Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Spitting up

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:33 am
When do babies stop spitting up after feeds?

My 1 year old is still spitting up lots, think projectile, when he has a large amount of his bottle in one go.

Is that to be expected still at this age?

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:36 am
Sounds like he may be drinking too much.

tsc3

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:38 am
I do not think that is normal anymore for a 1 year old. I had a child with really bad reflux (constant projectile) and child grew out of it by around 8 months or so. I would tell you to check it out.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:58 am
If it's only happening occasionally, when he drinks too much, it could be he's just choking on it and that's causing him to throw up. Have you checked the state of the teats? Children with teeth like to bite through them, making the hole too big and too much coming out at once.
Do they throw up after anything else? (I'm assuming they're eating some solids) Is it maybe one position they're in?
If it's every feed, full on spitting up, it probably should be checked out.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 12:18 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
If it's only happening occasionally, when he drinks too much, it could be he's just choking on it and that's causing him to throw up. Have you checked the state of the teats? Children with teeth like to bite through them, making the hole too big and too much coming out at once.
Do they throw up after anything else? (I'm assuming they're eating some solids) Is it maybe one position they're in?
If it's every feed, full on spitting up, it probably should be checked out.

What does "state of the teats" mean?

lcraighten

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 12:20 pm
I think she meant the nipple of the bottle.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:47 pm
lcraighten wrote:
I think she meant the nipple of the bottle.

yes, sorry-that's what we call it in the UK Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 2:29 pm
Thank you all!

Teats are fine - lol I’m also in the UK so didn’t even think twice when it was written! Spitting up isn’t even a term we use but I thought majority mums are not in UK so I used a term most would be familiar with! Funny!

We do get some sicking of solids, not nearly as much as the milk though. We get lots of little sicks and still plenty big ones... he is sitting and I keep him upright after feeds too.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 5:40 pm
What is he drinking in his bottle? My daughter did that and turned out she was allergic to what we were putting in the bottle.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:47 pm
anonymrs wrote:
What is he drinking in his bottle? My daughter did that and turned out she was allergic to what we were putting in the bottle.

It’s just formula milk. I would have thought if allergic we would be having much more severe vomiting no? I just wonder how unusual it is for him to still be throwing it up at 1 years old.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 8:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s just formula milk. I would have thought if allergic we would be having much more severe vomiting no? I just wonder how unusual it is for him to still be throwing it up at 1 years old.

Is it milk-based? Have you ruled out a milk allergy? If it's reflux, would most likely have stopped by now. It's more typical of a true allergy to persist and still be projectile vomiting at a year.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 5:38 am
Have you seen a doctor recently or did they originally do anything?
It might be worth keeping a 'throwing up' diary to follow what he's actually throwing up-if it is some sort of allergy, it might show a pattern, eg: breakfast-kept down weetabix, threw up after banana etc. Then you also have something to show the doctor
I know my sister as a baby was allergic to so many things and she just kept throwing them up. Now BH she's only off milk and outgrew the others.
You could also try doing a really basic diet and seeing if it calms down. Which formula do you use? You could try the soya formula and see if that makes a difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics