Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Homemade sushi

Chew21

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:14 pm
Anyone have any good homemade sushi recipe that tastes like store bought? Sweet potato tempura, onion?

Chew21

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:53 am
Bump

mammale

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:02 am
Not a specific recipe, but some tips include:
Use sushi rice and add sugar and rice vinegar to it.
Toast the nori by holding it over an open flame for a few seconds.
Don't forget the sauces;)
I am looking for ideas of what to put into sushi (I typically stick to California because I don't know what else goes)

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:11 am
Use the special sushi rice, and seasoned rice vinegar. I add sugar to the mix, because I like my rice to be sweet. Buy pretoated nori, because toasting it yourself is an art, and a royal pain at that.

Avocado, cucumber, thinly sliced carrot, shiitake mushrooms, and kanpyo are all good vegetables to put in. Sweet potato fries made in the oven are a good substitute for tempura, and much easier.

If you are going to do fish, go to a good fish market and ask them what they have that is fresh and safe for sushi. If you are OOT, they'll usually only have salmon. If you are lucky enough to live on the East or West coast of America, or in any other port city, there are other types of kosher fish you can use.

Dynasea "mock crab sticks" are popular in frum circles to put in sushi, but I'm not crazy about them.

If you totally fail at making tight, even rolls, you will wonder how you lived so long without this handy little gadget. https://www.amazon.com/JapanBa.....10PGE Time to throw away that infuriating bamboo mat, or repurpose it for something crafty.

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:41 am
We make sushi a lot and here are a few tips:

I've had a hard time finding good Japanese short grain rice in the US. Most of the rice I found in stores was pre-washed, and I found it cooked weirdly. We buy this brand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

For the best results, you need to cook rice the Japanese way. Rinsing it several times in a colander to remove the residue from polishing, soaking it (if you aren't cooking in a rice cooker that already includes soak time), then steaming. Here is a good guide for stovetop: https://www.justonecookbook.co.....rice/

Rice cooker is easier if you have a decent one.

Vinegar: I mix 1/3 cup plain rice vinegar with 2-3 TB sugar and 1.5 tsp salt.

Season the rice while hot and fold/stir it gently.

Fillings: For rolls, I mostly stick to cucumber, avocado, carrot, green onion, because that's easily available and my kids like simple. Fried sweet potato strips is a good idea! I also slice firm tofu (after salting and letting it drain overnight wrapped in paper towel) and fry thin strips of it, lightly season with soy sauce, and put that in. You can make a rolled omelette (Japanese style involves adding some soy sauce and a dash of sugar to the eggs before sauteeing and rolling). Sauteed shiitake mushrooms would be good. I love shiso leaf and myoga in sushi but they are hard to find in the US.

Fish: There isn't really good quality sushi-grade fish where I live so I typically don't bother, because the texture/quality matters so much.

Sauce: mix chili-garlic paste with mayonnaise for spicy mayo.

thanks

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:21 am
I make a really pretty sushi cake.

Cook sushi rice with a little sugar and rice vinegar. Place in an 8x8 pan, or I use a flower mold. Press along the sides and Scoop out the middle so it's hollow.
Next, fill with a mixture of Kani, avocado, spicy mayo and toasted sesame. Flip over on a plate. Drizzle with spice mayo and sweet sauce. Pretty and yummy.

copy

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:49 pm
I cook my rice in the instant pot when its still hot I seasoned it with sugar salt and rice vinigar
put in sliced avcodos sliced cucumbers I buy from the fish store fresh lox slices I roll it with a sushi roller witch I bought it buy amozon serve it with sauce kids love it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics