Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Recent measles
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:36 am
Now that sukkos is over, has there been any measles cases recently? With people going to uman where there still an outbreak, and visitors from israel, I was wondering if measles would flare up again, but I haven't heard of any new cases recently. Does this mean this subject is finally over and done with?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 11:40 am
My understanding is that the outbreak is over and I have seen no news about the measles for several weeks.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:31 pm
This is how it works for years already. Diseases come in waves. Right now mostly everyone is immune whether through MMR boosters or through measles infection. Even if someone does import a new case of measles, it can't spread as much. Give it another 10 years or so when MMR immunity wears off and we have many more newly unvaccinated kids that an outbreak can occur again.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:48 pm
It was said there was a case in Monsey brought from on Israel on yom tov.

I was at a nyc hospital today that had sign if you are from Rockland, wmsbg or Boro park....

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:12 pm
There was a case in NY related to travel and not previous outbreak but I dont think there are active warnings now. Call your health dept.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:23 pm
Dankbar, can I ask which hospital

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:24 pm
Mt sinai

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:04 pm
Immunity wears off after several years of being vaccinated?

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:07 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

No, 2 vaccines provide lifetime protection for about 97% of individuals.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:26 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

It can. That's why many people now either got a 3rd booster or checked their titers.
Pregnancy can also lower immunity.

Plenty of vaccinated adults got the measles now.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:31 pm
Denim I agree .my friend fully vaxxed got measles....
So why’s everyone so quick to blame the unvaxxed?could be vaccinated adult brought it in???

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 11:24 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
So why’s everyone so quick to blame the unvaxxed?could be vaccinated adult brought it in???

The person who infected Detroit assumed that he had the measles as a child and didn't realize that he was that sick. He was not vaccinated for that reason.
Large groups of non-immune people caused the virus to spread but a person who vaccinated had at least made the effort to stop the outbreak.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 2:22 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Three out of every 100 vaccinated individuals is not immune. The other 97 are immune for life. That's why unvaccinated individuals are a risk for everyone else as well.

If you look at large-scale outbreaks like in Israel (over 4000 cases, probably almost 5000 by now), only a handful of measles patients received 2 doses of the MMR, while the rest were unvaccinated or partially vaccinated.

There's no question who the culprits are.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 3:46 am
southernbubby wrote:
The person who infected Detroit assumed that he had the measles as a child and didn't realize that he was that sick. He was not vaccinated for that reason.
Large groups of non-immune people caused the virus to spread but a person who vaccinated had at least made the effort to stop the outbreak.

The first Monsey resident who caught it from her Israeli nephew remembered having the measles as a child as well.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 3:56 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
The first Monsey resident who caught it from her Israeli nephew remembered having the measles as a child as well.

Oh, no! Measles doesn't provide perfect immunity after all!
I thought measles was great and the vaccine was Big Pharma trash?!?!

tweety1

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 6:53 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
It can. That's why many people now either got a 3rd booster or checked their titers.
Pregnancy can also lower immunity.

Plenty of vaccinated adults got the measles now.

My dh and I both got the shot. I despite being pregnant am still immuned and dh is not. So go figure....

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:09 am
Please continue to vacinate. It is extremely important. I even think it should be clarified during a shiduch. Just as an example there is still polio out in some countries! Lo aleinu. You want to reduce chances. I cringe when I see at my doctors office where I work a seven year old without any or some polio shots! I also can't stand when a mother asks if her child is up to date while the imunization record is empty... I said: you should remember that you did not bring your 2 year old even once for shots. She said oh maybe my husband did, I will ask him... What is the trick up her sleve? Does she get points for inquiring? There were 33 polios in the world in 2018!!!!! Sad

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:38 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Three out of every 100 vaccinated individuals is not immune. The other 97 are immune for life. That's why unvaccinated individuals are a risk for everyone else as well.

If you look at large-scale outbreaks like in Israel (over 4000 cases, probably almost 5000 by now), only a handful of measles patients received 2 doses of the MMR, while the rest were unvaccinated or partially vaccinated.

There's no question who the culprits are.

There is medical advice coming out now that adults should check titers to see if they are still immune.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:41 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Please continue to vacinate. It is extremely important. I even think it should be clarified during a shiduch. Just as an example there is still polio out in some countries! Lo aleinu. You want to reduce chances. I cringe when I see at my doctors office where I work a seven year old without any or some polio shots! I also can't stand when a mother asks if her child is up to date while the imunization record is empty... I said: you should remember that you did not bring your 2 year old even once for shots. She said oh maybe my husband did, I will ask him... What is the trick up her sleve? Does she get points for inquiring? There were 33 polios in the world in 2018!!!!! Sad

Diphtheria is resurging in Venezuela due to the fall of healthcare. It's also important to get the meningitis shot.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:44 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

All were as a result of the vaccine! They were vaccine strain polio. Just saying.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics