Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When to consider growth hormones?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

nchr

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:48 pm
giselle wrote:
If you wouldn’t say it in real life, don’t say it hiding behind an anonymous screen name online.

This post can be both accurate and inaccurate. You mean if it's too rude to say, don't say, but that is not what is going on...

Would you ever discuss your sisters children taking GH in real life? I wouldn't. Would you ever give someone advice IRL about their kids medical needs? I wouldn't. Would you ever discuss your s3z life? I wouldn't.

Would you ever discuss your marriage? Your personal turn ons? Your opinions? Your kids behavior? Your favorite food? Your shidduch preferences? I wouldn't. Not even with my siblings.

I may IRL discuss that average height is 5'4 for a woman and 5'9 for a male in the US but more like 5'6 for a female and 5'11 for a male of European descent. But not more than that because it is not socially appropriate whereas online it is, just like the above subjects are (either under a sn or as amother)

I understand that I did not need to tell people my personal preference (although I was responding to a poster who said she hadn't realized some people would feel a male at 5'6 is too short and I did with my sn as per the rules). Height is something that is a major turn on or turn off for people but it is not a moral flaw or positive.

No one is less of a person because of height, weight, etc. Obviously, though, someone who is very short is going to have a more difficult time with some things, but that doesnt mean they are less of a person or human being- in fact, it may make things like shidduchim easier because you can automatically cross off those people who have an issue with it.

Many people wont do shidduchim with our kids because some people only want blondes, or wont like that I work full time, etc. If anything, there can be more of a moral issue with a woman working full time as people can feel you made a mistake whereas no one can blame someone for their height (most of the time). But that is fine, because I made my decision about working and because those people just help us decide who to not marry.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:48 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Honestly I am just a bit taller then you but under 5 feet I am short and ok with it. Never had the option to go on growth hormones and my pediatrician didn't recommend it. But I will never say it doesn't affect me driving a car I need a pillow to bost me and even if I put down the sun viser the glare gets me Bec I sit shorter. It's hard to reach things in the store so yes I will climb the shelves but not if I am pregnant so I need to wait for someone to walk past me then ask them to help or go track down a store employee. needing a chair to reach my cabinets when u have guests I have them reach things for me . Also I had drs tell me I would need a c- section Bec I am short Can't Believe It but thank goodness I stood my ground on that.

Lol u literally described my life Smile I had very easy deliveries, no one ever told me I would need c section and my babies were close to 7lb which I considered beautiful considering my height

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 6:30 am
nchr wrote:
This post can be both accurate and inaccurate. You mean if it's too rude to say, don't say, but that is not what is going on...

Would you ever discuss your sisters children taking GH in real life? I wouldn't. Would you ever give someone advice IRL about their kids medical needs? I wouldn't. Would you ever discuss your s3z life? I wouldn't.

Would you ever discuss your marriage? Your personal turn ons? Your opinions? Your kids behavior? Your favorite food? Your shidduch preferences? I wouldn't. Not even with my siblings.

I may IRL discuss that average height is 5'4 for a woman and 5'9 for a male in the US but more like 5'6 for a female and 5'11 for a male of European descent. But not more than that because it is not socially appropriate whereas online it is, just like the above subjects are (either under a sn or as amother)

I understand that I did not need to tell people my personal preference (although I was responding to a poster who said she hadn't realized some people would feel a male at 5'6 is too short and I did with my sn as per the rules). Height is something that is a major turn on or turn off for people but it is not a moral flaw or positive.

No one is less of a person because of height, weight, etc. Obviously, though, someone who is very short is going to have a more difficult time with some things, but that doesnt mean they are less of a person or human being- in fact, it may make things like shidduchim easier because you can automatically cross off those people who have an issue with it.

Many people wont do shidduchim with our kids because some people only want blondes, or wont like that I work full time, etc. If anything, there can be more of a moral issue with a woman working full time as people can feel you made a mistake whereas no one can blame someone for their height (most of the time). But that is fine, because I made my decision about working and because those people just help us decide who to not marry.

Jewish people have historically not been known as tall on average.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:14 am
Just want to say that if some people choose not to look into my kids as possible shidduchim due to their height (or lack thereof), it's their loss. I have full faith that my children will grow up to be wonderful adults. The people in mine and my husband's families did, despite our vertical challenges Wink

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:57 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Jewish people have historically not been known as tall on average.

Actually not entitely true - it is more of an antisemitic stereotype. Jewish ppl are generally a similar height to those of their genetic origins (I.e. Jewish ppl from Latvia or Serbia should have similar heights as non Jewish Latvians or Serbians). People used to be much shorter and it is possible Jewish people could have been shorter if they were poorer, etc. However, with arranged marriages - shorter ppl tend to marry short people and then you have a different situation...

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:21 am
nchr wrote:
Average height in the US is 5'4 for a woman and 5'9 for man, but that includes individuals of Asian and Hispanic descent who may be immigrants and may have had diseases like measles, etc. or poor pediatric care, which stunt growth and impact height. Accordingly, for a white individual of European decent, average is more like 5'6 for a woman and 5'11 for a man.

5'6 is very short for a man, it is like a woman who is 5'1. Some people don't care about these things, but some do. For my children, I wouldn't consider a bochur under 6'0 or a girl under 5'7 but would obviously have a discussion with them about it and see if it bothers them. Vain or not, it is what it is...

I saw this post on Friday and didn't get a chance to respond.

Guess what? We wouldn't consider a girl who is over 5'4" for our sons, for the same reasons... I don't think it's vain to want to marry someone that's more similar to you and we will iyh do the same thing.

We think shorter is better, you think taller is better. Good for you and good for us! That's why shidduchim are individual and not "one size fits all"...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:59 am
(Am I abnormal for not thinking either is better? Height to me isn't something that comes up on my radar of asking about a potential shidduch. It's the person that matters to me, not the "package".)

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:15 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
(Am I abnormal for not thinking either is better? Height to me isn't something that comes up on my radar of asking about a potential shidduch. It's the person that matters to me, not the "package".)

A boy who is 5'6" or 5'7" and weighs 115 pounds may not be interested in a girl who is too tall... it's not better or worse, it just is the way it is.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 5:25 am
This is a old thread.
please dont answer if you dont want to.
dont bash that bumped this.

I keep reading on here that both parents are short so dont expect kids to be too tall. its genetic.

I keep thinking maybe its hereditery that the parents come from families that have growth hormone deficiencies
or other problems causing short height which has been passed on. someone started the short height but maybe there was a problem that was never investigated or treated and passed down the generations?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 5:51 am
amother Magnolia wrote:
This is a old thread.
please dont answer if you dont want to.
dont bash that bumped this.

I keep reading on here that both parents are short so dont expect kids to be too tall. its genetic.

I keep thinking maybe its hereditery that the parents come from families that have growth hormone deficiencies
or other problems causing short height which has been passed on. someone started the short height but maybe there was a problem that was never investigated or treated and passed down the generations?

To bolster your point, I know plenty of children of two very short parents who ARE taking growth hormones so presumably there is some merit to what you are saying.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 5:55 am
amother Cerulean wrote:
To bolster your point, I know plenty of children of two very short parents who ARE taking growth hormones so presumably there is some merit to what you are saying.

thanks for responding.

wondering if anyone knows the name of the condition when gh is sufficient but body not using it properly?

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 6:22 am
[quote

wondering if anyone knows the name of the condition when gh is sufficient but body not using it properly?[/quote]

I’m not sure if this is what you’re referring to but my son is doing the injections. He has normal hormone levels but is SHOX gene deficient.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 6:31 am
amother Blush wrote:
[quote

wondering if anyone knows the name of the condition when gh is sufficient but body not using it properly?

I’m not sure if this is what you’re referring to but my son is doing the injections. He has normal hormone levels but is SHOX gene deficient.[/quote]

I wonder - will have to google it. any other symptoms?

is this hereditary? can it be passed on to his kids?
did you test through a blood test?

did you test his gh levels as a child?
once they reach puberty does gh go down?

thanks so much

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 7:16 am
amother Magnolia wrote:
I wonder - will have to google it. any other symptoms?

is this hereditary? can it be passed on to his kids?
did you test through a blood test?

did you test his gh levels as a child?
once they reach puberty does gh go down?

thanks so much

It is found in a blood test. I believe there is a hereditary component though my others are fine. His growth hormone levels are tested regularly and are normal.
It’s not a big deal at all, I wouldn’t worry about passing to his kids.
Also, a tall person can have this deficiency and never know ( they may be normal height though shorter than expected based on their parents height) but since my family is short, we found it.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 7:19 am
amother Blush wrote:
It is found in a blood test. I believe there is a hereditary component though my others are fine. His growth hormone levels are tested regularly and are normal.
Also, a tall person can have this deficiency and never know ( they may be normal height though shorter than expected based on their parents height) but since my family is short, we found it.

thanks so much for explaining.

has your child gone through puberty?

do gh levels change once they go through or have gone through puberty?

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 7:27 am
amother Blush wrote:

what do you mean you are short family so found it?

why did you think it was a problem if you are short?

anon23

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:28 am
Can I ask what insurance those of you who did growth hormones are on? No insurance covers it completely, to my knowledge, as there is a drug copay, but that is quite pricey, too.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:32 am
I did not read the whole thread but my daughter who is turning 11 soon has been taking growth hormones for almost a year. She was the shortest in her class and off the charts completely. Preliminary bloodwork showed low growth factor. We did more extensive testing and the results showed that she was growth hormone deficient. Since starting she has grown 4 inches. The shot is not such a big deal and she does it herself. Insurance will cover if if you are deficient. Your copay will depend on your insurance policy.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:34 am
To clarify further my other children are not as short for their age as she is. If you are unsure go for testing as having all the information will help you decide what to do.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:55 am
amother Eggplant wrote:
I did not read the whole thread but my daughter who is turning 11 soon has been taking growth hormones for almost a year. She was the shortest in her class and off the charts completely. Preliminary bloodwork showed low growth factor. We did more extensive testing and the results showed that she was growth hormone deficient. Since starting she has grown 4 inches. The shot is not such a big deal and she does it herself. Insurance will cover if if you are deficient. Your copay will depend on your insurance policy.

sometimes they can be deficient but later on catch up/ the body just sorts itself out.

I think it was written in the family first junior. thats why some kids are short when they are young but then overtake their peers when they get older.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics