Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Kids bedroom far from others
1  2  Next

momof2+?

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:30 pm
How do you feel about your kids sleeping in a bedroom that is not on your floor (of the house)? At what age would you 'let' a child sleep in the basement when everyone else sleeps upstairs? Is it a matter of the child being comfortable with it, or you?

I am looking to buy a house and weighing options...

THanks!

shmosmom

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 3:11 pm
I have a phobia of basements, so wouldn't put myself or children there.
Otherwise I think around 5/6 years old is fine.

honeymoon

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 3:15 pm
I would be ok putting a 7-8 year old on a different floor but not two floors down. To me 2 floors down is almost like in a different house. A teenager, would be fine though.

ohmygosh

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 3:44 pm
shmosmom wrote:
I have a phobia of basements, so wouldn't put myself or children there.
Otherwise I think around 5/6 years old is fine.

I think a 5/6 year old is way too young. Maybe a 10 year old but only if they're the type not to be scared.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 4:27 pm
Well my baby sleeps on a different floor of our house because that’s the setup of our rental. It’s been fine.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 1:01 pm
I like the space

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:48 pm
Probably at least tween/teen for basement. If you do buy a house with a basement bedroom, make sure there is an egress window or door for escape in case of fire.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:32 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Well my baby sleeps on a different floor of our house because that’s the setup of our rental. It’s been fine.

How old is your baby? I’m in an apt and my baby seems sooo far from me, so I’m trying to have my mind at ease

momof2+?

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:40 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

I imagine your baby wakes up in the middle of the night...what happens? Moniter?

momof2+?

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:41 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I like the space

😁 you're saying, you'd put YOURSELF in the basement?😁

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:42 pm
I put my (then) 10.5 year old and 9 year old together in the basement while we sleep on the 2nd floor. Going on year 2 and it's great.

momof2+?

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:44 pm
Some of the houses I have seen are split-levels or bi-levels. I think in this particular set-up the lower floor is underneath the other bedrooms floor.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:57 pm
Not sure but we have a house where the master and one bedroom are upstairs and there is another bedroom on main floor. Eventually we're going to move one of our kids down there. I've been wondering also what age would be normal to do that.

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:14 pm
My house is a ranch, so the basement is one floor down. One dd moved downstairs on her own volition at age 11/12. The rest of my kids are all too scared to sleep down there--even sharing a room!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:45 pm
momof2+? wrote:
I imagine your baby wakes up in the middle of the night...what happens? Moniter?

We kept her in her room until she was 6 months old. Then we moved her to the only other room in our place which is downstairs. We have a monitor but I can hear cry without the monitor. She was feeding often at night until she was a year old and it was annoying to go down the stairs and nurse her but it felt worth it to have our own room. If I was buying a place I would not choose a two bedroom with the rooms on separate floors but it’s been fine as a rental.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:08 am
momof2+? wrote:
😁 you're saying, you'd put YOURSELF in the basement?😁

THat too.

tweety1

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:13 am
Not before age 11/12 and also not by himself/herself.

momof2+?

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:57 pm
new idea.

Is it just as bad to have the kids upstairs and the parents downstairs?
(Just trying to figure out all possible options...)

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:18 pm
Kids bedrooms are supposed to be far away from the master. I'd allow it at any age, but with a monitor for small infants.

momof2+?

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:16 pm
nchr wrote:
Kids bedrooms are supposed to be far away from the master. I'd allow it at any age, but with a monitor for small infants.

Unique point of view, that I was hoping someone might have. What do you mean by "supposed to be"?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics