Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
AP/AR field

mra01385

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:38 am
Anyone here work in the ap/ar field and know the starting salary with no experience but has masters degree in business? Asking for my husband. He’s looking to switch from being a full time mashgiach with decent salary to ap/ar but not sure he can if the starting salary is so low. I work very part time due to a physical handicap so he is the main breadwinner for the family.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:40 am
Your masters degree in business husband would be bored stiff doing ap/ar. Why is he looking at that?

monkeys

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:44 am
AP/AR is deathly boring. He’ll feel like he’s doing data entry. Definitely not a job for a breadwinner. Unless he’s going to be a manager or running the department... A masters in business should get him something a lot better.

mra01385

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:45 am
Cuz he doesn’t want the pressure and stress of being a full time cpa accountant. He also took accounting courses but does not have cpa.

monkeys

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:47 am
If he doesn’t want the pressure and stress then he should choose a different field. You need to fight for the top to make it.

mra01385

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:50 am
To monkeys, can you please explain when you say fight for the top to make it?

monkeys

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:58 am
Will he be happy sitting at a desk and entering invoices into a system? He definitely won’t make enough money to support a family that way. He will need to prove himself and work his way up to a management position. There are many people looking for those type of positions and without the CPA certification it will be even harder. He will need to prove that he is better for the job than everyone else. There is no such thing as no pressure if you want to make money in the accounting world.
If he really wants to do this then he should sit the CPA and try to get a job in a private company as apposed to the big 4. There will definitely be pressure but it will be better.
You can PM me for more details.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:18 am
Staying with local, smaller firms pays less but a lot less pressure although tax season requires a lot of overtime everywhere. It's definitely doable.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:19 am
monkeys wrote:
If he doesn’t want the pressure and stress then he should choose a different field. You need to fight for the top to make it.

That's not true. There are many paths in accounting that don't require fighting to the 'top', which I imagine means being an Audit partner in New York at E&Y or the like.

But it is work, and a lot of it. But pressure and stress generally are tied to having a job that can support a family.

mra01385

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:27 am
My husband doesn’t mind stress, but he cannot do a job where he will be coming home at 12am straight for an entire month during tax season. That will make him overly stressed and exhausted.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:32 am
mra01385 wrote:
My husband doesn’t mind stress, but he cannot do a job where he will be coming home at 12am straight for an entire month during tax season. That will make him overly stressed and exhausted.

Working in industry (ie internal accounting as opposed to public) does not generally have those kind of hours and is less stressful overall. Of course with a lower salary, but not as low as AP/AR.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:37 am
mra01385 wrote:

Not all accountants touch tax.

has he looked at positions in banks?

Maybe he should take an AP/AR job (if he can get one - he's overqualified) - and see how things work out. If he can get into a larger company he might be able to move around a bit... move into being a position where he doing more financial accounting work.

mra01385

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:42 am
To gold, he wants tried chase bank but they wanted him to work weekends which he can’t do cuz of shabbos.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:17 am
Would he be interested in getting a CMA, certified managerial accountant? This would still be much lower pressure than being a CPA yet it puts him at a higher level than other candidates

Because he will be soooo bored of AP/AR (disclaimer, I do ap/ar for a small company very part time, it would be very tedious full time, unless it was combined with other responsibilities) and the pay is minimal since it doesn’t require much skill beyond data entry and basic financial knowledge

mra01385

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:33 am
But how does my husband get a good paying job in the accounting/financial world without much experience? Most jobs want a minimum of 1-2 yrs experience.

PP31419

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 10:25 am
Where are you based. If you are in the monsey or Lakewood area I may have something for you. Accounting job with regular hours and would take without experience

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 11:54 am
I did it for quite a few years. I wasn't bored , in fact it was one of my favorite jobs ever.
Another fact, I'm quite the creative mind and am not really cut out for a desk job, but I loved that job anyway. Partly for the reasons op mentioned and partly because there was a really nice atmosphere in the office.
It's quite low paying though and your husband is overqualified, good luck finding the right fit!

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:26 pm
I worked for a big corporation in the AP field for a while. Although I absolutely loved it, I can see why one would consider it boring. I did not get paid very little but not too much either. I can imagine if I'd have a degree I'd want something higher up though.
He may have to work his way up, or if he lucks out to start at a higher level in general that's even better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics