Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Are u ok with it?
Previous  1  2

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:40 am
Text is addictive to me- why cant it be addictive to a teen as well?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 3:15 pm
Crucial point missing here I think. "Don't text me, tell it straight to my face." If you get the reference, then you'll get what I mean. Texting allows people to break appointments, slink away, fail to show up - and all other sorts of interactions they wouldn't have if they had to call and speak to the other party. I've had appliance repair guys only show up because they can't text me and didn't want to deal with the call. In Israeli Hareidiville, no text available on kosher phones. The Rabbonim saw that was a problem and I think, honestly, they called it right.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 3:42 pm
So shy people shouldn't be able to communicate?

sequoia

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 4:58 pm
Well folks, that might fly in hareidiville, but in the real world, calling when it’s not an emergency is considered rude. Normally people text/fb message/whatever. If they want, they *schedule* a phone or skype date. Yes, in advance.

And no one has listened to voicemails since 2012.

So you can keep your teens from texting, but once they’re out in the wide world and they keep calling for things that could easily be conveyed by text, they’ll be considered rude.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:03 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Text is addictive to me- why cant it be addictive to a teen as well?

Anyone can become addicted, its more related to personality than age. And if a teen does have the tendency to become addicted, then wouldn't it better that she be taught and be guided how to properly use a phone before she reaches adulthood?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:15 am
I'm having a hard time figuring out how the word "addiction" applies here.

When we were younger, we would chat on the phone with our friends for hours. Our parents had to drag us off the phone in case they were expecting a call, or it was time for dinner.

I'm an avid reader, and when I was a teen my nose was stuck in a book every chance I got. I can still be that way at times, especially on Shabbos.

Does any of that qualify as an addiction? I think we're throwing the word around quite a bit lately, and not really understanding what we're trying to say. Not all habits are bad, and not all bad habits are addictions.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:33 am
sequoia wrote:
Well folks, that might fly in hareidiville, but in the real world, calling when it’s not an emergency is considered rude. Normally people text/fb message/whatever. If they want, they *schedule* a phone or skype date. Yes, in advance.

And no one has listened to voicemails since 2012.

So you can keep your teens from texting, but once they’re out in the wide world and they keep calling for things that could easily be conveyed by text, they’ll be considered rude.

This. Texting is an nonintrusive way of conveying your message. Nobody wants to talk on the phone for every little thing. In fact, during huge chunks of the day I am not free to pick up the phone, and I would be annoyed if someone called.

To the poster who said appliance guys show up just because they cant text to cancel. I've been around long before texting, and appliance guys and other workers often just stood you up without any warning. I really dont see how the advent of texting has deteriorated workers' reliability.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children