Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Is hiring an organizer worth it if...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:27 pm
I'm a really lazy, messy person?
I'm scared that I'm gonna mess up all the systems they put into place.
But iij do want to hire them for my garage which I dont use often but I need to be functional.

What do you think?

SuperWify

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:44 pm
Hire her first just for the garage then wait to see how it works out.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:46 pm
sounds like you need a housekeeper.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:47 pm
I like superwify's idea.

If your house has a really cool organization system that is very functional and nice to look at and low maintenance, it'll be so much easier to keep things nice. Especially that you say you are a lazy person.....

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:41 pm
Get rid of stuff. Less stuff, less organizing.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 11:50 pm
Y E S.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 3:04 pm
Organizers are like physical therapists: if you think they’re gonna do their magic while you watch and hey presto it’s all cured forever, you’re doomed to disappointment.

The job of both professions is to help you figure out what you want and need, and teach you the techniques or exercises to maintain your success. Just as you have to continue doing your PT exercises between visits and after PT ends, so you have to continue the good habits your organizer shows you. Sure, s/he can whip your house into Instagrammable shape, but it will be a shambles in no time if you don’t continue putting things away where they belong, decluttering regularly, emptying the trash, and so on.

There are two concepts people conflate all the time: organization and tidiness. They go hand in hand but are not the same. If you take a pile of stuff and lay it all out, line it up, and pile it nice and straight, it’s neat, but is it organized? Not if the pile includes food packages, bills, letters, books, folded laundry, craft supplies and a flowerpot. OTOH If you toss all your baking supplies in a pile in this corner, your dirty laundry in a pile in that corner, your produce in a pile over there and your bills in a heap over yonder, you may be organized after a fashion but tidy you are not.

Either way, your organizer can teach you what to do, devise a system, provide the hardware—maybe; not all do—even put everything in a logical place but it’s up to you to keep it up. If you’re like the hubby of the OP on another thread who wants to be able to dump his stuff any old place and drops his dirty underwear in front of the hamper rather than in it, well, save your money because no matter how much you spend on an organizer, it will be like poetry written in beach sand. One good wave will undo the whole thing and you’ll be back to square one. You’d be amazed how quickly things revert to chaos.

And that, my friend, pretty much defines life itself. All of Creation, even. The never-ending process of converting chaos into order requires an ongoing input of energy. Nature “likes” chaos. Chemists call it “entropy” . To put things in order, like assembling atoms into molecules, or piles of random laundry into neat stacks, requires the investment of energy. Over and over and over again.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 3:10 pm
zaq wrote:
Organizers are like physical therapists: if you think they’re gonna do their magic while you watch and hey presto it’s all cured forever, you’re doomed to disappointment.

The job of both professions is to help you figure out what you want and need, and teach you the techniques or exercises to maintain your success. Just as you have to continue doing your PT exercises between visits and after PT ends, so you have to continue the good habits your organizer shows you. Sure, s/he can whip your house into Instagrammable shape, but it will be a shambles in no time if you don’t continue putting things away where they belong, decluttering regularly, emptying the trash, and so on.

There are two concepts people conflate all the time: organization and tidiness. They go hand in hand but are not the same. If you take a pile of stuff and lay it all out, line it up, and pile it nice and straight, it’s neat, but is it organized? Not if the pile includes food packages, bills, letters, books, folded laundry, craft supplies and a flowerpot. OTOH If you toss all your baking supplies in a pile in this corner, your dirty laundry in a pile in that corner, your produce in a pile over there and your bills in a heap over yonder, you may be organized after a fashion but tidy you are not.

Either way, your organizer can teach you what to do, devise a system, provide the hardware—maybe; not all do—even put everything in a logical place but it’s up to you to keep it up. If you’re like the hubby of the OP on another thread who wants to be able to dump his stuff any old place and drops his dirty underwear in front of the hamper rather than in it, well, save your money because no matter how much you spend on an organizer, it will be like poetry written in beach sand. One good wave will undo the whole thing and you’ll be back to square one. You’d be amazed how quickly things revert to chaos.

And that, my friend, pretty much defines life itself. All of Creation, even. The never-ending process of converting chaos into order requires an ongoing input of energy. Nature “likes” chaos. Chemists call it “entropy” . To put things in order, like assembling atoms into molecules, or piles of random laundry into neat stacks, requires the investment of energy. Over and over and over again.

Haha I guess im screwed.
I hired her for the garage and nothing else. Hopefully we use it infrequently enough that it will be ok.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:20 pm
Fantastic analysis Zaq! thanks for posting

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 5:28 am
Nah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics