Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do you hold of the Eruv in Flatbush?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:26 am
OP, I would assume your rav knows Sephardi NY rabbanim. Can he give you names of someone to talk to, and will you be willing to accept/consider what they say?

edited after reading p. 2

Last edited by PinkFridge on Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:32 am
Rabbi eisenbach does not matir the eruv and does not check it
You can call him and find out who does
He himself does not hold by the eruv

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 8:45 am
I grew up on the UWS- we didn't hold by the eiruv there either. My MO friends did.

amother
White

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:00 am
Op, there is an inyan of 'Asei lecha rav'. If you are new to Flatbush, please find a rav to ask all your shailos to. It doesn't really work to go 'shopping around for heteirim'. If the rav you choose goes by the eiruv, by all means. But this doesn't sound hashkafically correct to me.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 9:17 am
dovebird wrote:
Agree 100%!! Can I ask which rabbi you held by when you were here? Did everyone in your community carry as well?

All my friends held by it and the eruv is sponsored in part by the shuls I went to, OZ and the Jewish Center.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 11:57 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Op, there is an inyan of 'Asei lecha rav'. If you are new to Flatbush, please find a rav to ask all your shailos to. It doesn't really work to go 'shopping around for heteirim'. If the rav you choose goes by the eiruv, by all means. But this doesn't sound hashkafically correct to me.

This is why I suggested getting a recommendation from her current rav, whom she should still stay in touch with.

dovebird

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:02 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:

If your not comfortable doing research before you follow a rabbi blindly, by all means. I am 100% confident in my level of “Frumkite” and do not find any problem with asking different rabbis what their opinion (not their psak) is. If your rav tells you that you must follow every single thing he holds, and can’t listen to anyone else- it becomes cult like. There are different rabbis who are experts in different areas, and I am looking for a rabbi who is an expert on the eruv and doesn’t just give me a bs answer about the reason we don’t carry. Times change and psaks change. Jewdaism is not a cult. You are allowed to ask questions and you are allowed to question the answers that you get.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:46 pm
this might interest you
http://www.rabbimintz.com/2007.....eruv/
written by a MO rabbi on the upper west side.

Divebird where you allign haskafically will make a difference on this issue.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:19 pm
Cheiny wrote:
It is absolutely not a valid eruv, please do not use it! If you ask any of the people who hold from it, which rabbis okay it, and which rabbis are in charge of checking it and maintaining it, you get the same answer: “No one knows.” It’s sad, they’re absolutely being mechallel Shabbos.

Wow !!! Amazing how knowledgeable you are ! And if I tell you the name of a rabbi who does permit it then you’ll change your opinion ??
I have to say that I’m impressed at your audacity to post such a statement under your screen name. So you must be the woman giving me dirty looks as I walk through the streets wheeling my stroller .
News flash : I am a shaitel wearing tznius woman married to a man who davens with a minyan 3x a day but I must be a bad Jew bec I carry on Shabbos .
It’s people like you and your judgmental ways who give Bklyn a bad rap.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:38 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Wow !!! Amazing how knowledgeable you are ! And if I tell you the name of a rabbi who does permit it then you’ll change your opinion ??
I have to say that I’m impressed at your audacity to post such a statement under your screen name. So you must be the woman giving me dirty looks as I walk through the streets wheeling my stroller .
News flash : I am a shaitel wearing tznius woman married to a man who davens with a minyan 3x a day but I must be a bad Jew bec I carry on Shabbos .

I actually throw you puzzled looks, wondering which Rav you hold by that allows it.

If you're Sefardi, I might accept that you have different rabbonim. Same if you're MO.

But if you look like me, I'm somewhat confused.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:13 pm
My grandfather is a RW rav in Flatbush. Growing up, I remember him saying the eruv is kosher but to only carry in our pockets (no strollers, bags etc) so as not to disrespect those who don’t hold of the eruv.

I do remember him saying we couldn’t carry on ocean parkway or past it, but I don’t remember details as I haven’t been there in a long time.

dovebird

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:24 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I actually throw you puzzled looks, wondering which Rav you hold by that allows it.

If you're Sefardi, I might accept that you have different rabbonim. Same if you're MO.

But if you look like me, I'm somewhat confused.

So there are only 3 views on every halachic matter? Sephardi, MO, and “people who look like you”? Hmmm...Interesting... Scratching Head

dovebird

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:26 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:

Could you PM me please?

Cheiny

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:34 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
If the men were the ones stuck at home with the babies, then of all of sudden the Eruv would be considered ok

Not by any man who doesn’t want to be mechallel Shabbos,

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:35 pm
dovebird wrote:
My sphardi rav from out of town told me the same thing. He claims the main reason why we don’t carry is because most people don’t. Which sounds dumb to me. Let’s all petition one Shabbat and all go out with strollers and then most people are carrying and then the problem is solved.

The problem is solved by everyone getting together and breaking shabbos?

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:38 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
But plenty of orthodox people, including me when I lived there, do hold by the eruv. So saying that they are all mechallel shabbos is very wrong.

There’s a serious problem when people who just want to be able to carry, rely on being able to use the eiruv without caring about whether it’s checked, allowed by reputable rabbis and don’t care is against what Reb Moishe paskened, so yes they’re being mechalel Shabbat— very unfortunate

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:39 pm
dovebird wrote:
Umm I’ve seen plenty of frum people who carry.

Frum is a relative term. There are people who look frum who do many other severe sins too

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:40 pm
dovebird wrote:
So there are only 3 views on every halachic matter? Sephardi, MO, and “people who look like you”? Hmmm...Interesting... Scratching Head

The basically monolithic Litvish, non-MO view is that the eruv is pasul.

My grandfather was a big MO rabbi in Flatbush for 50 years. He held of the eruv.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:41 pm
dovebird wrote:
If your not comfortable doing research before you follow a rabbi blindly, by all means. I am 100% confident in my level of “Frumkite” and do not find any problem with asking different rabbis what their opinion (not their psak) is. If your rav tells you that you must follow every single thing he holds, and can’t listen to anyone else- it becomes cult like. There are different rabbis who are experts in different areas, and I am looking for a rabbi who is an expert on the eruv and doesn’t just give me a bs answer about the reason we don’t carry. Times change and psaks change. Jewdaism is not a cult. You are allowed to ask questions and you are allowed to question the answers that you get.

You sound like you’re only interested in finding someone who’ll tell you you can carry

dovebird

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:45 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
The problem is solved by everyone getting together and breaking shabbos?

It’s not breaking Shabbat if it’s a kosher eruv that we just don’t hold by “because most people don’t”.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries