was in school carrying heavy books, I hurt my shoulder because the only way backpacks were worn was with one strap.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:21 pm
It still looks painful. I'd have a hard time carrying that.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:45 pm
This is reminding me - I once had to carry a bulky, heavy-ish booster seat for about a block and a half. After a few steps of not finding a comfortable way of carrying it, I put the strap over my shoulder and walked like that.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:22 pm
MommyM wrote:

Why would that happen?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:23 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I wouldn't. I try to balance things in both hands. When I was in school carrying heavy books, I hurt my shoulder because the only way backpacks were worn was with one strap.

You can use two belts then.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:18 am
No because when would I lift weights? Wink I do sometimes try to bend my elbows to lift and get some exercise.

On the shoulder, it would hurt, like a backpack like someone else said and on the waist, I would find very annoying because it would either bounce on my hips or legs constantly.

MommyM

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why would that happen?

When the the bags are not great quality and are heavy, it pulls a lot at the handles. (The ones in the picture look stretched thin.)

I feel like when you are actually holding them you get a better grip to prevent them from tearing.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:51 am
What nonsense. None of you ever carries groceries? None of you ever carries a big tote bag full of all your work or childcare essentials? None of you ever carried a briefcase/backpack/tote bag/messenger bag full of books for school? How is that any different? How do you think soldiers and mountain climbers manage their heavy packs?

I’m talking only to mass-transit-and-walk urban children here, not drive-to-the-pizza-shop-down-the-block suburbanites. All the urban children I know are well used to hauling heavy loads and do so in many different ways. Not too many drape grocery bags from their waists but so-called fanny packs are quite popular. Personally if I could balance a load on my head I would but so far that particular skill eludes me.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:35 pm
You can also use a belt as a handle to carry groceries with your hands. Either way, distributing the weight over a large area makes it easier and reduces hand pain.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:37 pm
MommyM wrote:
When the the bags are not great quality and are heavy, it pulls a lot at the handles. (The ones in the picture look stretched thin.)

The groceries in that picture were not bagged properly. They should have been packed fewer per bag, or double bagged.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:47 pm
Clever idea as long as there are no glass jars.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 3:32 pm
Genius.

Another great idea I've seen is filling a laundry basket.
(I just have from my car to my.front door which is about 40 feet, and I dont like doing a million trips). Sometimes I use my stroller.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 12:28 pm
Why don't more people just use a wheelie cart? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ea.....60935

The only problem with it, is if you have to go up and down a lot of stairs.

If that's the case, I bring two cloth grocery bags, and pack them with fairly equal weight so I have one on each shoulder.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics