Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
OU in Israel is different than the US?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:37 pm
I noticed someone posted this on a different thread. Is this true?

I always buy OU here (eg. some Elite chocolates are OU rather than Badatz) because I thought OU is OU. In what way is it different?

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:45 pm
OU is OU . They have different reps going to different places, sure, because they don’t always have someone local, but all mashgichim for OU must follow OU standards. Of course in chutz laaretz there is no issue of Truma, maaser and shvi’it which are issues for produce of EY. OU may or may not rely on heter mechirah.

Last edited by zaq on Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:46 pm
zaq wrote:
OU is OU . They have different reps going to different places, sure, because they don’t always have someone local, but all mashgichim for OU must follow OU standards.

Makes sense. I was confused though because someone wrote on a different thread that they eat OU in the US, but they won't eat it in Israel because it's different.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:53 pm
It's super common for people to only eat the israeli or usa OU.
Not sure why though. Perhaps there are different.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Makes sense. I was confused though because someone wrote on a different thread that they eat OU in the US, but they won't eat it in Israel because it's different.

Badatz Yerushalayim is viewed as THE ultimate hechsher in EY so a lot of people prefer to rely on it for everything for convenience. Furthermore some people are more stringent when in EY (or especially in Yerushalayim the way some people adopt extra stringencies during asseret Yemei Teshuvah.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 6:10 pm
I do know people, which includes me, that will eat everything OU in America, with my Rabbi's approval, but was told that the level of OU in Israel is not the same. I don't have enough knowledge about what is different but was told very expliclity what hechsherim I could rely on and OU was not one of them

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 6:22 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I do know people, which includes me, that will eat everything OU in America, with my Rabbi's approval, but was told that the level of OU in Israel is not the same. I don't have enough knowledge about what is different but was told very expliclity what hechsherim I could rely on and OU was not one of them

Even items that are produced in Israel, but sold in the US as well? Eg. the elite chocolates are sold widely in the US and some only have OU.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions