Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving away from Stamford Hill

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 11:17 am
Ive been living in Stamford Hill nearly all my life but I find within the last ten years it has changed dramatically. Its become alot more chasidish and I dont feel I fit in so well. We are thinking of moving to Edgeware but not sure about the change. If I would move Id wait till my daughter finishes juniors in a years time and then move. Does anyone feel the same?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 11:52 am
I'm hearing that Golders Green has become more chassidish also - so Edgware is definitely your best option!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 11:54 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I'm hearing that Golders Green has become more chassidish also - so Edgware is definitely your best option!

Lol. Golders Green is not chassidish by any means. Chassidim are a tiny minority there.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:03 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Lol. Golders Green is not chassidish by any means. Chassidim are a tiny minority there.

"Becoming" more chassidish then - it's definitely changing Tongue Out

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:17 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
"Becoming" more chassidish then - it's definitely changing Tongue Out

That's not true. If anything it's becoming slightly more 'modern' over the years, certainly not more chassidish. Don't know where you get your information from.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:18 pm
I'm in Finchley and I love it. Buying a house is extortionate but that's true of all London

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:24 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
That's not true. If anything it's becoming slightly more 'modern' over the years, certainly not more chassidish. Don't know where you get your information from.

From the people who moved out because it's gotten more chassidish!
(Also from what I see in KK)

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:26 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
From the people who moved out because it's gotten more chassidish!
(Also from what I see in KK)

If by KK you mean Kosher Kingdom that's because they've been advertising heavily in SH for the past few years, thereby garnering a SH shopping clientele. The people you see may not actually be living in GG.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:31 pm
I'll just crawl back into my own daled amot (not GG!) and leave you all to get on with it...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 1:19 pm
I actually had the impression that GG was also becoming more chasidish thats why I was thinking of Edgeware.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 1:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I actually had the impression that GG was also becoming more chasidish thats why I was thinking of Edgeware.

THANK YOU!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 1:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The only way golders green is more chassidish than Edgeware is beause it's a much larger community. Edgeware is more of small random hodge podge of people. If you're coming from SH, you won't call GG even remotely chassidish. It's like apple and oranges.

Though you might also want to consider Hendon, at the edge of GG.

Debbie

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 1:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ive been living in Stamford Hill nearly all my life but I find within the last ten years it has changed dramatically. Its become alot more chasidish and I dont feel I fit in so well. We are thinking of moving to Edgeware but not sure about the change. If I would move Id wait till my daughter finishes juniors in a years time and then move. Does anyone feel the same?

I also live in Stamford Hill and I completely agree with you,it has definitely become a lot more Chasidish than it was when I moved here 30 years ago.
Edgware is a very nice community, somewhat quieter than Stamford Hill but the times I've visited I've found the people friendly.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:07 pm
I have lived in GG all my life. There are definitely more chasidish families here than when I was growing up but in no way can you compare it to SH!! And I’ve been there plenty plenty throughout the years. Besides for the Gerrer shteibel where most people don’t look all that chasidish, we have one big chasidish shul here in GG and it’s on GG road so on Shabbos walking down it you will get to see all the garb: but they are all lovely people and so why would I mind?

There are still majority non chasidish living in GG and I don’t think that will ever change.

Edgware as someone else said is a big mix and you probably have more chasidim there as a percentage than you would in GG as it is a smaller community.

And yes- kosher kingdom is an attraction to those from SH as there is plenty there which you can’t get in any other shop locally or in SH.

Good luck with your decision.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:24 pm
Edgeware or Hendon would both be good fits for you. Nice, frum people, but a mix of types. Much less emphasis on conformity.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:50 pm
Thanks for all your replies. Its a shame that stamford hill has changed so much. All my litvishe friends have moved and their parents are moving to them. Tottenham Adass is a dying community.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:02 pm
Even the moisdes dont cater anymore for the litviher oilem. Its such a shame😕

Debbie

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 2:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. Its a shame that stamford hill has changed so much. All my litvishe friends have moved and their parents are moving to them. Tottenham Adass is a dying community.

I daven in Tottenham Adass and I agree with you; my husband really thinks that the Shul will close in not too many years.
As I said in a previous post I moved here 30 years ago,then it was a more mixed Frum community.
Just to add that I moved here all those years ago as a new BT; if I was a new BT today I would quite likely find Stamford Hill rather overwhelming.

Last edited by Debbie on Mon, Nov 11 2019, 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Debbie

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 2:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Even the moisdes dont cater anymore for the litviher oilem. Its such a shame😕

That's one of the reasons my married daughter gave for not living in Stamford Hill 'Where will my children go to school?'
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating