Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is Bais Yaakov hashkafa?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:58 pm
I'm applying to preschool for my first. Trying to figure out where we fit. Always considered ourselves just frum. Maybe even MO, but from the outside we look like a lot of the families that send to BYs.

Just applied to one school and the letter said that they're looking for families that are serious about BY hashkafa, and I realized I don't even know what that is.

Also, what school in Brooklyn would be right for a JPF family? I want my dd in a school with other solidly frum families. We both work, husb learns at nite, no secular music but dd watches some programs. We're very simple and both come from OOT. Husb wears jeans but I guess he could stop for the right school. Secular studies are important to us.

I just want a place that is simple and frum, and there are a million schools in Brooklyn and I don't even know what Bais Yaakov hashkafa is Help

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:09 pm
Most Bais Yakovs would work. I'd look into the one you graduated from (unless there's a reason not to) or the local ones.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:33 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Most Bais Yakovs would work. I'd look into the one you graduated from (unless there's a reason not to) or the local ones.

Not helpful. OP said she’s from OOT, so her alma Mater (if she attended a BY—not all Orthodox Jewish schools are BY, you know) is out of the picture. Not to mention that if she had attended a BY she would presumably know what the BY hashkafa is, although not all BYs are created equal and some are more progressive than others. And if she weren’t from OOT she would already know if her alma mater were her speed or not.,

OP, I suggest contacting the schools you’re considering and asking the principals point blank about both the hashkafa and the student body of their particular schools. Some are more right wing than others. My dd’s schools were affiliated with BY but didn’t bear the BY name and as BYs go I think they were fairly liberal. But this wasn’t Brooklyn, which may be a whole different scene. Some Bklyn BYs are mostly or entirely chassidish, for example.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:40 pm
I know a family similar to yours in Lev BY and they're happy there.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:44 pm
Black hat
No tv
Filtered internet
Chashivus of Torah- kollel families or koveia itim
Tznius

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:46 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I know a family similar to yours in Lev BY and they're happy there.

I agree that Lev BY would be a good fit.
Also Prospect

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:53 pm
Prospect has stronger academics. It sounds more up your alley.. good luck

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:21 am
So "Bais Yaakov hashkafa" isn't a thing and it depends on the school?

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:50 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Black hat
No tv
Filtered internet
Tznius

This, more or less. In an effort to promote an intangible attitude, most BY schools also have a set of rules which affect external dress and conduct, also outside school. OP, I recommend you get a description and a rule book from current parents of each school you're considering. That should give you a good idea.

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 6:10 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Black hat
No tv
Filtered internet
Tznius

this sounds right to me.

azoygeshmak

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:07 pm
I always think of BY as solidly chareidi and quite right-wing, and it sounds from your description that the BY you are talking about is in that category.

Also note that the BYs in Brooklyn can be very competitive and care a lot about detailed standards. TV and jeans are definitely not part of the "acceptable" culture for these schools, in my understanding.

I may be generalizing too much, but I think many or most BYs in Brooklyn would insist on a serious dress code for both the girls and their parents, including exactly 27" skirt, thick stockings, and short sheitel length. Black and white for father, no jeans. Internet and cell phone use by the family, especially your DD, would probably be subject to a *lot* of restrictions.

I'm not saying it could not work, and I know there are non-mainstream BYs out there. I'd suggest observing the culture of the school firsthand as much as you can... and ask around about the school.

You might start by asking ladies you know from shul and from your community. If no one you know sends their kids there, it might be an indicator that this is not currently the right fit!

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:43 pm
azoygeshmak wrote:
I may be generalizing too much, but I think many or most BYs in Brooklyn would insist on a serious dress code for both the girls and their parents, including exactly 27" skirt, thick stockings, and short sheitel length. Black and white for father, no jeans. Internet and cell phone use by the family, especially your DD, would probably be subject to a *lot* of restrictions.

This is not just generalizing- it's outright inaccurate.

No school insists on 27" skirt for the family. Some try to teach 4 inches below the knee, but some don't. And if you look around at the BY girls in Flatbush, most of them are not wearing their skirts 4 inches below their knees.

Definitely not thick stockings- most girls wore 20 denier or less.

Short sheitel length? Again, that may be what they teach, but that's not what the clientele embodies. There's a mix in most of the mainstream BYs.

Black and white for father? More common than not, but not across the board. I had friends whose fathers didn't wear black and white.

Internet use by the family seems to be restricted in the yeshivos more than the BYs in Flatbush. BYA restricted the use of the girls themselves, but not the families.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:58 pm
Would you consider sending your daughter to a chabad school? They're generally more open minded and accepting.

azoygeshmak

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 11:10 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
This is not just generalizing- it's outright inaccurate.

No school insists on 27" skirt for the family. Some try to teach 4 inches below the knee, but some don't. And if you look around at the BY girls in Flatbush, most of them are not wearing their skirts 4 inches below their knees.

Definitely not thick stockings- most girls wore 20 denier or less.

Short sheitel length? Again, that may be what they teach, but that's not what the clientele embodies. There's a mix in most of the mainstream BYs.

Black and white for father? More common than not, but not across the board. I had friends whose fathers didn't wear black and white.

Internet use by the family seems to be restricted in the yeshivos more than the BYs in Flatbush. BYA restricted the use of the girls themselves, but not the families.

I didn't realize it was Flatbush. OP said "Brooklyn" and I had Boro Park in mind

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:09 am
New York is shrinking. I think the mainstream BY schools might be more open to accepting parents who will support the schools, not just re tuition. If they present themselves well, and maybe have some good references, they should be able to get into some of the schools mentioned.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:12 am
azoygeshmak wrote:
I didn't realize it was Flatbush. OP said "Brooklyn" and I had Boro Park in mind

For someone who's JPF? Doesn't seem to fit at all.

mlc

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:51 am
Prospect sounds like it would be a great fit. Did you consider looking into it?

As far as ‘bais Yaakov hashkafa’, I think it is relative. What one school considers Bais Yaakov hashkafa will not necessarily align with that of a different school.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:11 pm
BH not brooklyn............ and I thought here was getting right wing

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:41 pm
Generally according the BY hashkafa MO MO is wrong and their Rabbi's are simply confused and miseducated.
Just remembering this based on the 8 years later thread where people are disagreeing with each other.

That's what I was taught growing up and most of my friends were taught the same.
Most of my friends have MO family and have no issue being around them; they just secretly think that they are not on the correct path.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:10 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Generally according the BY hashkafa MO MO is wrong and their Rabbi's are simply confused and miseducated.
Just remembering this based on the 8 years later thread where people are disagreeing with each other.

That's what I was taught growing up and most of my friends were taught the same.
Most of my friends have MO family and have no issue being around them; they just secretly think that they are not on the correct path.

Yes! My BY type school didn’t ‘Let’ me go to stern (they didn’t send my transcripts, sat scores or write me letters of recommendation)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics