Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Minhag or Halacha? Eating meat on Friday..
1  2  Next

nnmom

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:40 pm
Title says it all.
I was told it is Halacha not to eat meat on Friday so one can be hungry for the shabbos meal.
Brand new info to me
Is it truly Halacha?

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:43 pm
We always eat meat/chicken as toamecha
I think it’s minhag

MommyM

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:49 pm
Never heard of not eating meat, but it is brought in Shulchon Aruch of not eating a meal - washing for bread - after a certain time to have an appetite for shabbos.

nnmom

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:51 pm
MommyM wrote:
Never heard of not eating meat, but it is brought in Shulchon Aruch of not eating a meal - washing for bread - after a certain time to have an appetite for shabbos.

That makes sense to me

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:55 pm
MommyM wrote:

My dh is makpid on this. I think it's not washing for a meal after chatzos on Friday. He has no problem eating meat on Friday though so I doubt it's a halacha.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:58 pm
nnmom wrote:
Title says it all.
I was told it is Halacha not to eat meat on Friday so one can be hungry for the shabbos meal.
Brand new info to me
Is it truly Halacha?

It’s Halacha not to have meat on Friday. Some people have a minhag to extend it to Thursday night too but many rabbonim don’t even allow tasting meat on Friday which will be served on Shabbos, some do, but it’s all rabbis I know who say you must absolutely not eat meat on Friday.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:59 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
My dh is makpid on this. I think it's not washing for a meal after chatzos on Friday. He has no problem eating meat on Friday though so I doubt it's a halacha.

Really? Have him ask his rabbi

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 2:00 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
We always eat meat/chicken as toamecha
I think it’s minhag

That’s about only being allowed to taste what will be served on Shabbos, not about having a full meat dish on Friday

MommyM

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 2:03 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
It’s Halacha not to have meat on Friday. Some people have a minhag to extend it to Thursday night too but many rabbonim don’t even allow tasting meat on Friday which will be served on Shabbos, some do, but it’s all rabbis I know who say you must absolutely not eat meat on Friday.

Do you know where this Halocha is from?

nnmom

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 2:06 pm
Would love to learn the source amother seagreen

simcha2

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 2:20 pm
The mishna Berura brings forward a custom some people have of eating a meat pie erev shabbat to represent the manna. While he says you don't have to do this, it certainly doesn't say not to.

:שהיה מכוסה למעלה ולמטה - בטל ואף זה מכוסה הבשר בין דפי העיסה:
ז(ז) ולא ראיתי וכו' - ובמקומותינו המנהג לאכלן [שכנה"ג]:

Metukah

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 1:57 pm

Do you have a source? I believe it is minhag, not halacha.

Both dh's family and mine eat meat on Friday. We have morei halacha in the family and I have never heard of this.

We don't wash for bread after chatzos.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:24 pm
My husband will hVe kugel salad or gargle for toameha but will not eat anything fleishigs. Not sure where that mingah comes from. He let’s me and the kids eat meat and chicken though

happyone

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:48 pm
I never heard of it. I attend many weekends in different walks of life through my career, chassidish, litvish, MO, yeshivish and usual friday afternoon serving is meat and kugel ir so. I come from chassidish background and we eat meat as well.

chicco

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:51 pm
Imasoftov...?

happyone

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:53 pm

when quoting HALACHA best to being sources!

happyone

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:56 pm

maybe the men that want to save money on meat and reserve for shabbos convince their wives its halacha. just a thought! or I'm about to learn something new when a source is given from a reliable halacha sefer.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:05 pm

It’s not Halacha. I’ve been on Yeshivish shabbatons and they served meat at the meal on Friday 4 hours before candlelight. It’s not the kind or organization that would go against Halacha. Also meat restaurants under hashgacha are open fridays. Serving and eating..

Don’t make out mincha gum to be Halacha just because it’s what you do.

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:12 pm
Maybe someone is confused. Catholics are forbidden to eat meat on Fridays because supposedly That Man died on a Friday. (One wonders how many Catholics still observe this. My guess would be not many. But I digress.)

I have never heard of Jews not eating meat on Fridays. I have heard of not eating a major meal so that one will have an appetite for the Shabbat meal. (For busy moms, Shabbat usually mean that a major meal is not happening anyway.) In EY, where if one were to eat a fleishik meal it would normally be lunch, one would of course refrain from having a fleishik lunch on Friday. But one is allowed to taste the Shabbat food to make sure it is properly seasoned and so on, and meat dishes are no exception. There is no restriction mentioned on the quantity that such tasting might involve. Some people taste-test quite a lot.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:19 pm
[quote="zaq"]Maybe someone is confused. Catholics are forbidden to eat meat on Fridays because supposedly That Man died on a Friday. (One wonders how many Catholics still observe this. My guess would be not many. But I digress.)

Wow, that would be a new one. It's one thing to have customs that have suspect origins (I.e. shlissel challah), but now we have a "halacha" from the Catholics... Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note