Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can a woman work outside the home?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:23 am
Saw this article and found it to be thought-provoking (and guilt-inducing since I do work outside the home). Not from a jewish source but sounds in sync with jewish values.

[link removed]
Thoughts?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:29 am
Thoughts?
Drivel

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:29 am
Didn't read it, but read eishes chayil and see whether the 'woman of valor' is praised for working outside the home.
Hint: Yes, she is.

sequoia

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:42 am
Stay far away from this creepy white guy.

Far, far, far away.

grace413

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:52 am
Why would you pay any attention to what a Christian source says?

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:53 am
Didn't read it.

Of course Jewish women can work. Nearly all do - even chassidish women work.

Ideal is if women can be full time home-maker but most can't make ends meet
without two incomes.

Aylat

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 2:19 am
I read a couple more of the articles on the blog. The author is unbelievably chauvinist! I wouldn't give credence to anything at all he says. In this entry he essentially says that women are relations slaves to their husbands. [link removed]
He also has some convoluted reasoning about why it's against the Bible for men to help clear the table.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 2:27 am
OK, I read this through. While there are many points that don't line up with our thoughts on women working, there are many points that do.

They don't have a problem with women working per se, as much as they have a problem with women who are not at home to take care of their own babies and toddlers. They don't want kids raised in daycare starting at 6 weeks old, just because that's how long your maternity leave is.

They also recognize that there are a lot of financial strains these days, and that many women MUST work, no matter how much they'd rather stay home. The problem they have is when women choose a career track that is very consuming, and parenting is just something they do on the side. (You can imagine how much they would disapprove of a full time nanny.)

It is very much encouraged to start a business from home, or to work remotely by computer. Anything that discourages mingling with men is considered a superior choice. I'm sure that many posters here will agree with that.

I don't agree or disagree with any of this. IMHO, you can't make a blanket statement either way. It depends on you, your kids, your DH, and your circumstances. There's no need to feel guilty for doing what you think is best for your family, even if you have to compromise here and there.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 2:31 am
I didnt read this. Why would we take life instructions from christian sources from the new testament? And I read maybe a paragraph or three in the whole long article. He is a pure old fashion chauvinist. Plain and simple.

Jewish women work outside the home. Of course they do. Sometimes both spouses have to work outside the home. And sometimes women like working outside the home.

What absolute drivel.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 2:46 am
Aylat wrote:
I read a couple more of the articles on the blog. The author is unbelievably chauvinist! I wouldn't give credence to anything at all he says. In this entry he essentially says that women are relations slaves to their husbands.
He also has some convoluted reasoning about why it's against the Bible for men to help clear the table.

Ew, ew, ew! It's like someone mashed up The Handmaid's Tale with The Surrendered Wife, and then added a hefty dash of male privilege. Puke

I'm not even going to post the most offensive parts. Read at your own risk.

ETA: My parents were devout Xians. This blog is the complete opposite of how they ran their lives.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 3:01 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

They don't have a problem with women working per se, as much as they have a problem with women who are not at home to take care of their own babies and toddlers. They don't want kids raised in daycare starting at 6 weeks old, just because that's how long your maternity leave is.

They also recognize that there are a lot of financial strains these days, and that many women MUST work, no matter how much they'd rather stay home. The problem they have is when women choose a career track that is very consuming, and parenting is just something they do on the side. (You can imagine how much they would disapprove of a full time nanny.)

I definitely agree with these points. (I don't know the context though)
Haven't read the article. Just reading the comments on this thread

Mayflower

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 3:52 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I didnt read this. Why would we take life instructions from christian sources from the new testament?...
Jewish women work outside the home.

This. So much this. Op, please don't link to articles quoting the new testament. It's just more evidence that Christian values aren't Jewish values.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 5:31 am
dolce of worms

rachel0615

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 6:31 am
I didnt read it. However all I can say is I am a much happier mom and wife when I work. When I was home on maternity leave I was miserable and therefore unable to give my best self to those around me. Also there is no way for us to make ends meet without us both working (yay for teacher/rebbe salaries) so bh I feel this way!

sequoia

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 10:21 am
FF, there’s no “they.” It’s one creepy dude who’s still mad at his first wife for cheating on him.

I read through the entire website - there’s pages on “how to discipline your wife,” “wife spanking,” “the manosphere,” “how to be an abusive psycho and avoid going to jail,” and so forth. He also thinks women shouldn’t have the vote and should be legally subservient to their fathers/brothers/husbands.

And he’s a big proponent of polygamy, as is typical for men who can’t satisfy one wife.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 10:44 am
Oh please. It’s not in sync with Torah values. Nowhere in the Torah does it say- a mother shalt not work.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:08 pm
This is not even mainstream xtian belief.

Guy is a sicko: abuser and mysogynist who is trying to use the Bible
to justify his perversions.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:30 pm
What a silly question. And bringing a christian article? Feeh

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:31 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
What a silly question. And bringing a christian article? Feeh

Most Christians are NOTHING like this!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics