Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ears sticking out

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:23 pm
My 3 month olds ears stick out I recently noticed. From research online it seems like after the first 2 months nothing can be done about that other than surgery.
My ears stick out. I have always hated it and been self conscious about them.
Googling it it makes it sound like it's a birth defect and can cause much psychological distress. Now I'm worried my daughter is going to grow up hating this part of her.
The websites make it seems like it's really unattractive.

Anyone else here whos ears stick out? What are your thoughts/feelings about them?

Out of curiosity anyone jnow how much surgery for this costs (in case she does decide she wants that when she is older)?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:35 pm
I am sure there are certain hairstyles that will flatter her better. IY"H as she gets older and her face fills out more and her hair grows, I think you'll notice the ears less.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:44 pm
I have really big ears and they stick out a bit.
I like then though. I think I / it looks nice. It always held ago of my hair tucked behind it really well. Lol.

My oldest had only one read sticking out a bit.
My bil was also bust about how she'll hate it and the phsycological issues it'll cause.....
He convinced me to take it down so it grows like that. Didn't help a at all.

Note sje has nice hair. You don't see it at all.
And she's really pretty kyh Of-I-may-say-ao-myself

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:52 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I am sure there are certain hairstyles that will flatter her better. IY"H as she gets older and her face fills out more and her hair grows, I think you'll notice the ears less.

No matter what I did with my hair I wasn't able to cover them up. If my hair was behind my ears they were obvious, if it was infrint if my ears they would still like out and looks really weird. I'd try to get hats to cover them up but that wouldn't even really work because it also just emphasized the fact that they weren't flat.

I'm worrying that her ears are going to get even worse- if she lays on her side and they told under can that cause then to stick out even more?

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:56 pm
If it was my kid, I wouldn't be looking into surgery while she's a baby; I would be determined to make her feel like the beautiful person she is (I'm assuming) so that she will never chas v'shalom feel she needs to change any part of her.

Then, if she really is bothered later on, we could always find out then what her options are.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:07 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
If it was my kid, I wouldn't be looking into surgery while she's a baby; I would be determined to make her feel like the beautiful person she is (I'm assuming) so that she will never chas v'shalom feel she needs to change any part of her.

Then, if she really is bothered later on, we could always find out then what her options are.

ooooooh no I wouldn't do surgery now. I don't think they even usually perform surgery for this until the child is at least 4 or 5 (personally I think that's super young unless it's the really extreme form and only if the kid is getting teased or parents are really worried about that being a possibility).

I really hope I never rub off any body insecurities on her. I just feel bad for her I guess since it's something I've always hated about myself...and after googling it it seems like it's a very valid thing to hate and that it's seen as a birth defect and less attractive and stuff. I cover my hair now and do so in a way that covers my ears also so I don't care so much anymore about mine I just would feel so bad for her if she cares about it when she's older. Does that make sense? Like I'd never TELL her all this- and I'd never make it obvious that I was even thinking it. I guess we all want the best for our kids? I sure hope she loves herself and never even notices or ends up thinking it's a cute trait. That would be awesome.

I personally think she's adorable.
The main thing I'm worried about is if the way she lays down can make the issue worse. Like if she lays down with her ears folded under can it cause them to stick out even more- since she's still developing. That's a question for her doctor I guess.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics