Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
DH insists on using grandfather's name Hebrew and English
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 5:58 am
camp123 wrote:
Are you planning to use the English name or the Hebrew one. If it's just an English name that's not really used then why does it matter what it is?

For my first 3 kids we mostly only use their Hebrew names but I also like their English names, which are pretty much their Hebrew name equivalents. So it would feel weird to me to have a son named, say, Yaakov but his legal name is Gerald, even if I only personally call him Yaakov. Because the name Gerald is still associated with him.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 6:14 am
So interesting my father that I named my baby for was also aharon and Alan, and went by Alan. I did have a relative asked if they could call my child alan and I was like no that's not his name. but that what he was called so it's odd like I always get asked what was my father called, and I was like I don't think anyone used to Hebrew name except for at the Torah . But even though I use his Hebrew name I feel it through my baby anyway.
Side note I don't give my children English names

amother
Red

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 6:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For my first 3 kids we mostly only use their Hebrew names but I also like their English names, which are pretty much their Hebrew name equivalents. So it would feel weird to me to have a son named, say, Yaakov but his legal name is Gerald, even if I only personally call him Yaakov. Because the name Gerald is still associated with him.

Sometimes we have to do things even if they feel weird.

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 6:47 am
ROFL wrote:
A totally different idea. What do you think of the Hebrews name Alon? Would your DH go for aahron Alon?

This is the perfect solution! Alon or Ilan, and whoever wants to call him Alan can do that

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 6:51 am
Ilan is a very nice name

syrima

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:19 am
Another vote for sticking with Aharon/Aaron. Add Alan as a middle name if you must. Just easier in the long run, otherwise when booking flights, applying to college, etc. you always need to think which name to use.
In our family we kind of "renamed" our grandparents to match the kids' names. So when we talk to Aharon about his Grandpa Alan, we will call him " Grandpa Aharon". No one minds.

sky

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:20 am
We did this. My sons English name is one that is strongly linked to Christianity. Has little to do with hebrew name except the first letter
It meant a lot my DH so we just did it.
Years later the English name is a cute joke. And it’s grown on all of us.

Just my experience.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

sky

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:22 am
syrima wrote:
Another vote for sticking with Aharon/Aaron. Add Alan as a middle name if you must. Just easier in the long run, otherwise when booking flights, applying to college, etc. you always need to think which name to use.
In our family we kind of "renamed" our grandparents to match the kids' names. So when we talk to Aharon about his Grandpa Alan, we will call him " Grandpa Aharon". No one minds.

Depend on the person.
It would bother my DH tremendously to change how he lovingly referred to his grandfather for many years.

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 7:28 am
syrima wrote:

Just when you talk to Aharon? Or to Grandpa Alan's face?
No offense but I cannot imagine doing this.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:06 pm
in our family it means referring to those loved ones who have passed and who we have named our kids in their memory by their Hebrew names.
Like instead of for example always referring to Bubby Jane as Bubby Jane A"H we will refer to her sometimes and/or in addition to as Bubby Raizel which was her Hebrew name and for which we named our daughter -- to strengthen the connection, to make and keep her memory alive to let our kids know who and why we named after these special people

HEviatar

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 2:00 pm
imasinger wrote:
If you call him Aharon in both languages, nobody can say you're not using grandfather's name.

And it's not so hard to pronounce in English. Certainly no more than many other names I see in secular society.

I agree, and think Aharon is a beautiful name!

It sounds like the situation is so difficult because you're concerned about distressing your husband, and it is true that having the baby's name as 'Alan' (or Aharon if you're both amendable) could greatly calm him and imbue your child's name with a unique warmth for him. On the other hand, don't be so accommodating that you are unsatisfied with your child's name, even though I believe such feelings would fade. Whatever everyones suggestions, it seems like the best course of action would be an open conversation where you detail all of these feelings exactly. To lay it out in a way that may be unhelpful but may too help verbalize your feelings: you both made this child, you'll together be nurturing them, and so you should together select a name.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 5:04 pm
My husband's name is Alan.
His parents chose it but they never pronounced it correctly. I know it's not a trendy or macho name, but I love him and the name is fine. It's as easy to say as breathing. Sometimes, with my family, I refer to my husband using his Hebrew name, and everyone laughs. They all love him too, and his name, Alan, is perfect.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:31 pm
do you call your children by their hebrew or English name? I can think of two people who didn't legally name their children the english "name" but use it. One I think pretty exclusively and the other one only the father as an endearing nickname so your husband will call child whatever he wants Wink

My friend's brother is Alan but they are sfardi, not sure if that matters?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names