Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O - which is worse, fashion industry or wig industry

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:14 am
If you read up about it (Emma Tarlo - Entanglement - The Secret Lives of Hair), or watch the one hour free prime video about hair (Just Extensions, I think it was, though currently not available) you really have to wonder.

There are women somewhere in Asia sitting over bowls of chemicals to straighten, curl, strip the cuticle, bleach or dye hair. The hair was sold by poor women in villages or swept from barbershops, or collected from combs and brushes, or shaved at a temple in India ... the more you read the less you will want to wear someone elses hair.

(And by the way, you probably can't trust anyone as to where the hair originated, as it's shipped from one place to another and re-sold under any name they feel will sell.)

ETA: corrected title (Thanks, UG) and - I found it on ebay for under $10, you might have to wait a bit to get a good price.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:23 am
It is very sad that people are extremely poor and have to work hard for a bit of food. However, if all
Sheitel wearing women and those who wear extensions in their hair, will now stop to do so based on these facts, do you think it will help relieve poverty?

Yes, factory owners should provide safe work environments for their workers and a living wage. Agreed.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:24 am
fashion destroys self esteem

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you read up about it (Emma Tarlo - The Secret Lives of Hair), or watch the one hour free prime video about hair (Just Extensions, I think it was, though currently not available) you really have to wonder.

I LOVE THAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!! It's one of the most fascinating and well written nonfiction books I've ever read, I recommend it to anyone and everyone who will listen. Everyone on this thread, please please make a point of reading and educating yourselves!!! You will not regret becoming more informed and educated about this subject and you will never look at your sheitel the same way again, EVER

The complete title is Entanglement: The Secret Lives of Hair

I kind of feel like hair is worse because the whole process is so bizarre, the markup is so egregious, there is so much exploitation and criminal involvement, and the nature of the product you get is so opaque and difficult to evaluate

And yes, I laugh at people who look for a hashgacha on the hair or look for "no Indian hair" like that hair is sold and resold dozens of times there is NO WAY you will ever know where it came from.... I try to explain this to people but nobody will listen to me

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:42 am
Ruchel wrote:
fashion destroys self esteem

Fashion can just as easily bolster self esteem
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics